Help me with a conundrum

gwalchmai

5 minutes ago, Zonny said:

“A bucket”? You sound like my Ex daughter in law who called one night and asked if she could come over the next morning to make cookies. “Sure”, I said. 

She showed up with a couple of tubes of “slice and bake” Lol. I said, I thought we were making cookies not slicing cookies. 

Two things I hate about cooking.  Making Cookie Dough and mixing pie crust with a fork.  I often bake pies without crust rather than put more time in the crust than in the pie.

My dough comes in a large bucket so I don't have to go through withdrawals.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

Do you have a food processor? Great way to make pie dough. Also, a pastry cutter is much quicker than a fork. My mother never had either one. She used nothing but a fork. The crust is usually my favorite part of a pie.  Certainly if it’s a fruit pie like ?, ?. Not really a fan of mushy fruit but I like the crust with the fruit “goo” on it  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zonny said:

Do you have a food processor? Great way to make pie dough. Also, a pastry cutter is much quicker than a fork. My mother never had either one. She used nothing but a fork. The crust is usually my favorite part of a pie.  Certainly if it’s a fruit pie like ?, ?. Not really a fan of mushy fruit but I like the crust with the fruit “goo” on it  

I agree with you about that method of making the crust.  However, when I was first started on making my own pies my mother showed me how to make the crust with a fork so it was delicate and flakey.  But after she left, I was 12 years old and the crust took too much time. The pie was the objective.  So crust got down graded to only a shell to hold the filling.  None of my sisters could bake and my father didn't although he was good at cooking meals.

I even corrupted my wife so that neither one of us puts crust in a Custard pie.  Just the glass pie pan.

14 minutes ago, Zonny said:

yep!     I don't have any of those new fangled gadgets.  Old school only.

I should explain for those eavesdropping on this.  When you roll or "work" pie crust to much it gets hard and crusty instead of flakey and delicate.

Sometimes I will use frozen pie crusts but only to hold the filling cause they are like chewing plastic.

Edited by janice6