Will Aggressive COVID-19 Control Measures Cost More Than They Are Worth?

gwalchmai

Interesting discussion. https://reason.com/2020/03/18/will-aggressive-covid-19-control-measures-cost-more-than-they-are-worth/

Oxford University economist Ian Goldin is even more pessimistic, suggesting that the response to COVID-19 could lead to an "economic crisis" in the United States that "perhaps even eclips[es] that of 2008," which cost an estimated $22 trillion. McKinsey & Company likewise sketches a scenario in which "the global economic impact is severe, approaching the global financial crisis of 2008–09."

In the worst-case scenario imagined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—a projection that assumes efforts at containment and suppression are largely ineffectual—COVID-19 causes 1.7 million deaths in the United States. Applying the "value of a statistical life" (VSL) used by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to measure the cost-effectiveness of regulations (about $8 million in current dollars), the cost of that outcome would be huge: $13.6 trillion. Using the somewhat higher VSL calculated by Vanderbilt University economist W. Kip Viscusi based on labor market data ($9.6 million), the cost would be $16.3 trillion.

Still, "if it saves one life..."

More at link.

• Sad 2

Right....and that...angers me.  

It takes a lot to anger me.

Where is the UN?  The WHO?

Oh, right, just like the phone company.

They'll eat their lobster, and steak, and pretend to lead the world.

Where's my pitch fork?  Hold my torch.

UN out of the US.  US out of the UN.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Historian said:

And what is China doing about ensuring they minimize this from becoming an issue again? 

Eliminating anyone responsible for the virus getting loose.  Communist have interesting ways of solving problems and making object lessons at the same time.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, PPQer said:

Eliminating anyone responsible for the virus getting loose.  Communist have interesting ways of solving problems and making object lessons at the same time.

You can bet they just wrote off people.   No doubt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

It's China!  They can always make more people and do it cheaper than anyone else.

Two buddies of mine married girl's from China.  Nice girls.  Lovely.   Even had import papers.

My two buddies have had a total of 6 kids with these very pretty girls from China.

One could accurately say all six were made in America but assembled with Chinese parts.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Historian said:

Two buddies of mine married girl's from China.  Nice girls.  Lovely.   Even had import papers.

My two buddies have had a total of 6 kids with these very pretty girls from China.

One could accurate say all six were made in America but assembled with Chinese parts.

I'm sure those parts passed critical inspection prior to incorporation into the final product!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I'm sure those parts passed critical inspection prior to incorporation into the final product!

Oh, i'm sure they did!  Pretty is an understatement.  I have zero sympathy for those two guys.

Especially, the one who's wife went to school here and is a license professional therapeutic massage expert.  I called him once and he said he had to finish his weekly back massage.  

*$#!  I ask my wife to rub my back and she says to do it myself.  She claims i just want it to be something else (she's right, but that's besides the point!)

Then she tells me i should have married a Chinese babe instead of a country girl.   Nah...i like the one i have.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Historian said:

Oh, i'm sure they did!  Pretty is an understatement.  I have zero sympathy for those two guys.

I confess to having an appreciation for Asian ladies.  Real ladies, not those "funny" ones.

I looked up why the Asian women don't seem to age as quickly as other races.  it seems that Asians skin is the thickest of all races and thus far less prone to wrinkles.

Northern Europeans are the most prone to ageing wrinkles.  Sorry ladies!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, janice6 said:

I confess to having an appreciation for Asian ladies.  Real ladies, not those "funny" ones.

Interesting.  I had no idea.  I thought it might be dietary.  Generally speaking they tend to have a good balance of things. 

If my buddies invite me to lunch they don't have to ask twice.  Both those girls can cook.  I mean cook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Historian said:

Interesting.  I had no idea.  I thought it might be dietary.  Generally speaking they tend to have a good balance of things. 

If my buddies invite me to lunch they don't have to ask twice.  Both those girls can cook.  I mean cook.

I don't know if it's a bias on my part or true, but the Asian women pictured on USA streets, seem to have  excellent judgement on style.

My biggest argument with my daughters was over the idea they should dress to make themselves look good, not necessarily to simply follow fashion.

Class transcends fashion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

The question in my mind is not the cost but are the people in charge doing the right things?

No.  I don't think so.  I think some are trying to get passed help for the people and others are trying to add their pork barrel projects to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

The question in my mind is not the cost but are the people in charge doing the right things?

That's always the right question.

This about the training and specific skills politicians bring to the table.  They have none.

Their goal is to appear in charge, and they just do what the other idiots do.  But being politicians and subject to elections, they try to over do what the other fools do so they think they look better than the other guy.

I like the approach of a health industry person who said that this should be handled just like a surgical military strike.  Stop attacking all the population and the economy, and focus on those who appear to be the most vulnerable.  Utilize your resources with precision against the threat, and not with total abandon as they are doing now.

The medical people that do understand the situation, and it's a minutia, should be advising and listened to, rather than those who are in politics and have an entirely different goal in mind than efficiently dealing with this debacle!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If not at the federal level then most certainly at the local and state level.  Already some mayors had declared a state

7 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Trump wouldn’t do that

he ‘conservative’

Asking a lot of anybody to resist the whole of the government from wanting to take control.  Even if he didn't, Congress could vote it into law without him!

For most politicians this is too tempting to pass up.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Interesting discussion. https://reason.com/2020/03/18/will-aggressive-covid-19-control-measures-cost-more-than-they-are-worth/

Still, "if it saves one life..."

More at link.

Following that “if it saves one life” concept, why is Pelosi so eager to sneak millions if not billions for Planned Parenthood into these bills?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Historian said:

Right....and that...angers me.  

It takes a lot to anger me.

Where is the UN?  The WHO?

Oh, right, just like the phone company.

They'll eat their lobster, and steak, and pretend to lead the world.

Where's my pitch fork?  Hold my torch.

UN out of the US.  US out of the UN.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

• Thanks 1