Tables Turned

Maser

I always am honest when I talk with them.  They know, they watched you.

One bright clear Summer morning I was between towns on a divided highway cruising to my work place.  I was driving a 66 Mustang convertible I rebuilt, but wasn't finished with.

I came to a large gradual curve and slowed down for it.  Right then the cop behind me flipped on the lights and siren.  I pulled over and (of course) he said, "do you know how fast you were going?".  I answered, "Absolutely, 65 MPH!".  He said the speed limit was 55 MPH.

I said I didn't see the sign for the speed limit change, so It was my fault.  He said, "the speed limit doesn't change on this road. Its 55 for it's length."

I said, "Huh!  I have been doing 65 MPH ever since I pulled onto the highway at the last major town.".  He shook his head and said, "since you weren't driving dangerously and there were no other cars around, I wouldn't have pulled you over.  But when you saw me behind you, you hit the brakes to slow down, then I pulled you over".

I was indignant and loudly stated that, I didn't slow down for you!  I slowed down because this curve wasn't safe for me at 65!".  And besides, I can't see a damn thing out that back plastic window, it's crap!.  There was no way I could see you".

He checked my license for tickets and came back shaking his head.  He looked at me and said, "Well I won't give you a ticket, but DO SLOW DOWN!"  I thanked him.

Right then he got a call on the radio and he ran back to his car, suddenly the lights and siren flipped on and he roared away.  Some miles down the road I came to a major intersection and saw the carnage from a really bad T bone.  As I went by the officer directing traffic through the accident wagged his finger at me.  It was the same guy that stopped me just a few minutes ago.

I wonder all the time, if he hadn't stopped me, would that have been me at the wreckage in the intersection. Life is funny (odd) at times.

I always fess up honestly with the officer.  They have never stopped me under false premises so I have to deal with them honestly too.

I admitted everything one time and walked away with a warning.  For doing 93 MPH through a major highway intersection, in town, racing with another car and both of us drifting through the cloverleaf into town.  I am living proof that being honest helps more than it hurts!

• Like 2

thank goodness for cam's   and smart phones .  

on i 40 in wake county  people will be drving like 80 , or you get run over . ive had several leo pass me i know going 90 to 100  with no emergency , happens 

in wake county    many many times daily .  but if called on it they say i had emergency lol .  

• Like 1

Back in the 50's I was under the age to drive, but my father had me drive him all the time anyway.  One trip to Chicago I was on the Calumet Expressway doing damn near 70 bumper to bumper and white knuckled, when a local cop pulled up alongside me and motioned me to go faster!  IIRC, the speed limit was 60 but at about 70, I still wasn't going fast enough for him.

I was 12 or 13 and we didn't have this kind of rush hour traffic where I came from.  But, all ended well, and I got to go to Allied Radio company's order room.  We sat in theater type seating while waiting for our orders to be filled.  It was the highlight of our trip for me.

• Like 1

Years ago I got pulled over for speeding in Wisconsin. I didn't know it but my DL had expired 5 days earlier. He told me I shouldn't be driving on an expired DL. I convinced the trooper that Minnesota has a 10 grace period to renew your DL. He bought it and let me off with a warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one and only speeding ticket I ever received was for going 135 MPH down highway 270 in St. Louis county.

It was about 02:00, warm summer night, clear, very little traffic and I had just gotten a 1972 911T and as I was returning to my parents house from a friend's, I had to test it out, right?

As I cruised along, I noticed a country police officer on an overpass and said, Oh, crap and began to gear down and eventually pull over.

It took him about five minutes to show up.  He skidded to a stop, jumped out of his car, ran up and yelled, Do you know how fast you were going?

I said, Yes, I do.

He calmed down, I got out of the car, we lit up cigarettes, he asked a lot of questions about the Porsche and he finally admitted he appreciated me stopping because there was no way he would have ever caught me and he couldn't just let me go, so he wrote me a ticket for 80 MPH (the limit was 70 back then.)

He could have hauled my ass to jail and charged me with enough violations to suspend my license; all of which I deserved.

Thanks, again, unkoown officer.

NB after that, I kept my high speed on the race tracks.

• Thanks 1