Why Does TBS Hate The Blues?

Eric

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

this is a fantastic movie for the music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an eclectic engineer, after all.

I have always been open to new musical experiences, but that movie started me on a journey to seek out new music. I’d never been exposed to bluegrass and other depression-era music. I thoroughly loved what I heard in the movie and it made me curious about what else I’ve been missing. The internet and the easy access to all types of music has allowed me to seek out and fund a dizzying selection of new music to enjoy.

My iTunes account contains music from a huge range of eras and cultures. I only wish I had started seeking out and enjoying new music at a younger age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

I have always been open to new musical experiences, but that movie started me on a journey to seek out new music. I’d never been exposed to bluegrass and other depression-era music. I thoroughly loved what I heard in the movie and it made me curious about what else I’ve been missing. The internet and the easy access to all types of music has allowed me to seek out and fund a dizzying selection of new music to enjoy.

My iTunes account contains music from a huge range of eras and cultures. I only wish I had started seeking out and enjoying new music at a younger age. 

There is so much good stuff out there, but, I find my appreciation is limited to what I can hear and understand, with my hearing so shot.  Many good songs and artists are blended into loud music and I can't separate out the sounds, so it all comes to me as a clamor.

You'll notice that my appreciation of musical posts primarily, are those with clear vocals and minimal loudness to the instruments.

Oh well.  When music like in the movie "Oh Brother where art thou" shows me Blue grass that I can appreciate it's a real treat, while the Siren song is to me one of the best produced music videos I have ever heard.

• Administrators
Just now, Maser said:

Never cared for blues or jazz. 

That’s a shame. It is such a big part of America’s cultural heritage and it has been such an enormous influence on every type of modern music. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

There is so much good stuff out there, but, I find my appreciation is limited to what I can hear and understand, with my hearing so shot.  Many good songs and artists are blended into loud music and I can't separate out the sounds, so it all comes to me as a clamor.

You'll notice that my appreciation of musical posts primarily, are those with clear vocals and minimal loudness to the instruments.

Oh well.  When music like in the movie "Oh Brother where art thou" shows me Blue grass that I can appreciate it's a real treat, while the Siren song is to me one of the best produced music videos I have ever heard.

There really wasn’t a bad song in that soundtrack. One of my favorites is Big Rock Candy Mountain. It is sad as wistful, but hopeful at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s a shame. It is such a big part of America’s cultural heritage and it has been such an enormous influence on every type of modern music. 
People would be surprised to learn how many of the successful hard rock bands they listen to have been heavily influenced by jazz. I read a lot, over half of my favorite groups have given a tip to jazz in interviews over the years.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2

I love Blues, Gospel, and Jazz. My dad was a trumpet player and played with a big band orchestra in the 50's and I sang with a black gospel choir for 5 years. I loved Howlin wolf, muddy waters, BB king, Albert King Freddy King, john lee Hooker, Champion Jack Dupree and many others and I liked when younger British and American got together with older bluesmen like on Howlin' Wolf the London sessions, Hooker and Heat, and Fleetwood Mac in Chicago. Not many peo0ple have heard of Champion Jack Dupree but he is one of my personal favorites.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I love Blues, Gospel, and Jazz. My dad was a trumpet player and played with a big band orchestra in the 50's and I sang with a black gospel choir for 5 years. I loved Howlin wolf, muddy waters, BB king, Albert King Freddy King, john lee Hooker, Champion Jack Dupree and many others and I liked when younger British and American got together with older bluesmen like on Howlin' Wolf the London sessions, Hooker and Heat, and Fleetwood Mac in Chicago. Not many peo0ple have heard of Champion Jack Dupree but he is one of my personal favorites.

He is great. I love that song. 

• Administrators

I almost forget about this guy. Looking at his pic reminds me of an old Concrete Blonde lyric, “señor, you are wise. I can see a million years, a million tears behind your eyes...”

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, DrB said:

That was an outstanding performance. I wish I could have seen some of the blues legends like BB King in person. I was born too late though. The Internet can be a blessing and a curse, but it is definitely a blessing when it comes to preserving and sharing content like this for posterity. 

my nephew has widely varied music tastes like me. In some ways, even wider. He grew up with the Internet at his fingertips which allows him access to a variety of culture and music that was unheard of, when I was a kid. It warms my heart to see him exploring that bounty and embracing what he finds. He is quite a young man. 

• Like 2