The Gunny was in Apocalypse Now

Fnfalman

11 hours ago, Maser said:

Obviously his most iconic role was Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, but I also loved him as the psycho sheriff in the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  He played the perfect psychopath! 

I saw a show about the filming of FMJ.  I think it was the director who said that 'Lee was such a nice man off the set', but when they started filming he came up with the most profane things.   It's funny stuff.  For me, FMJ ends when Hartman gets kilt.  I never watch it passed that.

The actor originally picked to play Hartman in FMJ played a helicopter pilot after Ermey took the role.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 2

A long time ago I met the Gunny at an event.  The Shot Show.   Anyway.   He was as nice a man as you could imagine.

Until i told him this wasn't over until he made me do 20.

He went full DI on my arse until i chuged them out....

It was an honor.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 4

rleeermey.jpg.f542f772418892c038af33294d8ff536.jpg

Gunny in Apocalypse Now.

He was originally hired to be the technical advisor for the actor who was to play the drill instructor in FMJ based on his prior experience as a DI, but he did such a good job at it that Ermey himself was hired for the part after Kubrick saw his work with the actor.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PPQer said:

I saw a show about the filming of FMJ.  I think it was the director who said that 'Lee was such a nice man off the set', but when they started filming he came up with the most profane things.   It's funny stuff.  For me, FMJ ends when Hartman gets kilt.  I never watch it passed that.

The actor originally picked to play Hartman in FMJ played a helicopter pilot after Ermey took the role.

Yeah, all throughout the boot camp scenes Ermey pretty much went off the script.  My grandpa saw that movie in the theater when it was new and he also saw Blazing Saddles when it was new.  He said the uproar of laughter during the opening scene was right on par to the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles. 

And you're right.  Most people including myself don't watch the movie past the part when Hartman and Pyle die.  I think the movie would have been way better if the whole movie was about USMC boot camp.   

• Thanks 1

I'm not real big on the whole full auto scene.  I'm not against it nor do I believe it should be banned, it's just when you shoot full autos at a young age like I did, you grow outta their luster very fast.   However there's 2 full autos I will never get tired of hearing.  A Thompson M1 which was my very first auto I shot when I was 7 and the AK47. 

9 hours ago, Maser said:

I'm not real big on the whole full auto scene.  I'm not against it nor do I believe it should be banned, it's just when you shoot full autos at a young age like I did, you grow outta their luster very fast.   However there's 2 full autos I will never get tired of hearing.  A Thompson M1 which was my very first auto I shot when I was 7 and the AK47. 

Same here. I was a bit older than you when my father brought home an MP 40 and let us shoot it in the back yard. Later on the gun club I belonged to in Ohio had machine gun shoots twice a year. I was one of the RO's and the guys that brought the guns let the RO's have a go at them.  Most of them  were like " Here, shoot this ". They just appreciated us for giving them a place to shoot.

I've shot almost everything from an American 180 ( the most fun ) to a Russian anti-tank gun ( the least fun ). With a Dillon mini-gun thrown in for good measure.

Here is a couple examples of fun.

:supergrin:

• Like 1