Looks like Iran didn't follow the first rule of weapons......

SC Tiger

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

You can run, but you can't hide a missile heat bloom from the satellites.

Three of those heat blooms at once caused me to insert launch keys in preparation for a launch one night.

<========

Discipline in the US Military is amazing.  In may other countries it's almost non-existent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So the question is, will the ayatollah say "we done fcked up" and they'll behave for a while?

And how does that work? does Iran pay for a new 737-800 and reparations to the families? Good thing they got a pallet of cash lying around. Does the Ukraine send a couple missiles into Iran in retaliation?

We live in interesting times...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, tadbart said:

So the question is, will the ayatollah say "we done fcked up" and they'll behave for a while?

And how does that work? does Iran pay for a new 737-800 and reparations to the families? Good thing they got a pallet of cash lying around. Does the Ukraine send a couple missiles into Iran in retaliation?

The US Supreme Court finally ruled for the families of Pan Am 103 that they could sue Iran and get reparations from the stack of cash that we had impounded from them.

Unfortunately for them, by then, Obama had given them that pallet of cash back and they had no assets in the US to go after.

Bummer

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, willie-pete said:

The US Supreme Court finally ruled for the families of Pan Am 103 that they could sue Iran and get reparations from the stack of cash that we had impounded from them.

Unfortunately for them, by then, Obama had given them that pallet of cash back and they had no assets in the US to go after.

Bummer

Extraordinary timing.

2 hours ago, tadbart said:

That's immoral and HAS to be criminal. How is he walking around with USSS protection, and not in a jail somewhere?

You mean Obama or all our Democrat politicians  and most Repub pols too!

Politics is a breeding grounds for the worst of our criminals.  Those who swore to hold to Constitutional values, yet see money and power as their only goal!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tadbart said:

I was speaking specifically about Obama, but you're right- as a group, they're the worst of our worst.

You just wait. We'll get him, his husband and their foster kids, too. We have global warming coming. His property could be under water or complete ocean front soon. That'll show him!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tadbart said:

Much of this makes no sense from a tactical perspective.

If Iran had an air defense system around a commercial airport, why did they think that that would be a target for a US strike?

Did they imagine that blowing up a few Airbus aircraft was higher in priority than military barracks, air defense sites or weapon manufacturing sites?

Perhaps there was some thing of military value hidden at the commercial airport, but why would an opposing force engage an airliner climbing out rather than make the good stuff smoking holes in the ground?

I reiterate a previous opinion that a huge RADAR return going a blistering 200 knots, flying a straight, level heading away from an airport, is probably not a cruise missile.

Or a moccasin.

I know we josh a lot, but 176, likely completely innocent souls have been lost.

Condolences to their families.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tous said:

If Iran had an air defense system around a commercial airport, why did they think that that would be a target for a US strike?

Did they imagine that blowing up a few Airbus aircraft was higher in priority than military barracks, air defense sites or weapon manufacturing sites?

Perhaps there was some thing of military value hidden at the commercial airport, but why would an opposing force engage an airliner climbing out rather than make the good stuff smoking holes in the ground?

I reiterate a previous opinion that a huge RADAR return going a blistering 200 knots, flying a straight, level heading away from an airport, is probably not a cruise missile.

Or a moccasin.

I really have to wonder what an innocent person is doing on a plane flying out of Iran.  Even if they are innocent, they are probably not wise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tous said:

Or a moccasin.

These two statements are a testament to a lack of training, a lack of regard for human life, and everything I'd expect from the Iranian military. There's a picture floating around on the internet of what sure looks like the nose of a Tor antiaircraft missile near the crash site, and a short video of what could be a rocket hitting a jet, from the perspective of a cop's body cam.

Sure looks like Iran shot that plane down, either due to fear or error, and then tried to buy time by not allowing access to the FDRs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tous said:

Or a moccasin.

I think they watched Hannity and thought the B-52’s from Diego Garcia were inbound

but you're right, 176 people died who shouldn’t have.

until the conspiracy that the plane was empty and we shot it down to blame Iran. Or they were onboard but already dead so they could recover bodies. Soleimani ring was on the wrong finger.....

?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I really have to wonder what an innocent person is doing on a plane flying out of Iran.  Even if they are innocent, they are probably not wise.

Just because we are in conflict with Iran doesn't mean that the rest of the world is.

Though not my first choice for a tourist destination, others may have legitimate reasons to be there.

• Like 2

I think it was a simple case of a bunch of SAM operators amped up waiting for a supposed raid by American planes 3 hours after the missile launches. The supposedly had a list of traffic and times leaving/arriving the airport, but this particular fight was running an hour late.

Expecting to see a swarm of F-35's roll in on them and a radar blip where there should not have been one gave the not unexpected outcome.

Stranger things have happened; Vincennes and MH 17 for instance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

I think it was a simple case of a bunch of SAM operators amped up waiting for a supposed raid by American planes 3 hours after the missile launches. The supposedly had a list of traffic and times leaving/arriving the airport, but this particular fight was running an hour late.

Expecting to see a swarm of F-35's roll in on them and a radar blip where there should not have been one gave the not unexpected outcome.

Stranger things have happened; Vincennes and MH 17 for instance.

For the Vincennes/MH17, the initial belief was that it was a military A/C, since they shared the airport.  Later the thought the military aircraft was taking off behind the commercial, and using it for radar cover.  Quick decisions needed due to short distances.

It could have been the same problem in both cases.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, janice6 said:

For the Vincennes/MH17, the initial belief was that it was a military A/C, since they shared the airport.  Later the thought the military aircraft was taking off behind the commercial, and using it for radar cover.  Quick decisions needed due to short distances.

It could have been the same problem in both cases.

Well, when someone thinks they are about to get smoked; sometimes they make the wrong decisions.

Happens in ever war I expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1