Stuka Dive Bombers? Any Still flying?

DrB

From my other posting my mind got to wondering, are there any still flying?

I had a Cox Stuka fly by line with the .049 engine.  Had a third line to release the bomb.  Unfortunately on the planes maiden flight, it drilled itself into the turf...  Still can remember the nitro and castor oil mix gas smell.  Those Cox planes were cool.....

ave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are two intact Ju-87 aircraft - one is at the RAF museum in metro London and the other is at a museum in Chicago. 

There are salvaged wrecks, but have not been or are undergoing restoration. There are replicas as well and only the replicas are in flying condition.

Of course, there are these infamous Stukas:

Dickies_-_Stukas_Over_Disneyland_album_cover.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had a Cox Stuka fly by line with the .049 engine.  Had a third line to release the bomb.  Unfortunately on the planes maiden flight, it drilled itself into the turf...  Still can remember the nitro and castor oil mix gas smell.  Those Cox planes were cool.....
ave..

I sunk one that way. A biplane in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tous said:

You should have started with the Cox PT-19.

Was that he trainer plane with the rubber bands that held it apart in case you crashed? My cousin had that one.  Learned to fly that one after my Stuka ground into the ground.

Dave..

• Like 1

Indeed it was.

That was the one I started with and then went to the balsa and tissue paper models.

I must have built dozens of them, mostly high wing monoplanes like a Cub or a Cessna, but more than a few bi-planes.

When I crashed those, it was either back to the bench for repair or write it off and move on to the next one.

I think I enjoyed building them as much as flying them.

I must have had 10 or 15 ,049 and .032 engines along with spare glow plugs and reed valves.

We had great childhoods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tous said:

I must have had 10 or 15 ,049 and .032 engines along with spare glow plugs and reed valves.

We had great childhoods.

I had a crap pile full of those engines also.  I remember winding the prop backwards on the spring and getting my fingers sliced when I was not quick enough when the engine fired.  Fiddling with the needle valve to get the engine screaming was a sound I will remember always.

Dave..

• Like 3

I had a Cox one in the late 70s that was a low-wing sport-type plane made from purple plastic.  I had great fun flying it until the day a wind gust got under it on the upwind part of the circle and lofted it up and towards me, slackening the lines.  I remember running like hell trying to get tension back in the lines, but it was too late and it went into the ground (paved parking lot) in a screaming power dive from about twenty feet in the air, pretty much exploding into plastic schrapnel on impact.  I was bummed, as I had been keeping it in pristine condition and had spent several hours very carefully polishing it the night before.

Shame there are so few examples of the JU-87 left.  I think it's a pretty cool looking plane that had the misfortune to be used by some truly evil people. 

-Pat

edit - found a pic online.image.thumb.jpeg.9a8ab0237775d35e37141d57e45916e1.jpeg

Edited by Cubdriver
Add image
  • Like 2

It blows my mind that there are so few examples of 1940s warplanes. Somebody shoulda known to stick a few of those things in a hangar under a tarp, like a barn find car. Watching videos of planes being pushed off carrier decks at the end of the war hurts.

That stuka. They put sirens on it to terrorize people below. The krauts were nasty fckers!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tadbart said:

That stuka. They put sirens on it to terrorize people below. The krauts were nasty fckers!

One of the relatives of The Red Barron commanded the steaks that bombed Stalingrad in to ruble making it a rat's nest for he Russians. 

He was hangged after the war.

I did that as well, but we didn't use models of real aircraft, they were more like flying wings.

You had to not only concentrate on munching the other guys ribbon, but ducking out of the way of his line as well.

Neato sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

I did that as well, but we didn't use models of real aircraft, they were more like flying wings.

You had to not only concentrate on munching the other guys ribbon, but ducking out of the way of his line as well.

Neato sport.

Yeah, we never got close to being this good. Our father owned a shop that sold model airplanes. We are probably the reason he got out of that business.

:whistling:

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 1

Yep, they do get tangled up and there are mid air collisions and collisions with the ground. It's over when you clip the ribbon on the other plane OR you run out of gas.

We three boys probably drove my father out of the toy airplane business by replacing our crashes.

As an aside, I have a newspaper clipping somewhere; I'll try to dig it up. One night my father and I were out somewhere and he went by his shop to get me another airplane. Turns out someone was inside robbing the place. All of a sudden I see a gun in his hand ( where it came from I do not know ) and he grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and dragged me behind him. We heard a commotion at the back of the store as someone was beating feet out the way they came in.

He called the cops; turns out someone forced the back door. His shop was in downtown Cocoa. The area is now condos on the riverfront two blocks off of Highway 520.

10 hours ago, tadbart said:

that video is MUCH better with the speakers off! I have questions. Midair collisions? Why don't they get tangled up? Do they just run until they run out of gas?

I'll be hearing that noise for the rest of the night.

Given about equal power and flight characteristics, altitude was all, because you had to catch up to the aircraft in front to clip his ribbon and the higher you were, the smaller the circle you had to fly.

Of course, the other guy was trying to do the same thing.

Mid airs and hitting the ground was common.

You didn't bring just the one plane to a match; you brought several.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I would have loved to play the same game with RC aircraft, but in my day, RC just wasn't feasible yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

I would have loved to play the same game with RC aircraft, but in my day, RC just wasn't feasible yet.

RC was around in my day, but the cost was above our means. The only other thing we did was free flight. Set one flying and it had a lighted fuse on the tail with a rubber band on it that would pop up the tail so it would not fly too far. There was a giant sod farm down the street where we flew them so they didn't fly over trees.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, willie-pete said:

My brothers and I flew combat control line. A streamer on each airplane and try to cut the streamer with the prop.

I went to a model flying show where they did that.  I got hooked on the smell of nitro and caster oil after that..  I had many Cox planes, most I crashed at one time or another.

Dave..

• Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 8:56 PM, tadbart said:

It blows my mind that there are so few examples of 1940s warplanes. Somebody shoulda known to stick a few of those things in a hangar under a tarp, like a barn find car. Watching videos of planes being pushed off carrier decks at the end of the war hurts.

Wow....I didn't know that.  I thought the sound was generated "naturally".  That's really interesting.  

On 12/22/2019 at 4:17 PM, DrB said:

ave..

That's neat.  I had the P51 Cox.  I don't think I ever got it started.  ?

1 hour ago, Green Dragoon said:

That's neat.  I had the P51 Cox.  I don't think I ever got it started.  ?

I had a P51 also.  That one was a bitch to start also.  Must have been a bad lot of engines.  I swapped out the engine from one of my crash and burn planes.

Dave

• Like 1