If You Have Retired Question

DrB

I'm going to turn 68 this year..  Thinking about time to retire but........  Something in me knows nothing more than getting up and working.  Is this something you can adapt to??  All my life I have gotten up and gone to work. 

Dave..

• Thanks 1

Like someone said, it's all in your head.  You can still get up early if you like, only you don't have to shave, get dressed and out the door.  If it snowing or raining no problem, just look out the window and pour another cup of coffee and plan your excitement for the day. 

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I retired in exactly 7 years ago after a career of 38 years. I woke up the first morning smiling and then laughing. I haven't missed work one little bit. Now I wake up at 5:45 because I"m excited. When I worked I nearly always waited for the alarm to wake me up at 6 before I'd drag myself out of bed. And I had an interesting job with quite a bit of freedom to schedule my work and get it done.

We got to Ocracoke Island yesterday for another week of doing whatever - fishing, shopping, eating. It's a small village with good art, music and food. Most of the island is owned by the park service. You can drive on quite a bit of the beach if you buy a permit and have true 4wd. In the village most folks get around by walking, biking or golf cart.

d17af5ce83c807bfd190f4dacebc6444f88a9cc7

To the upper right is the Atlantic, the bottom is Ocracoke Inlet (where Blackbeard was cornered and killed), and Pamlico sound is to the left.

I know where I'll be on Monday morning.  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am in the same boat. I will be retiring in 11 to 14 months. I have a great job, but looking into other things. And I’m young. 49. And it’s a job I can’t go back to. Bit that u want to, but can’t. Been doing some planning, but it’s still weird to think that I won’t be working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm semi-retired.

Basically what that means is that some day, chances are,  I'll be found in my chair in the office, mouth slightly open, tongue sticking out...and with a smile on my face. Time to be microwaved and my wife pouring the remains through the waste disposal unit of which I already told her that it will invalidate the warranty.

"What happened, Ma'am?"

"I poured my husband's ashes."

"Did you press the reset button?"

Edited by Ricordo
  • Haha 2

DrB,  I just turned age 60 and am planning to retire at the end of the year.  With Vacation remaining to take, only have 97 days left in Nigeria to work, as every day here is a work day.

First day of retirement will be 1-Jan-20.  Will have been almost 42 year of the oilpatch.  All I've done is work. So I understand your feelings.  We are planning on taking some Road Trips in the USA and taking our time to figure out what we'll do.  

For ms gamboolgal and I - we have enough money saved up.  At least that is our plan / intent.  I want to spend what time I have left on this mortal earth enjoying each moment with ms gamboolgal and chasing her around the old 4 poster bed back in Texas buck neckid...

Hopefully one day grandkids.....   if our kids ever figure out how all that works.....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go.....

gamboolman

loGOba3m.png

Edited by gamboolman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm 71 and retired 16 years ago, have never regretted it for a millisecond.  I worked hard and saved so I wouldn't have to be old and poor at the same time since either one sucks enough by itself.  The first summer (I bailed mid June 2003) I felt like I always had to be busy doing something, was used to crowding home chores and a little playtime into a long workweek.  I got more done at home the first summer retired than I had in the previous ten years because I couldn't let anything go.  I learned, little by little, how to slow down and let what needed to be done take a little longer or maybe get put off and to take more time to relax and do the things I enjoyed.

I'm not one to watch TV or lounge around.  I get more exercise than I ever did while working, spend more time with my dogs and get better rest (no business worries and stress).

I do know people who retired and were bored to tears, looked for part time work or watched soaps and bitched about winter.  I'm active year 'round and will maintain that as long as I'm physically able.  To me, the key to retirement is to remain stimulated by some aspect(s) of your life and learn how to _relax_.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One last piece of advice.  I loved doing what I wanted and learning how to do many things.  I accomplished much for me in my retirement.

Then suddenly my knees went South and I'm still in the North.  I have been getting all the treatments to delay surgery.  They're speculating that waiting long enough, I may die first.

My point is, when you retire don't mope around and think bout all you may feel you are missing.  Get your ambition in gear and do stuff.  It doesn't really matter what you do, just that you have a feeling of accomplishment when your head hits the pillow.  

For someday you may be in my boat and all the plans of mice and men are subservient to an unpredictable affliction the hinders the things you still have left to do.

Work hard at enjoying your family and your new life.  Enjoy your family most of all, you may find that there are some pretty nice people in that group.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, janice6 said:

One last piece of advice.  I loved doing what I wanted and learning how to do many things.  I accomplished much for me in my retirement.

Then suddenly my knees went South and I'm still in the North.  I have been getting all the treatments to delay surgery.  They're speculating that waiting long enough, I may die first.

My point is, when you retire don't mope around and think bout all you may feel you are missing.  Get your ambition in gear and do stuff.  It doesn't really matter what you do, just that you have a feeling of accomplishment when your head hits the pillow.  

For someday you may be in my boat and all the plans of mice and men are subservient to an unpredictable affliction the hinders the things you still have left to do.

Work hard at enjoying your family and you new life.  Enjoy your family most of all, you may find that there are some pretty nice people in that group.

I have no family, except for my mom.  All my friends have passed through the years.   Guess that is what keeps me working.

Dave..

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, DrB said:

I have no family, except for my mom.  All my friends have passed through the years.   Guess that is what keeps me working.

Dave..

I understand, but there is no limit on making new friends and meeting people that have similar likes.  But it's like hunting, you have to go out and find them.

My children are the only family left to me and my wife.  All of our friends our age have already passed.  I had kids when I was in my 20's, so they are still around but now considering retirement for themselves.

I am comfortable being left to my self, some are not.  That's OK.   But if you are not, get out and mix with people of all ages. When I was younger, I took my son with me to Hamfests and he found that even he could mingle with much older folks and find stimulating conversation. 

More than once I had to track him down and rescue the older hams from him, they said that they enjoyed his company and he could hold his own in the conversation.

My point is that many times friendships are found in the most unusual places with the most unusual people.  But, often you have to find them.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

Yesterday I had a revelation. I was looking through a catalogue of guided vacations and the first thing I did (as I always do) was to look when they were scheduled for, and for how many days, wondering if the dates and duration would interfere with my work schedule...  That's when I realized "who cares!"  

That was a feeling of liberation!  

Edited by PATCHMAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pipedreams said:

So true, got to get out meet people.  Often it just takes a smile or hello.

I have found people I can talk to just because I wanted to greet their animals.  It doesn't  take much to find common ground.

• Like 2

Just now, PATCHMAN said:

Yesterday I had a revelation. I was looking through a catalogue of guided vacations and the first thing I did (as I always do) was to look when they were scheduled for, and for how many days, wondering if the dates and duration would interfere with my work schedule...  That's when I realized "who cares!"  

Precisely!

• Like 1

On the new friends issue, when I retired I got back into skiing, hadn't done it for many years (no time, always working).  Skiing on weekdays I met a whole bunch of guys who were also retired, virtually all of them older than me but made a number of good friends.  Now I'm one of the old guys and my newest skiing friends are all younger than I am.  The older guys I started with have hung it up due to old age and a few of them have died.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1