Called in 2 fires last night

Our Swan Lake fire is winding down. 103,000 acres but mostly contained now, although much of the containment is due to vegetation, swamps, and mountains. The southern boundary is the Sterling Hwy. Our local fire department that services a huge portion of the Kenai Peninsula has a complete burn ban on. Things are dryer than I have ever seen here since moving to this area in 1982. The State has lifted their burn ban so the tourorists can have a hot dog fire in the campgrounds, but our service area trumps them. Well last night I cruise out to the local campground and find tourists from Germany in a picnic area all by themselves, not another soul around, with a bonfire going so they can cook. I doubt they would have any cell phone coverage. Then I drive through the campground and the campers there have fires burning. I tell folks there is a burn ban on, and they tell me the campground host said fires are o.k. I have our FD on my phone contact list, so give them a call. They sent a truck out and flooded the fires and chewed ass on the campground host. Today I made a bunch of calls to the State. I'm not willing to let some clown from out of state, or out of the country burn me out so they can roast a ******* hot dog. If we got another fire going while still dealing with the Swan Lake mess, the response would be pitiful.

• Like 4

It always pisses me off when people think that the burn bans don't apply to them.  Special snowflake attitudes.

I do feel a little sorry for the tourists, as they received bad information, but the campground host is definitely at fault for not verifying information before passing it on.

• Like 3

Our birch trees are starting to look like they would in the fall. Turning yellow and loosing leaves.  It's usually the spruce forests that we worry about the most, but not this year. I drove out through an area that is normally mud bog swamps yesterday, and they are completely dried out. No water in the 2 creeks I drove over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Attaboy. We had some huge fires back in the 90s here in Central FL. I think it even delayed the Daytona 500. I'd still see idiots flicking cigarette butts out of their cars. Fire doesn't discriminate. Good job- you mighta saved hundreds of acres, homes, lives.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tadbart said:

Attaboy. We had some huge fires back in the 90s here in Central FL. I think it even delayed the Daytona 500. I'd still see idiots flicking cigarette butts out of their cars. Fire doesn't discriminate. Good job- you mighta saved hundreds of acres, homes, lives.

Yeah, the property I bought for my house had burned trees on it from those fires and the original “ road “ they used to build the house was an old firebreak that they cut back then.

I told the builder to cut down every tree that could fall on my house in 20 years.

• Like 1

Good call, Bill. Building fire-smart is a great idea. But still, so many people think it's a great idea to be nestled in the trees, with shrubs under their eaves. Well, when those shrubs light, that fire is gonna go right in the soffit and into your attic. Next house out west will have a few feet of gravel all the way around the house.

20 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Good call, Bill. Building fire-smart is a great idea. But still, so many people think it's a great idea to be nestled in the trees, with shrubs under their eaves. Well, when those shrubs light, that fire is gonna go right in the soffit and into your attic. Next house out west will have a few feet of gravel all the way around the house.

No soffits either. :crylikeender:

I was a fire fighter for 20 odd years.

Edited by willie-pete