Massive Forest Restoration Could Greatly Slow Global Warming

minervadoe

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/massive-forest-restoration-could-greatly-slow-global-warming/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The right trees, planted in the right locations, could store 205 gigatons of carbon dioxide

We have heard for years that planting trees can help save the world from global warming. That mantra was mostly a statement of faith, however. Now the data finally exist to show that if the right species of trees are planted in the right soil types across the planet, the emerging forests could capture 205 gigatons of carbon dioxide in the next 40 to 100 years. That's two thirds of all the CO2 humans have generated since the industrial revolution.

... and think of all that marketable timber which need to be harvested to prevent forest fires:

50581-hi-smokey_busshelter060811-2.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

But what about all the money from Carbon credits that a few people will lose out on……………  I would much prefer the trees.

Don't get me started about my neighbor with a Prius and their, "Carbon Tax Me" bumper sticker.  My Corolla LE Eco will pollute less over its life time than their Prius!  But, I've got no problem with men planting, managing and harvesting more forests.  During the Earth's warm periods, there have been forests in parts of the world that are frozen now.  It is a cycle that we need to understand and step up to by planning how to use the Earth's resources.  I can think of a pretty good spokesperson. 

lorax-main.jpg

Edited by minervadoe
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, minervadoe said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/massive-forest-restoration-could-greatly-slow-global-warming/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The right trees, planted in the right locations, could store 205 gigatons of carbon dioxide

... and think of all that marketable timber which need to be harvested to prevent forest fires:

50581-hi-smokey_busshelter060811-2.jpg

and these days 10 out of 10 forest fires are made much worse due to human interference with the ecosystem, decades of fire suppression, and just plain stupidity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is they used to tell us to plant trees and the rain to support them would follow because it rains where there are trees.

That didn't work, millions of trees were planted and they all died.

Now the accepted wisdom is that trees grow where it rains instead of the other way around.

• Thanks 1

All in favor planting a few trees.  To be frank...i miss seeing more of them.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

(Joyce Kilmer)

• Thanks 1

A recent paper I read said that the temperature increases we are experiencing are unique to a 2,000 year period.  Therefore they are indicative of Global Warming.

The fact that the Earth is still warming from a periodic Ice Age occurring  significantly more than 2,000 years ago, and having a periodicity far greater than  the 2,000 years period used to support the GW theory, means that the arguments for GW are disingenuous and misleading and the paper above reaffirms this.

The Earth has experienced significant cooling and warming for many millennia in the past and this is being ignored to support the idea that man is now responsible for this warming.

This is simply hogwash.  Every ice age has produced a warming that resulted in jungle plants even in Canada permafrost indicating it was once (at least) much warmer than now.

Another significant indication of climate change independent of man is the Sahara Desert.  It was once lush and had a wide variety of critters needing high moisture conditions to survive. https://www.livescience.com/4180-sahara-desert-lush-populated.html

This change has occurred independent of man, just as most geological changes have.

In fact, the Island of Manhattan is still rebounding upwards as a result of the loss of over a mile high glacier that depressed the Earth's crust in that location.  It has not yet recovered to the pre-glacier position.

There are indications that the rebound of the Island is similar to the rise in the oceans due to ice melting.  didn't someone refer to GW as an inconvenient truth.  It seems that it applies more to the claim of GW, than to it's disclaimers.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8)".

• Like 1