Ford v Ferrari

Eric

• Administrators

Wow, no reactions? This is the story of the genesis of the Ford GT-40 and its reign of terror over European racetracks. Even if the plot and the acting sucks, there will be a shitload of cool cars and loud exhaust. Who is going to say no to that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, tous said:

No Porsches.

But, the late 1960s - 1970s was my favorite GT period.

I won'r see the movie.

I don't want some Hollywood snowball to ruin my memory of Carroll Shelby.

Yeah, having a d-bag like Matt Damon playing Shelby tempers my enthusiasm a bit, but cool cars and loud exhaust! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, no reactions? This is the story of the genesis of the Ford GT-40 and its reign of terror over European racetracks. Even if the plot and the acting sucks, there will be a shitload of cool cars and loud exhaust. Who is going to say no to that?

How close is that Ford engine to the one which chased the Offy out of the Brickyard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators
Just now, railfancwb said:

How close is that Ford engine to the one which chased the Offy out of the Brickyard?

I don’t know. I was never interested much in Indy/CART until the Penske/Mercedes dynasty, in the 1990s. I love a good ass-kicking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

The Ford Indy engines were 289 based with Frankenstein overhead cam 4 valve heads. The GT40s (Mark II) that were winning were good ol' Carrol Shelby philosophy: Cubic Inches--they ran 427 side oiler wedge head engines. Well designed for NASCAR, they had 4 bolt mains (cross bolted) and held together well at sustained high RPM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tous said:

No Porsches.

But, the late 1960s - 1970s was my favorite GT period.

I won'r see the movie.

I don't want some Hollywood snowball to ruin my memory of Carroll Shelby.

One thing that improves my appreciation of movies is my ability to maintain a healthy suspension of disbelief regarding the actors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched an episode of “Grand Tour” (same as “Top Gear” with a different name) about how obsessed Ford became about beating Ferrari at their own game.  It cost them millions, and took years of losses until the wins finally came.  Ford’s determination dealt one helluva blow to them, and if I remember right, it really riled board members and shareholders.

This story should be fascinating, and I look forward to seeing it.

Discussions of this movie have generated an interest in all things Shelby for my.

I've become quite obsessed with the various versions of new Cobra 427s. They've got to be the most amazing driving experience out there right now;