Deadwood Movie

KWalrad

13 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I don't have HBO. Could you record it for me?

Done and done. You want to have a sleepover? I'll ask my mom if it's okay.

I haven't made it all of the way through it yet, but my initial thoughts are that it's cool to see the characters once again. Some of them are looking really old. Timothy Oliphant still looks like he needs someone to buy him a burger. Dang that dude is scrawny.

• Haha 3

• Administrators
21 hours ago, JimBianchi said:

I completely disagree with you Eric!

I loved it and found it a fitting tribute to the show and characters!

Spoilers:

Spoiler

To each his own. I thought it just plodded through, without ever reaching a climax and it felt disjointed to me. Like I said, it was good seeing the characters again, but that is all the movie did for me. Notice too how they managed to bring the Calamity Jane lesbian angle to the forefront? Thank you HBO. Do they really have to work that **** into every show they do?

I would have thought better of the movie if it had delivered any plot twists worthy of the original series. Personally, I think it would have been great if Swearengen, knowing he is dying anyway, had managed to park a bullet in Hearst. Or more fittingly, a knife. One last noble deed in a largely ignoble life. I know he was sick, but he could have had one last burst of energy and done everyone a favor.

Anyway, I hoped for better. I still enjoyed watching it well enough though. It was like a visit with old friends. Those can be enjoyable, even when they are a little boring. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Spoilers:

Hide contents

To each his own. I thought it just plodded through, without ever reaching a climax and it felt disjointed to me. Like I said, it was good seeing the characters again, but that is all the movie did for me. Notice too how they managed to bring the Calamity Jane lesbian angle to the forefront? Thank you HBO. Do they really have to work that **** into every show they do?

I would have thought better of the movie if it had delivered any plot twists worthy of the original series. Personally, I think it would have been great if Swearengen, knowing he is dying anyway, had managed to park a bullet in Hearst. Or more fittingly, a knife. One last noble deed in a largely ignoble life. I know he was sick, but he could have had one last burst of energy and done everyone a favor.

Anyway, I hoped for better. I still enjoyed watching it well enough though. It was like a visit with old friends. Those can be enjoyable, even when they are a little boring. 

Since most of the characters were historical figures I guess the producers felt some obligation not to randomly kill nor promote them.  I must say, though, that I was hoping/expecting Swearengen to do as you proposed.  I also agree with you that the highlighting of the lesbian angle was typically (lately) over the top.  Enough, already.

I just discovered that Hearst was the father of William Randolph Hearst.  Who knew?!?  haha

• Like 3

After finally making it all of the way through, I have to say that Eric pretty much hit the nail on the head in his spoilers.

Color me disappointed. Almost like they were leaving themselves open to yet another episode in order to put a final bow on everything.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, NPTim said:

I enjoyed it, but left a little unfulfilled. I was hoping Al would whack Hearst. Of course I knew this would fly in the face of history, but I was still hoping.

Maybe they should have gotten Quentin Tarantino to do the movie.:anim_lol:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, NPTim said:

I enjoyed it, but left a little unfulfilled. I was hoping Al would whack Hearst. Of course I knew this would fly in the face of history, but I was still hoping.

Seriously, Tarantino would wave his private parts in the general direction of historical accuracy and then given us an utterly barbaric, thoroughly satisfying ending.

I remember the first time I watched Inglorious Basterds. Near the end, I kept waiting for the American plot to fall apart and then as they opened up on Hitler, I smacked myself in the forehead and reminded myself that it was a Tarantino movie. Then I sat back and enjoyed the carnage. I also thoroughly enjoyed David Bowie’s Putting Out Fire With Gasoline as a musical choice for a WWII movie.:biggrin:

• Like 2

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

I thought that too, but it's too obvious.

Maybe the doc or the mayor.

It was the 1880s on the American frontier. Those would not have been choices open to him. Anyway, I don’t think anyone could replace the actors playing the doc or the mayor, especially the doc. He played the hell out of that role. 

• Like 2

I haven’t seen it yet but it is certainly on my list. I loved the original series and am always cautious whenever anything is “rebooted,” but it looks like the full cast is back (sans Cy, R.I.P. Mr Booth). 

3 hours ago, Valmet said:

I haven’t seen it yet but it is certainly on my list. I loved the original series and am always cautious whenever anything is “rebooted,” but it looks like the full cast is back (sans Cy, R.I.P. Mr Booth). 

And RIP Ricky Jay.

9 hours ago, Valmet said:

Keep an open mind and let us know what you think after you've seen it.

• Like 1