Auto repair time estimates?

PNWguy

The recent sub-zero temps ruined my factory Nivomat shocks in my 2005 Yukon at 95k miles.

FYI...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/nivomat-shocks

Nivomat Shocks | DIY. The way they work is as the load increases (such as with cargo and passengers) the pressure increases in the shock displacing fluid from its internal reservoir to its valving system increasing the spring rate essentially preventing the vehicle from “ Squatting ” .It has a pump mechanism and oil reservoir...

Aftermarket replacements were $300 each.  I did some research and learned I could replace them with regular shocks, if I also replaced the rear coil springs with Z71 spec coils since the nivomat spec coils were softer.  So I bought a set of Moog Z71 coils and Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks for $115 total.

It looked like the install involved just unbolting the sway bar and the shocks, lifting the rear of the Yukon until the tires weren't touching, popping out the old coils, putting in the new coils and shocks, and bolting everything back up.  Easy peasy. 

But, due to all of the snow, there was about a foot of crusty snow covering the driveway to my little shop and the constant bouncing and swaying of my broke rear suspension was driving me nuts.  So, I called the local Meineke shop that I've had good luck with for a quote for labor only.  Figured it would be an hour or so and I would fork out the $100 or so to get it done.

Nope.  $338.  I explained that it was 6 frickin' bolts and shouldn't take them more than an hour.  They said the book says 1.5 hours for the shocks and 1.5 hours for the coils.

Decided to wait and do it myself.

Weather warmed up drastically the last few days and we had some 60 degree days so the snow went away.  Today I pulled the Yukon onto my drive and replaced everything in two hours.  The hardest part was figuring out how to safely lift the rig when I discovered that my floor jack no longer worked.  Using a Hi-Lift, bottle jack, and jack stands along with a lot of very slow jacking and trepidation, I got it done.

Had I had a vehicle lift, the job would have taken me an hour.

Not sure how they figured three hours for a professional to do the same job.

Pics from the install...

Old coils were shorter and thinner, and the old shocks were completely toast with fluid leaked all over them...

IMG_20190321_143302034_HDR.jpg.a6cf1961f3b0b126cdd001e654201c00.jpg

After the install, the back end is 2" higher, rides a little stiffer, and handles and feels amazingly good!

IMG_20190321_154638400_HDR.jpg.72ab789a85d5d3e336cd350beca0917c.jpg

• Like 5

14 years and 95,000 miles "ruined" your factory shocks. Shocks are wear items, replacing them is normal. 

Nice to see you do the work yourself, hopefully you got some personal satisfaction from doing it. I'm glad you didn't have any safety issues not having a proper jack!!

The back end will settle a bit as the new shocks break-in.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, PNWguy said:

But, due to all of the snow, there was about a foot of crusty snow covering the driveway to my little shop and the constant bouncing and swaying of my broke rear suspension was driving me nuts.  So, I called the local Meineke shop that I've had good luck with for a quote for labor only.  Figured it would be an hour or so and I would fork out the $100 or so to get it done.

Nope.  $338.  I explained that it was 6 frickin' bolts and shouldn't take them more than an hour.  They said the book says 1.5 hours for the shocks and 1.5 hours for the coils.

Because they have to go by book times. And book times are set so if you have a little trouble you aren't working for free. Yours was an easy one. Now if the bolts were rusted or snapped off, that hour could turn into 4 real quick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

14 years and 95,000 miles "ruined" your factory shocks. Shocks are wear items, replacing them is normal. 

Nice to see you do the work yourself, hopefully you got some personal satisfaction from doing it.

The back end will settle a bit as the new shocks break-in.

I've never noticed new shocks raising a car up.  My guess is the Z71 springs are what did it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

FYI Rockauto has the factory shocks for $250 and some aftermarkets for $126.

Just ordered the motor that controls the vents on my car from there.

The engine/trans/drivetrain on that thing (Honda Civic) are solid, but a lot of the smaller bits are absolute ****.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I've never noticed new shocks raising a car up.  My guess is the Z71 springs are what did it.

Brand-new, shocks take a day or so to settle. At least that's been my experience.

Could be the springs too.

My guess would be that the book says 1.5 hours for the springs.  By themselves.  It also says 1.5 hours for the shocks.  By themselves.

Both seem nearly the same, process wise, as far as what has to come apart - likely pretty much identical up until the part replacement - I'd guess for springs, it's unbolt the bottom end of the shock to get the needed axle drop to swap out the springs, and for shocks the time in the first procedure spent dropping the axle and swapping springs over is instead allocated to unbolting the TOP of the shocks and swapping THEM out.  The shop quotes them to you as if they're sequential jobs with cumulative times, but of course will do both while it's apart.  I'm glad to hear the weather broke sufficiently for you to do the work yourself, but I have to say that the smartarse in me would have been sorely tempted to tell them I couldn't afford both jobs now, so just change the shocks for the 1.5 hr charge, and I'll be back later when my bank account's built up some more to do the springs.  You wanna charge effectively double the labor for parallel jobs?  Fine- DO double the labor!  :tbo:

-Pat

set rates , but check around  ,  i did all my vehicle work  up til now and im 50  i rebuilt one of my 304 jeep motors and on the second motor now then im done rebuilding , i just dont have the stuff to do the head work needed and taking it to a mechanic  and going back and forth  has made my nerves short .

i got a mechanic friend thou who works for chevy dealer  and his own garage at home to work on my gm stuff and some ford

kinda off topic but i needed 3 exterior doors installed  ******* lowes wants 250 a door  bou same price as door .  so i talked to the dude in that dept and said hey instead of me paying lowes  how bout i pay you 350 to do the work on the side ,   so i saved 500 bucks right there,  i just cant hang a door ,tried but never can get it right , 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:12 AM, M&P15T said:

Well, in the dozens of vehicles I've owned over the decades, I've never had a set of shocks go bad literally overnight.

Generally, they slowly lose pressure and/or effectiveness.

To have both rear shocks go bad literally overnight after an extreme temperature drop, I would say it is safe to say that the extreme cold played a major part in their demise.

And yeah, shocks have nothing to do with ride height, they only dampen and modulate the up and down motion of the suspension.