The Kind of Men Who Carry Pocketknives

pipedreams

When I was a kid we used to call a folding pocketknife a "Jack-knife" and every kid in the neighborhood carried one. nere is the Jack-knife that I carry as an adult. It's 5 inches long closed but its so slim and light that it fits in any pocket, even in a pair of dress pants.

I got my first Jack knife from my grandfather when I was about 6 or 7.

opinel slim-3.jpg

• Like 1

The Opinel pictured above is a hidden classic.  For the price the blade is excellent and easily reshaped or sharpened.  It is the classic French knife.

I carry two knives every day.  A Case my wife gave me and a Benchmade Adamas.

Ive had a knife on me for over 25 years.  Not sure you can walk outside without one.  Heck there's one right under the monitor.

Best knife i own:  Randall model 25.  Took nearly 4.5 years to get.

• Like 1

If I had a daughter and she started dating, I would want to know whether or not the young man carried a pocketknife. I see it as an indication of a proper upbringing.

Because I've always find a pocketknife to be so usefull. I've always thought women should carry pocket knives too, and over the years I have encouraged the practice among women I have known and have given pocket knives to women as gifts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Historian said:

I make most of my working knives. 

That's pretty cool.  Can ya show us some of your work? 

I saw a vid of a guy making one hell of a beautiful knife out of a rasp file.  There are so many vids that are cool.  If I had a shop, with the proper machines I'd love to try and make knives out of files.  I'm good with stuff like that, just don't have the machines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=making+a+knife+from+a+file&client=opera&hs=wue&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwjurT5K_gAhVkg-AKHW6YCrkQ_AUIDigB&biw=1048&bih=512

Add me to the I carry two list. Currently on my person as I type, an Emerson CQC7 and Kershaw Leek. (Made in the USA version) I've been carrying pocket knives / jack knives of one kind or another since I was in kindergarten. I use them multiple times per day. 

33 minutes ago, MikeG36 said:

Add me to the I carry two list.

I got pulled over on the interstate a while ago (I ended up with a verbal warning (for nothing),  just so you know),  and the cop told me to get in his passenger seat.  Then he paused and asked if I had any weapons.  I told him I had a knife.  He asked where.  I pointed to four different places (I was going to work).

He just rolled his eyes and told me to put them on the hood of his car, before I got in.

44 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I got pulled over on the interstate a while ago (I ended up with a verbal warning (for nothing),  just so you know),  and the cop told me to get in his passenger seat.  Then he paused and asked if I had any weapons.  I told him I had a knife.  He asked where.  I pointed to four different places (I was going to work).

He just rolled his eyes and told me to put them on the hood of his car, before I got in.

I don't understand that cop logic.  If you are the type of guy that would attack a cop you would not be honest about having weapons.

It was the interstate between Chicago and St. Louis.  I got pulled over four times in five weeks.  It was obviously a targeted-sting area.

I'm a grubby unshaven guy,  in a brand-new rental van,  with a cb antennae on the roof.  And wear my Jessie Pinkman hat.  (Cops hate the Jessie Pinkman hat.)

Sometimes I'd pass several stops (some with dogs) before they pulled me over.  Always got a verbal warning.

I think they get a gist of you pretty quick,  if you seem legit.

I got (allowed) patted-down a couple times.  Never let them search my car;  now you're in deep.

By the time four other cars show up,  and eventually the chief,  they let me go with warnings.

I knew it was a sting area (I had the cb), so I was polite and cooperative.  One time they threatened the dogs,  but I told them to go ahead, and they never did.

Some of the stops I passed had piles and piles of luggage stacked on the shoulder.

Since about April 2016 I have carried an Emerson A100 at least 80% of the time. My main one is a satin plain blade but I also bought a black blade and a half serrated A100 because I like it so well. It is pictured below with the CQC7 mini half serrated. My latest acquisition is a Benchmade 980 Turret with black half serrated blade pictured below. I have been carrying it since I got it recently. It is a Presidio style with G10 scales rather than aluminum contoured differently. I usually carry two pocket knives as well, frequently a 2.9" to 3.26" blade along with a 3.6" to ~ 3.8" blade.

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_0050.jpg

On 2/8/2019 at 7:32 PM, tous said:

Started with an official Cub Scout pocket knife when I was eight years old (1958.)

Have had one in my pocket ever since.

I used to be a nice guy and hand it to folk that needed to open a box or cut a string, but after many dulled, broken or bent blades, now I just smlle and walk away.

My favorite is when someone needs to tighten or loosen a flathead screw... "Hey lemme see your knife"... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, geofri said:

My favorite is when someone needs to tighten or loosen a flathead screw... "Hey lemme see your knife"... 

I once found my friend trying to cut off a radiator hose clamp with my Buck,  by sliding it under and twisting it like a tourniquet.

Ever since,  I always ask what they are going to use it for when they ask to borrow my knife.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I once found my friend trying to cut off a radiator hose clamp with my Buck,  by sliding it under and twisting it like a tourniquet.

Ever since,  I always ask what they are going to use it for when they ask to borrow my knife.

I'da twisted him like a tourniquet!

Edited by geofri
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, geofri said:

And that's one of the reasons I tend to carry a SAK over a small single blade folder.  At least I have the proper tool for the job handy.

Edited by Maccabeus
Grammar
  • Like 2

I've been carrying a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in 51200 steel.  It takes an incredible edge, and it keeps in a while.  The nice part is that it's a high carbon steel, and I don't need anything fancy to sharpen it.  Just bench stones, and I'm good.

The bad part is that it's high carbon steel, and stains and patinas in a very ugly way.  

Otherwise, I'll throw a SAK in my pocket pretty frequently.  The handiness factor just cannot be ignored.