Old Pictures

Eric

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

2 July 1897. Italian scientist Guglielmo Marconi obtained a patent for his new invention: radio.

image.png.dbdb5a03d8d563d26f35ada260c6aaff.png

The two objects to the right that look like microphones are the electrodes for the Electric Spark Gap.  The broad band energy of the spark gap was applied to a capacitor and inductor forming a tuned circuit which transmitted by war of a very long complicated wire structure for an antenna.  It was tuned to a specific frequency like radios are today.  Huge energy for the spark gap, very little energy in a single discrete frequency.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The two objects to the right that look like microphones are the electrodes for the Electric Spark Gap.  The broad band energy of the spark gap was applied to a capacitor and inductor forming a tuned circuit which transmitted by war of a very long complicated wire structure for an antenna.  It was tuned to a specific frequency like radios are today.  Huge energy for the spark gap, very little energy in a single discrete frequency.  

Thanks I was curious about the two items.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

“Raise up a child in the way it should go, and when it is old it will not depart from it.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the coffee cup from my daughter says, "If you love someone let them go.  If they don't come back hunt them down and kill them".  It went over big at work.

• Like 1

tumblr_psq75cug8W1rbjh8to1_1280.jpg.c40f310fb5941e4ae9d87b55cfaf5b5f.jpg

That could be a picture of me back when.....when I had to work in a Tire Shop to support my family including my Parents, four Grandparents, Uncles Aunts and their Children.

I was four and was the onliest one that could find employment. Maybe it’s because the rest of the Family usually started drinking before dawn....unless they’d just continued it all through the night until past dawn.

I never complained. When it was Winter, I wore only a diaper like in the Summer. At night while the family argued and drank, I studied for the SAT Exams. I loved to work. The harder, the better.

By the time I was six (I’d ditched that diaper about a year back) after working all day at the Tire Shop, I got a second job as a Bouncer in a local Brothel. Those women loved me because between their clients I’d tell the stories about my adventures in the Amazon Jungle, wondering the Australian Wastelands with Matilda, free diving in the crushing depths of the Marianna Trench hunting for Giant Squid, or chasing down Wildebeest on the African Plains. Those women got so hungry for my attention that they started bickering and fighting between themselves. I’ve always affected women like that. After the third stabbing, I quit the Bouncing Job, left town and wondered aimlessly. I avoided women for a while.

I purchased sealskin kayak from a dying Inuit in Nome, Alaska. He was a lot older than me, like eight years, I think. He’d been mauled by a Polar Bear in a bar fight that started over a disagreement about who had purchased the last round of drinks. The Bear won of course and the Inuit paid for a second round in a row before losing consciousness from blood loss. The other patrons were whispering to each other about how this Bear was a liar who was always getting out of paying when it was his turn.

Anyway, I got to exploring the waters of the Bering Straits in that kayak. It was the dead of winter and the winds, waves and cold were a bit sultry so I took to diving to the sea bottom to cool off. That’s when I discovered those King Crabs. I brought about 200 tons back to Nome in that worn out kayak and brought the dawn of a new industry to Alaska.

Well, that’s it for now. Hey! Bear!! I ain’t paying for another round until you pay the bartender for this one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Muslim hordes killed General Charles Gordon in 1885, and the British were not having that. So in September 1898 they decided to give the Muzzies what-for, and 400 cavalrymen of the 21st Lancers attacked 2500 stinky jabbering Muslims, and decimated them. Among the British was a young officer named Winston Churchill. He shot multiple Muslims in the face with his 7.63mm Mauser pistol. 

bz-5cf87cd07b8a1.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 7/6/2019 at 3:38 PM, pipedreams said:
Muslim hordes killed General Charles Gordon in 1885, and the British were not having that. So in September 1898 they decided to give the Muzzies what-for, and 400 cavalrymen of the 21st Lancers attacked 2500 stinky jabbering Muslims, and decimated them. Among the British was a young officer named Winston Churchill. He shot multiple Muslims in the face with his 7.63mm Mauser pistol. 

After they killed the 250 muzzies, what happened with the remaining 2250??

• Like 2