100 years ago today...

TBO

It's worth mentioning what this man did to win the Congressional Medal of Honor. With his M1911, Corporal (later promoted to Sergeant ) Alvin C York made six one shot stops in a row with 45 ACP hardball when a German officer and five men charged him with fixed bayonets. Having only a couple of rounds in his rifle, York drew his Colt Government Model 1911 .45, and calmly  picked them off back to front nailing them dead center mass in the same manner he hunted ducks back home in Tennessee.

He then reloaded his rifle and continued shooting at the machine gunners in the force that he and a handful of men wwere confronted with using his rifle, shouting at them to surrender. Finally a German officer signaled for a parley and was surprised to find out his attacker was a Yank, thinking at first he was British. He turned his P.08 Luger over to York and agreed to surrender his men if York would stop shooting. Alvin agreed, covering the prisoner with his M1911 while about 50 men emerged from the emplacement. One German tossed a hand grenade at York’s head and, though it missed him, it wounded one of the other prisoners. He shot the grenadier, just to make sure the others would come along with no trouble.

When the captives were rounded up, York called out to his men to move out. One private expressed his concern that it would be difficult to get the prisoners back to American lines with so few guards. The German officer, overhearing the conversation, asked York just how many men he had, to which the corporal replied, “I got a plenty.”

He had the prisoners carry the wounded and pointed his Colt at the major, forcing him to take the head of the column. As they proceeded, two other machine gunners moved into position to fire on the procession. York told the officer to order these men to surrender or he would blow his head off. By the time they reached battalion headquarters, York’s tiny unit had rounded up 132 prisoners. Later, when he reported to the brigade commander, Gen. Julian R. Lindsay, the general commented, “Well, York, I hear you captured the whole damned German army,” York corrected him, “Nossir, I only have 132.” When he was asked how he accomplished the deed, he replied with characteristic understatement, “I surrounded ’em.”

It almost seems impossible what he did, but 132 enemy soldiers were indeed captured by just a handful of men commanded by then-Corporal Alvin C York.

sgt alvin-york-l9.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

It's amazing what you can do, even if you struggle to do it. 

He felt his religion wouldn't let him kill another human. 

He determined that his religion also didn't let him allow others to be killed. 

He did the right thing as he saw it.  The best thing any one of us could do, if we have the will he did.

• Like 3

While not in the same division as York,below is a picture of my father. He was born in November of 1895 and was 59 when I was born. He served in Co. C 353 Inf. 89 Inf. Division and was injured in a a gas attack. He returned home and was discharged at Camp Dodge,IA in August 1919. He passed away in March 1960 one month before my 5th birthday.

q5KUno.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Alvin York
York.jpg
MOH WWI.jpg
Sergeant Alvin York
Birth name Alvin Cullum York
Nickname(s) "Sergeant York"
Born December 13, 1887
Pall Mall, Tennessee
Died September 2, 1964 (aged 76)
Nashville, Tennessee
Place of burial Wolf River Cemetery, Pall Mall
Allegiance 46px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States
Service/branch 43px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Army_%28o United States Army
Years of service 1917–1919 (Army)
1942–1945 (Army)
1941–1951 (Tennessee State Guard)
Rank
Unit Company G, 328th Infantry Regiment, 167th Infantry Brigade, 82nd Infantry Division (World War I)
Commands held 7th Regiment, Tennessee State Guard
Battles/wars

World War I

Awards
Spouse(s) Gracie Loretta Williams

"...Alvin Cullum York (December 13, 1887 – September 2, 1964), also known as Sergeant York, was one of the most decorated United States Army soldiers of World War I.[1] He received the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking at least one machine gun, killing at least 25[2] enemy soldiers and capturing 132. York's Medal of Honor action occurred during the United States-led portion of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive in France,..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_York

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ron B said:

Are you sure he was awarded the "Congressional" Medal of Honor?

Officially it is the Medal of Honor.  It has been called the Congressional because it can be recommended by a member of Congress as well as military authorities.  Early on, it was also called the Congressional to distinguish it from other medals honoring acts of valor.  The members belong to “ The Congressional Medal of Honor Society.”  

Hawk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1