Oregon hunter in critical condition after hanging upside down from tree stand for two days

pipedreams

The older I get the more I hunt from pop-up ground blinds. 

When I do use a ladder stand or climber I use a harness and climbing rated rope that goes all the way to the ground. I use a prussik knot setup and keep a spare prussik and a paracord loop attached to to the harness. 

If I fall, I can self rescue myself to the ground.  And I have tested it on multiple occasions to ensure it can be done with frozen hands or even one handed if necessary  

Properly worn my harness setup won’t let me fall. I have slipped a couple times and the prussik caught me before I had a chance to fall. 

I personally know four people who suffered serious injuries from treestand falls without being roped in. Two of them have lifelong, chronic, life changing injuries. 

• Like 1

into todays tech world always  surprises me with stuff like this ,  let  people know where you are , how long , gps ,  and  alot of times SPOT ,  when we go camping off beaten trails ,  our daughters know what to do if our plan deviates ,  and we carry  SPOT .   simple things can save your life but people just assume  they will be fine .  like hikers who die of thirst .  if all of them took a spot  with them they would be alive today .  think people .