Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

5 hours ago, Dric902 said:

What’s falling off?

A nuke; this was a procedure call LABS - Low Altitude Bombing System . Also called a bomb toss.

Allowed  delivery of a nuke and then beat feet to get away from the blast.

bombtoss1.jpg.9856e52db31c2b94a7e44e4b15e2b20c.jpg

Edited by willie-pete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, willie-pete said:

A nuke; this was a procedure call LABS - Low Altitude Bombing System . Also called a bomb toss.

Allowed  delivery of a nuke and then beat feet to get away from the blast.

bombtoss1.jpg.9856e52db31c2b94a7e44e4b15e2b20c.jpg

I understood the Wild Weasels did that with AA targets to get more range on the missiles, but that was with Phantoms

I’ve never seen that one, I bet that was a hell of a ride

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I will be the first to admit that I am not a newculuh fizziescyst, but aside from the stresses upon a large aircraft not necessarily designed for such a feat, the physics seem pretty spooky.  At some point, the supersonic shockwave will overtake the subsonic aircraft, which is going to be a major airspeed change.  Also, at some point, that changes to the point you may, theoretically experience VMC and VNE within a few seconds, although, obviously, there are many variables.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Well, I will be the first to admit that I am not a newculuh fizziescyst, but aside from the stresses upon a large aircraft not necessarily designed for such a feat, the physics seem pretty spooky.  At some point, the supersonic shockwave will overtake the subsonic aircraft, which is going to be a major airspeed change.  Also, at some point, that changes to the point you may, theoretically experience VMC and VNE within a few seconds, although, obviously, there are many variables.

Well the Tu-95 Bear was able to survive Tsar Bomba at about 59 megatons. It dropped about half a mile when the shock wave hit, but they had dropped it from 34,000 feet and it exploded 4,000 feet above the ground.

The shock wave destroyed houses 34 miles from ground zero and broke windows in Finland and Norway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Well the Tu-95 Bear was able to survive Tsar Bomba at about 59 megatons. It dropped about half a mile when the shock wave hit, but they had dropped it from 34,000 feet and it exploded 4,000 feet above the ground.

The shock wave destroyed houses 34 miles from ground zero and broke windows in Finland and Norway.

Do you know what the distance from GZ the noisy bear was at time of detonation?

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Do you know what the distance from GZ the noisy bear was at time of detonation?

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC the Bear was 25 miles away when it detonated and the shock wave hit them when they were 70 odd miles away.

A Bear's top speed is about 575 mph and I assume they were going balls to the wall to get away.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...