Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

A short lesson on how government works.

The F-15 was designed and manufactured -- and upgraded -- years before the F/A-18 and as the air frames were similar, you would think that we could go and ask the F-15 guys about their experiences and get some of their test and wind tunnel data.

But noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Since theirs was an Air Force contract and ours was a Navy project, we weren't allowed to talk to each other.  :miff:

About anything.  :miff:

Go to jail for 20 years not allowed.  :miff:

Your tax dollars at work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A short lesson on how government works.
The F-15 was designed and manufactured -- and upgraded -- years before the F/A-18 and as the air frames were similar, you would think that we could go and ask the F-15 guys about their experiences and get some of their test and wind tunnel data.
But noooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Since theirs was an Air Force contract and ours was a Navy project, we weren't allowed to talk to each other.  :miff:
About anything.  :miff:
Go to jail for 20 years not allowed.  :miff:
Your tax dollars at work.

And since the F-35 is supposedly a multi-service platform, I suspect nobody could talk with anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was working in Malta this week and had a couple spare hours and a rental car. I found the quaint Malta Aviation Museum. They’re still finding bits and pieces of WW2 all over the place out here. Malta was the most densely bombed country in the war.
Love these hole in the wall museums...11719E37-35F2-490C-8BEE-21CDC506A9A4.thumb.jpeg.16f30b4786479327f3c4564230a4f3d8.jpeg1A13CABC-8346-4605-AC69-CFAF614F8221.thumb.jpeg.923202db776b6f17da0a30554f0b4b88.jpegAB68F9D8-A4C4-4A1C-A55D-428F94500E12.thumb.jpeg.149d02955959a540172c8f152c78494f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I visited Malta as a port of call for my ship.  It was fascinating to see just how much of a fortress it is, as recorded in even ancient history.

I was luck enough to participate in an impromptu celebration all up and down one avenue that consisted of mostly bars.

It was damn near an historical event, to see hundreds of every bar patron from many different country's navies, out in the street fighting with every other bar patron.   

I think Malta has cornered the market on stone blocks.

Added: When my little Minesweeper entered port, it was disconcerting to see an English Destroyer tracking us with all their deck guns until we anchored.

I'm sure it was all in jest.  Maybe!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our return to supersonic travel is getting closer.

NASA announced that the final assembly of its supersonic X-plane, the X-59 Quiet SuperSonic Technology (QueSST), has been approved. The decision, known as Key Decision Point-D (KDP-D), was the last hurdle before the QueSST aircraft is cleared to make its first flight in 2021.

The plane, designed and put together by Lockheed Martin, has a long, pointed nose and is built so that the sonic boom sound is reduced to a "gentle thump" or possibly no sound at all, NASA added. The new plane's sound when passing by will register around 75 Perceived Level decibel, much lower than a Sonic boom, which comes in at 90.

678CA27C-A193-41C2-9454-49174146D330.thumb.jpeg.1f3b9f4b2027b972e2333f88f837d79f.jpeg
  • Like 1

NASA announced that the final assembly of its supersonic X-plane, the X-59 Quiet SuperSonic Technology (QueSST), has been approved. The decision, known as Key Decision Point-D (KDP-D), was the last hurdle before the QueSST aircraft is cleared to make its first flight in 2021.

The plane, designed and put together by Lockheed Martin, has a long, pointed nose and is built so that the sonic boom sound is reduced to a "gentle thump" or possibly no sound at all, NASA added. The new plane's sound when passing by will register around 75 Perceived Level decibel, much lower than a Sonic boom, which comes in at 90.
  678CA27C-A193-41C2-9454-49174146D330.thumb.jpeg.1f3b9f4b2027b972e2333f88f837d79f.jpeg

Will that have a tilting nose/cockpit as some other SuperSonics have had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Dric902 said:

Just for info:  Each additional 3 dB is double the sound power of the previous number.  This is an exponential scale that increased to unreasonable quickly!

• Like 1

Not enough engines.

Not enough vertical stabilizers.

Canards.

:shakehead:

Try again.

Sonic booms are, if I remember, in the 0 - 100 Hz frequency range.

Requires a lot of power, but sound in that range propogates forever.

Most people have never heard a sonic boom except for the nonsense Hollywood puts out; which means that they have never head a sonic boom.

They are annoying, not end-of-the-world cataclysmic.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

IIRC, the YB-49 suffered from an incorrectable wobbling yaw, which doomed it as a bomber. Or, it may have been out-lobbied by Boeing. Depends on whom you ask.

It was a control function that had no solution until recently.  Not pilot, nor concept.  It took IIRC, multiple computers to make it fly superbly.  

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...