Quickling

How to make shotgun range time fun?

I've never been much of a fan of planning with shotguns during range time, I just don't know how to make them fun...

What kind of drills or practicing do you guys do?

• #1 thing with any firearm,  making it fun, is make it something the shooter is capable off and still capable of missing. If you are never hitting anything, it won't last long, it is too hard. If you NEVER miss or start joking around just to make it fun, it is too easy.
  • Shotguns are designed and intended for moving targets. Use them that way.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays.   

I suck at shooting shotguns but I'm not giving up.     I'm still aiming instead of pointing.    

It is a lot like shooting steel though.  There is something very gratifying in destroying a clay pigeon.   

• Thanks 1

One of the most fun "wing" shooting I ever did was after a round of golf in the morning.  In the afternoon we went to the gravel pit with a couple clay pigeon throwers.  My buddy got the idea of taking out his flop wedge and hitting some old balls he found in the woods.  Hard to hit, but when you nail one good, that golf ball really does some crazy things.  We all had a great time and laughed about how much fun it woud be hiding in the woods with a shotgun off the tee box of a par 3 hole on our favorite course.

• Like 1

Anything that breaks, explodes of sprays is fun. Cheap cookies, crackers, I fill a lot of old soda bottles with water but shot guns always come back to clay targets and the best thing you can do is get the targets moving.

The sooner you can get them HITTING moving targets, the sooner the most fun starts with shot guns. I just can't recommend 410 shotgus as beginner shots enough. No one wants to get kicked in the face over and over all day. If getting them moving and hitting targets is what makes shot guns fun, getting kicked in the face is the exact opposite. It will END shotguns for beginners faster than anything else.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:57 PM, Jack Ryan said:
  • #1 thing with any firearm,  making it fun, is make it something the shooter is capable off and still capable of missing. If you are never hitting anything, it won't last long, it is too hard. If you NEVER miss or start joking around just to make it fun, it is too easy.
  • Shotguns are designed and intended for moving targets. Use them that way.

Great advice here ^^^

one reason i ditched my shotgun is ranges only allow slugs and shotguns with slugs arent fun. Probably will get a shotgun again since i now live near a good clay sports place.

1 minute ago, Boogieman said:

Head over to Dollar General and pick up a bunch of cheap spray cans of pressurized anything.

Propane tanks are the best! Just make sure you're not too close :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Propane tanks are the best! Just make sure you're not too close :D

From paint to hairspray.  Any flammable propellant will do just fine.  Get a little fire going near the cans and start blasting away.

• Like 1

I have a wire strung between a couple of trees, and bent some more wire into hangars for clay pigeons.  Spread them out and see how fast I can take them out in a row with the mossy 500 pump without missing any.

Other than that it's mostly soda cans, and occasionally breaking out the cheap clay thrower to launch a few in the back field.

Pattern with 00 Buckshot at realistic ranges to see what it will actually do. Shoot logs, abandoned cars, cantaloupes and other fun targets with it. 

Anything clay and moving is way fun to me. Beach shooting boring. Whether a shot gun, pistol or rifle I like shooting quick.