How do you get your caffeine?

Rabbi

9 minutes ago, Number Six said:

A special kind of piety? Maybe you cannot put you finger on it because there is NO hidden agenda?

I am merely stating the facts of my life experience to suggest why I do not drink beverages containing caffeine.

No where in my post did I cast aspersions or denigrate anyone who has a different life experience. 

Indeed, there was never any mention of anyone else at all . . .

By the way, my final comment regarding "highfalutin beverages" was meant to be taken as a joke. 

Hence the Emoticon.

Maybe I should refrain from any future attempts at humor?

No, your shot at humor was fine, someone in the audience just didn't get it. Start a thread titled "What sort of diet will help remove the bug up my butt", he will have no reply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I get it by coming here.

Seriously, coffee, but only in the morning.  Sometimes in the afternoon.  Rarely in the evening, except after dinner, when I'm in Europe.  Then it's espresso.  Followed by alcohol and more conversation.  But really coffee, mostly morning.  And soda in the afternoon and evening.  Forced off caffeine completely several years ago.  But back on, and happily so.

3 minutes ago, Packinaglock said:

I like my coffee just like G30sf/F250 likes his men, strong and black.

ACES... I tried to work that into a thread and fell short, plus I didn't want my brother to ban me.

• Haha 3

Tea.  I adore tea.  Some mornings, the husband makes me a cup and we sit outside and watch the sun rise.  Other mornings, he's gone when I get up, and I make myself an entire pot.  I'll drink half of it, go do the animal chores, and come back inside and drink the other half.  Genmaicha, or TiQuanYin, or whatever frou-frou flavored tea fits the season (Hot Green Cinnamon in the winter, Rose in the summer, Chocolate in the fall).  Right now my fave is Dragon Well.  Very light and a little bit creamy.

If I have to drive for more than four hours at a time, I drink Red Bull.  It keeps road hypnosis from setting in...

Also, for the record, coffee tastes disgusting.  It smells divine while it's roasting, but it tastes just nasty, and the taste doesn't go away for hours.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

I'm not sure what too much caffeine feels like, I have never gotten there. Loads of Iced Tea all day long and the occasional 5 hour energy drink.

Truth is, I pushed it too far one time. I was in college about a century ago and had mid-terms-so classes were still in session. I was also working the graveyard shift to pay for college; so, No Doz and Vivarin became my best friends that week. I was setting in one of my criminal justice classes beside my room-mate and would start to fade off, then the caffeine would kick in. It was not a gentle nudge it was more like being hit by a defibrillator. I would jerk awake in my seat, cold and clammy and very aware that I had the entire classes attention. About the 3rd time I went back to the dorm and slept.

• Like 1

Just now, Taipei Personality said:

I think the term you’re looking for is asceticism.

Why?

I never said I was abstaining from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

I merely responded to this thread to say that I have never tried caffeine.

Therefore, I could not help the OP?

• Like 1

Just now, Number Six said:

Why?

I never said I was abstaining from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

I’m sorry, I should have clarified my post - it wasn’t a dig at you. I was trying to help NPTim come up with a word. As you said, you didn’t cast aspersions on anyone for their choices and I respect that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Number Six said:

Why?

Piety vs. asceticism...Six of one, half a dozen of the other. "Crowing" on the other hand is him saying your boastful. I try not to form a decision on a single post from anyone, but after a few dozen posts a pretty good picture of who they are begins to emerge.

59 minutes ago, Number Six said:

A special kind of piety? Maybe you cannot put you finger on it because there is NO hidden agenda?

I am merely stating the facts of my life experience to suggest why I do not drink beverages containing caffeine.

No where in my post did I cast aspersions or denigrate anyone who has a different life experience. 

Indeed, there was never any mention of anyone else at all . . .

By the way, my final comment regarding "highfalutin beverages" was meant to be taken as a joke. 

Hence the Emoticon.

Maybe I should refrain from any future attempts at humor?

No, you absolutely didn’t cast aspersions nor denigrate anyone, truth.

32 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

Truth is, I pushed it too far one time.

A long time ago (1979) I was stationed at Luke AFB, AZ as an avionics tech on F-15s. I went to party one night and got to talking with a young lady and simply forgot to go to sleep. In the morning, I high-tailed it to the chow hall before work and drank about ten cups of coffee to make it through my shift.

Everything was fine for the first seven hours or so. I was wide-awake and had plenty of energy. The last hour, though, was miserable. I could feel the caffeine wearing off and the crash coming.

My last job was a comms check on one of our F-15B family models. They were going to do an engine run on it, so I was told to get in the back seat and do my checks. All went well until they found a minor oil leak and had to run longer than expected, so I just settled back and waited.

This was Phoenix in August, so the ramp temperature was about 110 degrees and I was in a T-shirt. The engine guy in the front seat had the air conditioner on and the vents were pointed at my face. I promptly fell asleep.

I remember dreaming that I was in a snow storm and freezing to death. I awoke, shivering, to bright sunlight streaming through the canopy, snow blowing in my face, and maniacal laughter in my headset. The guy running the jet had seen me nod off in his mirrors and had turned the environmental control system to full blast and full cold. Cognitive dissonance at it’s finest.

Edited by Taipei Personality
typo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Taipei Personality said:

A long time ago (1979) I was stationed at Luke AFB, AZ as an avionics tech on F-15s. I went to party one night and got to talking with a young lady and simply forgot to go to sleep. In the morning, I high-tailed it to the chow hall before work and drank about ten cups of coffee to make it through my shift.

Everything was fine for the first seven hours or so. I was wide-awake and had plenty of energy. The last hour, though, was miserable. I could feel the caffeine wearing off and the crash coming.

My last job was a comma check on one of our F-15B family models. They were going to do an engine run on it, so I was told to get in the back seat and do my checks. All went well until they found a minor oil leak and had to run longer than expected, so I just settled back and waited.

This was Phoenix in August, so the ramp temperature was about 110 degrees and I was in a T-shirt. The engine guy in the front seat had the air conditioner on and the vents were pointed at my face. I promptly fell asleep.

I remember dreaming that I was in a snow storm and freezing to death. I awoke, shivering, to bright sunlight streaming through the canopy, snow blowing in my face, and maniacal laughter in my headset. The guy running the jet had seen me nod off in his mirrors and had turned the environmental control system to full blast and full cold. Cognitive dissonance at it’s finest.

I never realized just how good those systems were, then there was a recent news post that a commercial pilot used the a/c on high to drive people from the plane...How do I get that kind of system installed on my Expedition?

• Like 2