Cardinals

Mrs Glockrunner

4 hours ago, Mrs Glockrunner said:

My Bird Feeder holds a little over three gallons of seed per fill.  I buy "High Oil Sunflower seed mix with fruit and nuts in it.  I get many Cardinals and Blue Jays along with a mix of small song birds.

The little critters cost me $80 (80 lbs.) approximately every two weeks for food and now $25 for a 25 lb. bag of Peanuts in the shell every 3 or 4 weeks.  We buy from the feed mill in the next town.  I consider it damned cheap entertainment!

The Blue Jays grab the nuts while the Cardinals go for the seeds.  I overfill the feeder so the birds knock a good deal of seeds on the ground and the Squirrels clean it up for me.  I started throwing Peanuts in the shell on the ground under the feeder, to ensure that my Squirrels can survive the Summer/Winter.

It's fun to watch the Squirrels grabbing Peanuts and running home to stash them away one or two at a time, while the Blue Jays will also take the "in the shell Peanuts", and swallow them whole (up to two peanuts at a time) then grab another in their beak to take home with them, then come back for more.

None of my little "dependents" cause any problems for me and very few live in my yard.  I can see them coming from all over the block to my feeder on my security cameras (8 of them) and than later they simply go back home.

My wife and I love it in the Summer, when we can sit on the patio and throw nuts to the birds and Squirrels while listening to 50's/60's sappy love songs, sipping "drinks",  and playing with the critters.  It makes for a very good day.  She's so happy and cheerful now that I call her my second wife, and the majority of our marriage was with my ex wife, who was one  and the same.  

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

We normally have a bunch of cardinals, wrens, finches, chickadees, and others at our feeders.  Not this year.  We have a few, but not like we usually do.

Our feeders are right outside our kitchen windows and we love watching them.  We're trying to entice bluebirds to our bluebird house.  We have them interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we are currently in battle with a mocking bird.  he took over the bird feeders and attacks the rest of the birds..  put a feeder about 20-30 feet away to entice him away from the main feeders but now he thinks all of them are his..

any thoughts on getting him gone? 

11 hours ago, GT4494 said:

we are currently in battle with a mocking bird.  he took over the bird feeders and attacks the rest of the birds..  put a feeder about 20-30 feet away to entice him away from the main feeders but now he thinks all of them are his..

Rent a cat

12 hours ago, GT4494 said:

Ever heard of "Air Soft"? 345 FPS

gp-urex-2279068.jpg