What does “Lifetime Warranty” really mean?

railfancwb

Ha-Ha!  Those "Lifetime Warranties" don't seem to be such a hot deal when you hit my age.   Not much of an incentive anymore.

I remember when it hit me.  I was buying some silicone caulking when replacing a few windows.   They had the 50 year stuff, 30 year stuff and the 20 year stuff.   I laughed and went the cheap route.  It will be somebody else's problem when the warranty runs out.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 3:48 PM, jmohme said:

Lifetime of a company would certainly be a limiting factor to any warranty.

I hate to see anyone go under, but it does happen, especially in a time when people are forced to stay home and have no money to spend.

^Agreed^

I had one experience with a "Lifetime Warranty" a few years back. The kydex on my holster broke after many years of use, and I was trying to get in touch with the company to find out if I could just buy another shell. The company was new when I bought the holster, and the delivery was very slow, but they warned you of it right up front.

Anyhow, expecting the former turn around time, I hit them up on the weekend email. Monday morning, I got a response, that they had a lifetime warranty and meant it. Just send it to them, make sure I had a good return address in the package, and they would replace/repair it. OK, I didn't want to be without for a month or so, but what the heck. Sent them my info and the shipping tracker from USPS. That was on a Tuesday. The next Tuesday, I had a box in the mail, and two holsters. They said they weren't comfortable with the repair, so they sent me a new holster. The repair didn't hold up for long, but I didn't expect it to, and neither did they.

Hard to argue their turn around or their CS. There are good companies out there. When I originally purchased they were a one man show, literally. There is a staff now, I don't know how many,but they have grown enough to allow for several employees and some inventory on hand.

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maser said:

I have never and will never buy warranties.  Less money spent of warranties, more money that gets to be spent on more fun stuff. ?

Just happened today again.  I tell them "Hell no, I don't want a warranty.  If it breaks I'll just buy another one, or a better one".  I never buy warranties.  The clerk just laughed at my response.  They know it's just another scheme to make more money.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:10 PM, Maser said:

I have never and will never buy warranties.  Less money spent of warranties, more money that gets to be spent on more fun stuff. ?

In some cases I think the goods where they now offer extended warranty are the same as before. They just decided to offload the cost of warranty service onto the customer while creating a new revenue stream. 

• Thanks 1