LAX Built on Mines Field

Eric

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

Looks much better back then.

My first trip to LAX was in 1957.  We got out of the plane onto the Tarmac, and walked to the Terminal.

The air was literally Green, and when you breathed it felt like you were inhaling Battery Acid,  I stayed in the terminal where it was easier to breath,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere in the family photo albums is a picture taken in January 1953, at Love Field in Dallas. My mom has me, 2 months old, cradled in her arms, my dad at her side, and in the background the plane... a Delta Air Lines DC3. My first ride on an airplane...

Air travel back in the pre-jet age was fun. I remember flying on DC3s, DC6s, Constellations... walking out on the tarmac to climb the stairs to board the aircraft. And a box lunch was actually a BOX LUNCH.

In fact, my mom and dad met while they both worked for Delta. Mom was a flight attendant, and dad was a gate agent who opened the door of the plane upon arrival. When they married, mom had to quit... rules back then prevented couples from working for the same airline.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

My first trip to LAX was in 1957.  We got out of the plane onto the Tarmac, and walked to the Terminal.

The air was literally Green, and when you breathed it felt like you were inhaling Battery Acid,  I stayed in the terminal where it was easier to breath,

Why was the air so BAD back then?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Why was the air so BAD back then?

I don't really know.  I had never experienced such horrible pollution anywhere else.

I guess it was just the stagnant air in the "valley" that simply wouldn't move or clear out.

I was on my way to San Diego Radio Navy School  and it was clear and fresh there.

• Thanks 1

nothing i mean nothing beats  the smoke   in  Atlanta  airport with the plastic flap doors .  lets see last time thru there was 2003 i think   , my traveling companion needed a smoke  ,  we walked in that room  and i swear  it was like a gut punch you are not ready for .  i was in there for all of 5 seconds .

• Like 1