Shelter in place is making us a little testy?

TXUSMC

I was lurking over at TOS, and noticed that some pretty innocent posts got some folks’ dander up. Is all this shelter in place and social distancing making some, or many, of us a little more impatient/ less tolerant of a different opinion?

Just asking’... not tryin’ to kick over anyone’s rice bowl (but then again, if you feel the need, it’s on, cuz ?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The idiocy of the governor of MI is making me testy, telling people to call 911 and report on their neighbors for violating her shelter in place order.  PER HER OWN ORDER, people can still...

Go to the grocery store or pick up take-out food.

Go to the pharmacy to pick up a needed prescription.

Engage in outdoor activities like walking, hiking, running, biking.

Go to the hospital or secure any care necessary to address a medical emergency or to preserve your health or the health of a loved one.

Fill your car with gas.

Return to Michigan to a home or place of residence from outside the State.

Leave the State for a home or residence elsewhere.

Walk your pets and take them to the veterinarian for needed medical care.

Soooo, explain to me how swamping 911 with calls about OMG THE NEIGHBORS ARE ON THEIR PORCH!  is going to do anything except prevent people who are actually in danger from getting thru to 911, and actually getting the help they need when their lives are truly threatened?

I have been remarkably UNtesty about everything about this.  Mostly I have been mildly amused, due to the number of people who have called me to apologize for thinking our prepping was crazy over the years, and asking if they could borrow a gun (NOT MINE!).  But this particular bit of stupidity and the utter lack of common sense it shows, has me reaching heights of testy I haven't felt in years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Soooo, explain to me how swamping 911 with calls about OMG THE NEIGHBORS ARE ON THEIR PORCH!  is going to do anything except prevent people who are actually in danger from getting thru to 911, and actually getting the help they need when their lives are truly threatened?

I just heard a mayor in the Tampa Bay area say, "The coronavirus will kill you".

Damn! That thing has a 100% kill rate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will say, getting outside is good for my morale. Staying indoors... not so much. So, I pull out a lawn chair and a good book, sit in the shade, and enjoy. Or, grab my trekking pole and head out for an hour or two. I don't need the personal contact as much as I do a routine beyond the inner walls of the house. 

• Like 4

"Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been cited by organizations like The New York Times and has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson’s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson has changed his tune, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments.

Ferguson thus dropped his prediction from 500,000 dead to 20,000..."  https://www.dailywire.com/news/epidemiologist-behind-highly-cited-coronavirus-model-admits-he-was-wrong-drastically-revises-model

I guess it works out like when we first went to the moon with 3.1415 calculations. Missed it by >< this much...

• Haha 1

If you actually do any of that, then I guess it's on you.  Testy-up!

Ruth's Chris in Savannah is open,  so I'm just going to order half of the menu!

The whole town (state?) has been ordered into the Two Minute Hate starting at 5pm tomorrow.

(I can't wait for Newark next week.  I'm just taking my own food,  because that town is totally F'd up on it's best day.)

1 hour ago, TXUSMC said:

I was lurking over at TOS, and noticed that some pretty innocent posts got some folks’ dander up. Is all this shelter in place and social distancing making some, or many, of us a little more impatient/ less tolerant of a different opinion?

Just asking’... not tryin’ to kick over anyone’s rice bowl (but then again, if you feel the need, it’s on, cuz ?)

Yes and no.  Yes, normal people are going stir crazy (figuratively), and no, liberals are already there.

• Haha 2

Mrs.Cicero 

"I have been remarkably UNtesty about everything about this.  Mostly I have been mildly amused, due to the number of people who have called me to apologize for thinking our prepping was crazy over the years, and asking if they could borrow a gun (NOT MINE!).  But this particular bit of stupidity and the utter lack of common sense it shows, has me reaching heights of testy I haven't felt in years" 

I have had two 3 people contact me  asking if I would have any ammunition that I would sale. My reply was "not at this time". I have also had my insurance agent inquire about obtaining a pistol for self defense. I directed her to two reputable gun shops and said she could decide which pistol fit her best and felt comfortable to her. She could then contact my wife and I ( we're both certified NRA Handgun & Home Safety instructors) and we would be happy to give her some basic training,fundamentals,etc at no charge to her. We spent 6 hours this past Saturday teaching my brother/sister in law the basics of defensive pistol shooting going through 300 rds of 9mm and 200 rds of .22 LR. They all have a very different view of self defense now since this Covid19 crisis .

Edited by G21H30
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

I will say, getting outside is good for my morale. Staying indoors... not so much. So, I pull out a lawn chair and a good book, sit in the shade, and enjoy. Or, grab my trekking pole and head out for an hour or two. I don't need the personal contact as much as I do a routine beyond the inner walls of the house. 

I spent a couple of hours cutting wood on the back 40 with my FIL. He's 80 and just about to work me to death. :supergrin:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

I spent a couple of hours cutting wood on the back 40 with my FIL. He's 80 and just about to work me to death. :supergrin:

When I was young there was an old man living by himself in a tiny shack/house.  In the Summer he would cut 16 cords of wood with an axe and split it to heat the house in the Winter.  Some people can do amazing stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, willie-pete said:

No, I am not testy.

And if you don’t quit pestering me, I am going to come over there and kick your ass.

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about ?

Edited by TXUSMC
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, G21H30 said:

I have had two 3 people contact me  asking if I would have any ammunition that I would sale. My reply was "not at this time". I have also had my insurance agent inquire about obtaining a pistol for self defense. I directed her to two reputable gun shops and said she could decide which pistol fit her best and felt comfortable to her. She could then contact my wife and I ( we're both certified NRA Handgun & Home Safety instructors) and we would be happy to give her some basic training,fundamentals,etc at no charge to her. We spent 6 hours this past Saturday teaching my brother/sister in law the basics of defensive pistol shooting going through 300 rds of 9mm and 200 rds of .22 LR. They all have a very different view of self defense now since this Covid19 crisis .

Isn't that fun?  For years I've tried to get certain of my family and friends to the range, and for years they've rolled their eyes at me.  Now they are asking for guns, and they have no freaking idea how to fire one.  I am happy to give them free instruction on the safe handling of a firearms, and the fundamentals of marksmanship, but I  sure wish they had had the common sense to prep BEFORE the storm.  My oldest daughter informed me today that in her online interactions with certain friends/acquaintances over the last week of quarantine, she has come to the conclusion that many of her age cohort should NOT EVER BE DEPENDED ON in a crisis, because they are all either actually panicking, engaging in panic theater (because it's "the thing to do"), or simply too lacking in common sense to be anything but dead weight in her lifeboat.  She finds this depressing, so tomorrow I'm taking her out back to shoot her new AR.  That will cheer us both up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Isn't that fun?  For years I've tried to get certain of my family and friends to the range, and for years they've rolled their eyes at me.  Now they are asking for guns, and they have no freaking idea how to fire one.  I am happy to give them free instruction on the safe handling of a firearms, and the fundamentals of marksmanship, but I  sure wish they had had the common sense to prep BEFORE the storm.  My oldest daughter informed me today that in her online interactions with certain friends/acquaintances over the last week of quarantine, she has come to the conclusion that many of her age cohort should NOT EVER BE DEPENDED ON in a crisis, because they are all either actually panicking, engaging in panic theater (because it's "the thing to do"), or simply too lacking in common sense to be anything but dead weight in her lifeboat.  She finds this depressing, so tomorrow I'm taking her out back to shoot her new AR.  That will cheer us both up.

Mrs. Cicero, there must have been more than a little parental pride in hearing your oldest daughter’s opinion of her peers being “dead weight in her lifeboat”. Congrats on your excellent parenting... our nation is stronger for it! ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I have found that people that try new things and find something that's out of the ordinary to do, seem to feel personally more secure in their own ability to change things around them.  Nothing breeds real success as much as little successes along the way.

Along with that feeling of personal security, the more they try and find success through determination and effort, the more independent and confident they are no matter what they do.  Confidence results in a willingness to attack problems and that again breeds success.  To many people are so afraid of failure, they they don't even try.

Once you have the idea, and some success at things that are considered different, you develop The confidence that you can handle things yourself, regardless of whether you have people around you or not.

Many people I have met appear to need other people around them.  They don't seem to be comfortable by themselves and their self worth appears to be from praise from others and not from their own personal accomplishments.

I hounded my kids growing up, to simply try to do anything that they thought might be interesting, with the idea that they might find that "thing" that gave them the personal satisfaction in knowing they could do damn near anything, if they wanted to.  I called it independence.  I never consciously taught them the word failure.  When your efforts didn't pan out you simply had a learning experience.

I don't believe that kids today are taught that they can succeed through effort.  They seem to think that to succeed you need other people pulling for you.  I personally found that when the crap hits the fan, the only people you can rely on are family and yourself. 

There is nothing wrong with being independent. Other people think personal independence is  isolating yourself because you have a problem.  In reality it's their problem, and it's because they need someone to tell them they are good people.

When you are independent you know you're good people, you have past successes that emphasize this for you.

You sound like you are doing what I did with my kids.  Once you get them to believe in themselves,  nobody on this Earth can make them believe that they need others to survive.  The greatest thing I believe you can give to your kids is the confidence in themselves that they can tackle damn near anything and make it happen their way.

My upbringing was rather unusual, in that after my mother left when I was 12, us kids for all practical purposes raised ourselves.  My father did a wonderful job with us, but he was of the opinion you had to be strong to survive, we learned this in the simple acts of growing up.  In my later life I see that this strength is self confidence and determination.  It's not magic but something you get from your parents.

Now that I'm old, I find that other people more often than not, are a disappointment to me because they lack confidence in their own ability.  Partying is fun, but when it's over, you still have a job to do.  But my salvation is that the best people I know and want around me are my own kids.  They are independent, smart, tasted their own successes and reflect my attitude. I suspect you found the same thing.

I constantly told them that they had to be able to look inside themselves and objectively understand what kind of person they were.  This is a very important factor in dealing with others.  I also told them that if they found they were assholes, the question was only if they were comfortable being that, and dealing with the consequences. 

If they were and they were happy with it, then there was no reason to for them to change.  You have to be comfortable in your own skin!  I don't really know how to express that properly, but I believe it is one of life's most dominate requirements. I guess the point is that if you don't like yourself, why would anyone else like you.

But!  The biggest return on knowing what kind of person you really are, lets you understand why people interact with you the way they do.  Now you understand how they view you, and you know how to get them to do what you need done.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1