Firearms You Regret Buying

tadbart

11 hours ago, Wishoot said:

Mine choked on everything.  Didn't matter what wight, profile, brand.  It was essentially free, so I used it for trade fodder.  

Ah, so you just got a bad one. Probly due to the buyout. Mine, purchased in early 90s is great and super accurate! 

12 hours ago, stevekozak said:

Ah, so you just got a bad one. Probly due to the buyout. Mine, purchased in early 90s is great and super accurate! 

It most certainly was a bad one.  I have friends and family that own them and have had no problems at all.  

My 10/22 is problem free and fills the role of semiauto .22 quite well.  

9 hours ago, Wishoot said:

It most certainly was a bad one.  I have friends and family that own them and have had no problems at all.  

My 10/22 is problem free and fills the role of semiauto .22 quite well.  

Yup, I have one of those as well. I like them both for different reasons. 

• Like 1

Not necessarily regret buying, but I have a few I am not sad they are gone.  I traded off my Russian Makarov for a Kahr CT9.  Now the Makarov is a cool gun with history, but the Kahr is a more practical carry piece and I shoot it fairly well.  Only thing I don't like is how expensive the single stack magazines are.  Just bought my first spare magazine.  They cost about as much as the vp9 magazines.

Not necessarily regret buying, but I have a few I am not sad they are gone.  I traded off my Russian Makarov for a Kahr CT9.  Now the Makarov is a cool gun with history, but the Kahr is a more practical carry piece and I shoot it fairly well.  Only thing I don't like is how expensive the single stack magazines are.  Just bought my first spare magazine.  They cost about as much as the vp9 magazines. But I am glad I made that trade.

Not necessarily regret buying, but I have a few I am not sad they are gone.  I traded off my Russian Makarov for a Kahr CT9.  Now the Makarov is a cool gun with history, but the Kahr is a more practical carry piece and I shoot it fairly well.  Only thing I don't like is how expensive the single stack magazines are.  Just bought my first spare magazine.  They cost about as much as the vp9 magazines. But I am glad I made that trade.

• 7 months later...

On 11/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, Wishoot said:

Mine choked on everything.  Didn't matter what wight, profile, brand.  It was essentially free, so I used it for trade fodder.  

Same here, worst 22 I have had, could not trade it away

• Like 1

I can say that I had a few- mostly semi-auto 22s. Like wishoot I had a Marlin Model 60 that if it was feeding reliably it was suffering from FTEs and if it wasn’t having FTEs it wasn’t feeding reliably. 

Owned two 10/22s and the first one suffered from the same problems the Marlin did and the second one never shot consistently (the latter had a HB). Would have a handful of shots dead-on and then would throw a flier. 

I’ve since sworn off buying semi-auto 22s and stick to my Savage, Rem, and Winchester bolt or pump-guns. 

Ruger SP101 in .22 

I was very excited the moment they announced the re-release of this pistol. I had very high hopes for this pistol. I like a revolver for .22 because it can shoot any load without issues of timing for semi-auto reliability. 

So naturally my revolver had a timing issue and shaved lead at the forcing cone. Accuracy was terrible. It didn’t keyhole, but it shot very inconsistent groups. So inconsistent in fact that it was difficult to make sight adjustments to center the groups up. It was all over the place. The machining quality was bad. Lots of rough machining marks even on exterior parts that were visible. The trigger was terrible. I estimate it at a 18lb DA pull. Some said that was because rimfire requires a hard primer strike for reliability, but my god it was almost unshootable in DA. And I don’t shoot revolvers from SA. 

I didn’t even feel it was worth a trip back to the factory. I sold it at a loss. 

Kel-Tec P3at

I bought this one years ago when they were very popular. The .32 was known to be a reliable, so I expected the .380 version to be as well.

Mine never went through a single magazine without a malfunction, no matter what ammo was used.

KT was less than helpful. Always had an excuse. “We recommend xyz ammo, try that” or “limpwristing” or “break in period”. I ended up sending it back in for warranty.

They sent it back with a note saying it was test fired with Remington UMC FMJ and was 100% reliable. BS. I went and bought a box of Remington UMC and the damn thing jammed on the second or third round.  That was when I noticed it was cracking magazines.

I sold it at a major loss after disclosing its issues. I guess they were willing to keep dealing with KT. I bought a S&W 442 and never looked back. I have been relying on that gun for almost 15 years. 

Remington 870 Express

I bought this POS at the grand opening of a Bass Pro Shops in my area. The idea was to have a 26” Remchoke barrel for hunting, and an 18” bead sight barrel and mag extension for HD. 

It had a timing issue.  The shell latch wasn’t timed correctly.  It would refuse to drop a shell from the tube 1/5 times I racked the slide  it also had a improperly cut chamber, and shells stuck in the chamber and were hard to eject.  

This was right after Freedom Group took over.  Remington Customer service sucked.  “We only recommend Remington brand ammo for reliability”.  They don’t service their own guns.  They authorized service centers with Remington armorers.  I ended up driving it two hours away to a gun shop.  About four weeks later I picked it back up.  Within the first few shots it malfunctioned.

I sold it at a loss after disclosing its issues. I bought a pre-Freedom group 1187 Premiere in 20g for clays and birds.  I bought a 870P for home defense.  So much for one shotgun to do it all.  

Buying a lemon is a major headache.  I have bought dozens of guns over the years and had relatively good luck except for these three.  

The only other issues I’ve ever had was a Springfield mil-spec 1911.  It wasn’t very reliable out of the box.  I tossed the mags it came with, bought Wilson 47D’s, and replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff + power and it’s run like a champ ever since.  

Edited by Collim1

Diamondback DB9. Wanted a pocket 9. Read some reviews that claimed they had resolved it's feeding issues. They haven't. Taurus builds world class pistols compared to DB. CM9 on the other hand is a great pocket 9 for not much more money.

Beretta 21A - No matter the ammo or the magazine, it malfunctions. I kept it to use as a bad example of an ultra-compact pistol when I taught CCW classes. 

SiG P-229 in 9mm - it was an early production Exeter pistol and it felt and performed like it was filled with granite from the Granite State. 

Glock 27 - I owned three different ones and never learned to care for any of them. I bought a Glock 26 and it seems like a much different pistol and I enjoy shooting it.

Glock 36 - I bought an early model and it had failure to feed and eject issues with factory ball ammo. The second problem was the propensity for the mag base plate to give out blood blisters on the hand.

3rd Gen Glock 22. Biggest POS ever to come out of the factory. Malfunction after malfunction from the get-go. Striker peening and magazine defects. Back to Glock. Couple hundred rounds later the slide cracked near the ejection port. Back to Glock. Eventually they just replaced the entire gun with a G22C.

Ruger P89DC. 100% reliable but as accurate as a CNN special report. Best 10@10 group I ever got with it from a sandbag was 6". POA/POI was like spinning a roulette wheel. Gun shop tried to prove me wrong and ended up proving me right. Had to go back in to Ruger. Came back with an entirely different top half.

Kel-Tec PF9. Unreliable and loved to randomly eject the mag. In fact you could just shake the gun and have the mag come out. No amount of fluff-n-buff was going to fix that lemon. Sent it in and got back a franken gun of old and new parts and pieces. Traded it in to the same dealer I bought it from.

• Like 1

I had an M&P9c that I didn't care for which I then traded for an M&P40c which I liked a little better but I realized that as long as I had my P2000sk 40 I wasn't ever going to use the M&P40c so I sold it. Now I have two P2000sk's in 40 and a Glock 27. I also have a subcompact Poly 80 and spare NIBx G27 upper that I need to assemble, probably in the next few weeks. That should cover all the subcompact 40s I'mm ever need.

12 hours ago, Bucky said:

Nothing really gives me any strong regret. Perhaps my LCP, as I don’t trust it one bit, but it didn’t cost that much. 

I think my brain was keeping me from remembering, but had a double - chained regret.

My Kimber SIS Pro. I saw it at a local shop. I liked the looks, I liked that it was more traditional 1911 than many Kimbers (IE internal extractor, no grip safety SIS BS). Well, the gun wouldn't run a 100% with premium defense ammo, after trying numerous kinds and a variety of different magazines. 230 grain SXTs fed the best, but would consistently eject the brass directly into my forehead. Also, those "cool looking" SIS cocking serrations were completely worthless (other than appearance). Even with dry hands, in a perfect environment, they were extremely difficult to use. The saving grace was the ledge style rear sight, which had to double as a cocking handle, since it was the only way I could rack the slide.

So, I traded the SIS in on a Smith and Wesson Pro series 1911 in 9mm. The timing of the grip safety trigger block function and firing pin safety was off, such that if you didn't have a perfect grip, you could pull the trigger and go click. In other words, the safety moved enough to unblock the trigger, but not fully move the FPS out of the way. Also, the slide stop notch was cut such that the slide locked back too short, directly behind the round. If you inserted a magazine and hit the slide stop lever, there wasn't enough momentum to strip the round from the magazine, regardless of which magazine I used. My friend had an identical gun, and his slide would lock much further back. I had sent the gun back to Smith explaining the issue, but all they did was "adjust the barrel fit". I sold that gun at a loss, and with full disclosure.

AMT Hardballer. Bought it, took it home and cleaned/lubed it, went to the range and first magazine, it locked up so tight that nobody could get it open. I sent it back to AMT with my receipt and they sent me a check. No explanation, no "sorry", but I did get a check for the full purchase amount.