What Gave You A Love For Reading Books If You Have?

DrB

For me, my mom took me and my sister to the library every week in the summer when we were off school.  Farm folks but mom made us read.  We had to get books to read each week.

For me I read every Hardy Boy book they had.  Mom also had us order some paperbacks from an order form some company that the school had send us.  I loved getting those paperbacks.  Twice each summer when the list came we could look over the list and order two each.  I carried those paperbacks in my back pocket and would read under the shade of a tree when my chores were done. 

The memories of the shade of a tree, the big blue sky with a few cotton clouds overhead and that paperback book remains with me always as a young boy.

In High School in English Class we read Animal Farm and 1984 By George Orwell.  Also Edgar Allen Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart and the Pit and the Pendulum come to mind for a few.

Many more...  I thank my Mom and my English teachers for giving me the love of books.  How about you?

Dave.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Like you, I inhaled every Hardy Boys book I could get my hands on, along with Tom Swift.

I even read my sister's Nancy Drew books.

As I grew, so did my reading.  I went to White Fang and other Jack London adventures to C.S. Forrester and then -- I found science fiction.

I still read, on average, two fiction books a week.

My shelves look like a used book store.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My siblings and I agree that our mutual love of reading was hugely influenced by the set of World Book Encyclopedia always within easy reach. Bored? We grabbed one of those encyclopedias and went “exploring”.

Our parents also made the annual summer reading program at the public library a mandatory deal... not that we needed our arms twisted, as we all loved to read, and getting a certificate after reading 10 books of our choice (for me, American history and biography) was cool.

Our Dad, a WWII Navy veteran, had many books on seapower and military history. Those books heavily influenced my career choice

• Like 5

Just now, DrB said:

For me, my mom took me and my sister to the library every week in the summer when we were off school.  Farm folks but mom made us read.  We had to get books to read each week.

For me I read every Hardy Boy book they had.  Mom also had us order some paperbacks from an order form some company that the school had send us.  I loved getting those paperbacks.  Twice each summer when the list came we could look over the list and order two each.  I carried those paperbacks in my back pocket and would read under the shade of a tree when my chores were done. 

The memories of the shade of a tree, the big blue sky with a few cotton clouds overhead and that paperback book remains with me always as a young boy.

In High School in English Class we read Animal Farm and 1984 By George Orwell.  Also Edgar Allen Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart and the Pit and the Pendulum come to mind for a few.

Many more...  I thank my Mom and my English teachers for giving me the love of books.  How about you?

Dave.

I have always been comfortable by myself.  As I learned a little about my Crystal Radio by playing with it and it's various elements, I wanted to know more.

I can't think of anyone that got me into reading, other than I needed to read to get electronics information.  I did develop an appreciation for books though.  Along with proper treatment of books, even cheap books.

We lived about 3 blocks from the college and my grade school was a laboratory school in the middle of the campus.  So I was familiar with the college and their library.  The library obviously supported their technical degree students, so it wasn't too bad for content.

I was too young to check out technical reference books, so I brought a notebook with me and copied technical texts and descriptions in my notebook for later reference. I spent most of my years by myself, working with electronics and reading.  Later I discovered girls, but now I only had three things on my mind.

The librarians got used to me spending hours alone in the library, and they tried to help me with whatever I was trying to find.  I was friends with most of the college professors since they were my neighbors and I would do  odd jobs for them for spending money.  My sisters and I used to be called to proof read many grade school texts the professors would write.  We got along well with them.

I spent my Summers there.  Actually, I spend my grade school years there.  I liked Science Fiction too.  So I read every book they had in that section of the library.

MY greatest revelation came when I went to the librarian and asked what they had that was "like" science fiction.  I still remember the young girl looking puzzled and saying, "Well, I think Greek Fairy Tales are like science fiction".

I dove into the books on Greek fairy tales with a vengeance.  Who knew that a grade school kid could get a masterful education on sex from "fairy tales".

I spend every cent that was left from electronics parts on paperback science fiction novels.  Thanks to my extensive reading of electrical technical books, I was a pretty good speed reader too.  I finally had to quit paperback sci fi books as I could finish one in two days damn near non-stop. 

I was a voracious reader.  I still am and the better stories I send to my Grand daughter in college.  She says her tastes and mine are alike.  I'm flattered.

Today I split my time on the forum and reading.  I finally got to where I would sing for myself while reading a novel.  I am still amazed that when I do that, I am consciously aware of the absolute separation of singing with the words and reading a story yet neither conflict with the other. 

I mean I can sing the song with the words, read the story and stay with the plot, while thinking to my self, just how odd it is that I'm doing these things and they don't interact in any way.  Humans are an amazing animal!  It feels like I'm on the outside of my mind looking in at what I'm doing.

What's interesting to me is that while driving I sing for myself to control and isolate my emotions from the other driver's antics.  EXCEPT, when I have to pay all my attention to the road, I mistake the words in the song, then when the incident is over, I am back to the proper words. 

My wife found that listening to me she could tell when my concentration was shifting back to my driving, then back to my distractions.

I got off on a tangent, but these things are fascinating to me so I think about them.

Most of my life I have had problems remembering things, where I put that wrench, where my keys are, etc.  I would put something down and not remember anything about it.

Now after the reading and simultaneous singing, My memory is getting noticeably better all the time.  My memory today is leagues above any previous time in my life.

Another fascinating thing I dwell on.

Sorry for the wandering!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, tous said:

Like you, I inhaled every Hardy Boys book I could get my hands on, along with Tom Swift.

I even read my sister's Navy Drew books.

As I grew, so did my reading.  I went to White Fang and other Jack London adventures to C.S. Forrester and then -- I found science fiction.

I still read, on average, two fiction books a week.

My shelves look like a used book store.

Yes.  I am always reading while splitting my time with this forum.

I am trying to come to grips with throwing away old books.  My son pointed out that they are all in digital format on the Internet now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Yes.  I am always reading while splitting my time with this forum.

I am trying to come to grips with throwing away old books.  My son pointed out that they are all in digital format on the Internet now.

It is not the same as holding paper in your hands.

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We had a Bookmobile that came to our little town during the summer, and also visited our school during the school year. Had a teacher in grade school that read Little House on the Prairie, and other books to us. She would read about 20 minutes a day, or maybe a chapter or 2.  Was my favorite part of the school day besides recess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

We had a Bookmobile that came to our little town during the summer, and also visited our school during the school year. Had a teacher in grade school that read Little House on the Prairie, and other books to us. She would read about 20 minutes a day, or maybe a chapter or 2.  Was my favorite part of the school day besides recess.

We had a bookmobile also that stopped in the school parking lot during the summer.  I forgot about that.  Thanks..

Dave..

• Like 3

Wow.  Great topic.  I average about 30 books a year.  Mostly history (surprise!) and mostly 20th century.  It helps if you don't have a TV.  Last time i counted i had about 1000 physical books in the house...and yes, they are organized.   I have some digital books as well.   Just for fun i have over 200 book reviews on Amazon.

I love reading.  It's a refuge.  After a long day at the office...a little quiet time with a dram of whiskey or a cup of black coffee is a joy in life.    

Where did it start?  Not sure.  Parents always enjoyed giving books at birthdays and Christmas.   If i wanted a new book mom would often buy it for me.   Reading just came naturally.   It didn't matter what subject.  History was good.  Science fiction was fine.  Read lots of that in high school.

History happened when i read a book about Commandos in WWII about the 3rd grade.  After that...i realized there were many things worth reading about.

Over the years I've been published in magazines and newspapers.  In college i majored in journalism and history (ba/bs).    Not my primary area of work, i freelance.

I read three of four newspapers a day, lots of technical reading, books and magazines in the evening.  It starts when i wake up...and ends when my eyes close.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DrB said:

Dave.

That's true. During my wood working days I built a few copies of Stickley book cases for my wife,  She reads incessantly.  Now she has a couple of Kindles, and when I asked her about getting rid of the  bookcases full of books, she says the same thing about the feel of them.  So I guess they are staying.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DrB said:

Dave.

Indeed.

Few things are as comforting as the feel and smell of a book, the process of turning pages, marking a spot with a piece of old cardboard.

Give me paper or give me death.

Edited by tous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My love for reading was inborn. I read comic books when I was a kid, and probably had every issue of Superman from about 1955 to 1960 but I didn't take very good care of them and when they got too raggedy I threw them away. I also liked reading the comics in the newspaper (Little Abner among others) and I liked the Donald Duck comics with the adventures of Hughie, Dewey, and Louie. There were also some books at home that my parents got for me, including a beautiful illustrated edition of Gulliver's travels.

Then, the summer I was in the fifth grade, I went to the library and picked out books with titles I thought were cool.  Titles like White Fang, The Call of the wild, The Jungle Book, and The Count of Monte Christo. A year later when I was about 12, I found a book that I though was something that might have some dirty parts in it, so I secretly read it at home and hid it under the mattress. The name of the book was "Atlas Shrugged" and when my dad found out I was reading it, he encouraged me to do so and I figured out that it didn't have any dirty parts in it but I liked it any way. Not long after that I read 1984.

All my life I've been a compulsive reader and I continue to read every night before I go to sleep and it helps me to go to sleep. I enjoy popular fiction by James Patterson, Dean Koontz, David Baldacci, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Robert B Parker, and Jeffrey Deaver. I also like old west books and have read all of Louis L'Amour and Larry McMurty's books and I've also read some science fiction books and read a few written by Richard Matheson, who I met once when living in los Angeles and happened to be dating his daughter.

Oh, and I also like historical fiction and have read all of Colleen McCullough's books on the Roman Republic, and several books by Conn Iggulden about Gengis Kahn and Panther in the Sky by James Alexander Thom, based on the life of Tecumseh.                  

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tous said:

Indeed.

Few thngs are as comforting as the feel and smell of a book, the process of turning pages, marking a stop with a piece of old cardboard.

Old books...the smell and feel of old books.

Some of mine date to the 1890s...quite a few 1st editions from the war years (WWI)...and the war part two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"When evening has come, I return to my house and go into my study. At the door I take off my clothes of the day, covered with mud and mire, and I put on my regal and courtly garments; and decently reclothed, I enter the ancient courts of ancient men, where, received by them lovingly,

I feed on the food that alone is mine and that I was born for. There I am not ashamed to speak with them and to ask them the reason for their actions; and they in their humanity reply to me.

And for the space of four hours I feel no boredom, I forget every pain, I do not fear poverty, death does not frighten me. I deliver myself entirely to them."

Niccolò Machiavelli

Edited by Historian
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, tous said:

Indeed.

Few things are as comforting as the feel and smell of a book, the process of turning pages, marking a spot with a piece of old cardboard.

I love both formats for different reasons.  I travel a lot for work (read that as waiting in airports).  The Kindle is great for this.  But paper still rules at home.  There are a number of books I’ve considered good enough to have in both formats: I’ve read many times “One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich” and “With the Old Breed” by Eugene Sledge.  Two of my favorites.  The former is real quick and I’ve read it several times purposefully when having a bad day full of First World Problems, which are then cured.

I was also started early in grade school on the Hardy Boys.  Discovered Lord of the Rings in 6th grade and that REALLY made me take off in reading.

Love history; some of the best days in elementary school were when my school had the annual book fair when there was tons of stuff to buy.  In terms of when this was, I’m 52 so there wasn’t any electronics at play...I had to work HARD in our little library to find out stuff like how to make a crossbow with a leaf spring...??

• Like 4

Huh!  I thought I posted this but I can't find it:

“If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.” "Epitaph" from Smart Set (December 1921) H.L. Mencken

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChuckUles said:

“With the Old Breed” by Eugene Sledge.  Two of my favorites.  The former is real quick and I’ve read it several times purposefully when having a bad day full of First World Problems, which are then cured.

Sledgehammer and i attended the same school.  Many years apart.

One hell of a fine read is With the Old Breed.   Right there with Helmet for My Pillow.

• Like 3

I remember when I was a Sophomore in High School, Mr. Siller assigned me "Andersonville" to read i was not pleased  at first because it was such a big book.  I started reading it on the weekend  and my parents had to call me away to do my chores on the farm because I was stuck like glue to it. Finished it up on Sunday.  We had two weeks to finish our books but I was done.  Wish I could thank him for that book that I thought I would hate.

Dave.

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3

Mom signed me up for the Weekly Reader Book Club when I was about 9 years old.  In the days before cable TV, internet and video games I spent many a rainy day on the couch with one of those books, and many more evenings in bed past bed time reading.  I also discovered the county bookmobile had Henry and Ribsy books, the entire series.  I even read the World Book Encyclopedia my aunt had when she was watching me while mom worked.  I still read today and I prefer books over computers and Kindles as books don't require batteries. 

• Like 6