Two weeks from today...

Zonny

18 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Hopefully that Yellow Eye has already seen a hot grill and some home made tartar sauce. 

Nope. Processed last night in Seward and now in the freezer at the cabin in Kenai. BTW. The smoke was horrific driving into Sterling. 

Edited by Zonny

2 hours ago, Zonny said:

Nope. Processed last night in Seward and now in the freezer at the cabin in Kenai. BTW. The smoke was horrific driving into Sterling. 

Yeah '14 and '15 were bad fire years on the Kenai. The past 3 not so bad. I'm thinking this fire might jump the highway if the winds don't change. As long as it stays away from homes I'm o.k. with it. The moose hunting will be great in a few years. I hope it doesn't mess with your plans. Full tank of gas, water and treats in the car. Think about using Skilak Loop Rd as an alternate route.

Yes. Thanks for the reminders to be prepared. Kinda concerned about not getting back to Anchorage for flight day. Heard  that it was closed for four hours a couple of days ago due to poor visibility. I guess the only option then would be to head back here and fly from Kenai. Heard that Skilac route was closed.  Not sure where it is either. 

If you have inside scoop and hear of any closures or anything else I should know about, please let me know. Not real sure as to the resources for this kind of info. 

Edited by Zonny

4 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Well it's closed now. Looks like you will be heading to Homer, Kenai, or out north for any further adventures. Fire is at 40,000 acres and growing.

No need to head that way until return flight home on Sat. Fished out of Homer yesterday and doing Kasilof drift boat tomorrow. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, Zonny said:

Look what I caught!  I’ve always wanted one! Guide said it’s probably about 100 years old.  You’re limited to only one for that reason. 92318272-0CA2-4432-B87C-E8E33D74823B.thumb.jpeg.1048ef3618df3600474719321937df19.jpeg

Zonny, what in the world is that fish?  How much did it weigh.

Nice catch. 

3 hours ago, norton said:

Zonny, what in the world is that fish?  How much did it weigh.

Nice catch. 

It’s a Yellow Eyed Rock Fish. Not sure if the weight. I know I struggled to hold it for the pic. 

There was another caught by a guy on the boat with us, slightly bigger. 

Edited by Zonny

Trust me. I’m a little worried. I have flexibility to stay. My travel companion, not so much. 

Cant say as I don’t feel right at home here. Even bought XtraTufs this trip. I fit  right in. :)

BTW. We have three boxes of fish coming home this trip. ? ? ? 

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 1

I think if they told me it was 100 years old,  I'd have to let it go.  Anything that old (how old do they live?) deserves respect.

Bad juju there, I think.

(I'd sushi those 3 - 4 year olds right up,  while they're still on the line, though.)

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I think if they told me it was 100 years old,  I'd have to let it go.  Anything that old (how old do they live?) deserves respect.

Bad juju there, I think.

(I'd sushi those 3 - 4 year olds right up,  while they're still on the line, though.)

There have been efforts to limit the numbers of yellow eye taken. They hang out around under water structure in small numbers. Very territorial. Wipe them out from an area and it takes forever for them to reestablish.