hersey and cocoa lol

ASH

51 minutes ago, Zonny said:

All fun and games until that child sucks that powder into his lungs. 

As a mother, I found this quite disturbing. Let the boy dip his wet finger for a taste, yes. Not an entire spoonful. 

"...a study involving 312,944 people in nine European countries revealed that there was no safe level of particulates and that for every increase of 10 μg/m3 in PM10, the lung cancer rate rose 22%. The smaller PM2.5 were particularly deadly, with a 36% increase in lung cancer per 10 μg/m3 as it can penetrate deeper into the lungs.[9] Worldwide exposure to PM2.5 contributed to 4.1 million deaths from heart disease and stroke, lung cancer, chronic lung disease, and respiratory infections in 2016. [10] Overall, ambient particulate matter ranks as the sixth leading risk factor for premature death globally. [11] …"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particulates

In particular, I am surprised that the recent "playing" with very fine colored powders thrown into the air and people breathing them in, hasn't raised some concerns. 

The longer the particulates stay suspended in the air, the finer they are, and the finer they are the more dangerous they are to your lungs.

The reason I'm sensitive about this, is that when I got into woodworking I looked into dust filters.  When I got into the specifics of dust filters, I learned that in woodworking the particulates would be a problem because of the quantity of ~10 Micron type particles.  To add to the problem, many hardwoods are high on the toxicity scale in addition to the dust problem.  Too many to list here.

"https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/.  

I found I had to purchase a dust filter and then retrofit it with better filtration.  It's little different than smoking.

What was fascinating is that by using very early woodworking tools, planes, cabinet scrapers, card scrapers, etc., they didn't produce the fine dust like modern sanding and cutting systems, and in many cases they did finer work.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1