Does anybody like autoplay?

gwalchmai

Firefox updated itself yesterday and took the liberty of reinstating autoplay for videos. So now when I browse the Facebook I get to see all that crap that so many folks think is clever.

I don't understand why anyone would want to autoplay videos on websites, but why in the world would a reputable developer reset his customer's preferences about such a thing during an update?

Why?

• Like 2

That is one of the reasons I quit using Facebook and blocked it from all of my computers.

I was covering a horse show in East Texas at a rural location without wifi so I had to use a hotspot to allow my customers to view proofs of their jumping pictures. I guess one of the kids logged onto Facebook on one of the computers that I set up for proofs. Later that day I got an alert that I had used all of my allotted bandwidth and that an addition 1gb would be added to my account. within an hour I got another message worded the same. By the time I finished shooting for the day, I had racked up considerable extra charges for the added bandwidth. It was all because Facebook defaults to auto play unless you specifically tell it not to. They do this to artificially inflate their number of views to generate revenue for them at their users expense.

That day I blocked FB from all of my computers, shut off auto play on their piece of crap site and stopped logging on for any reason.

So to answer your question. No, I do not like autoplay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KWalrad said:

Daddy doesn't do Facebook. Do I look like a fourteen year old girl to you?

Don't answer that 

Facebook is for old people now.

If you are too old for Facebook, you must be ANCIENT.

tick.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any site that doesn't carry the expectation of autoplay a video that uses autoplay is crossing a moral line.

I'm not kidding.

The people doing this can't hide behind naivety any more.  They KNOW it will be problematic for people.  People browsing the web next to a sleeping person, people who have devices that aren't powerful enough to handle the video...  Heck, if you are on a metered connection than it can cost you actual money

The fact that these are small grievances doesn't change the fact that they are done knowingly.

Small wrongs done deliberately are still evil.  Now magnify it times millions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KWalrad said:

Daddy doesn't do Facebook. Do I look like a fourteen year old girl to you?

Don't answer that 

I won't say, but R Kelly thinks you look hot.

8 hours ago, JTMac said:

Facebook is for old people now.

If you are too old for Facebook, you must be ANCIENT.

tick.jpg

You know I genuinely thought he was dead before I saw him in this role.

I never had facebook autoplay anything but Fox and the other stupid news sites with their idiotic "videos" are another story.  Who wants a picure/text montage and some arbitrary speed?  Put the **** on the page and let me read it at my own pace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Firefox updated itself yesterday and took the liberty of reinstating autoplay for videos. So now when I browse the Facebook I get to see all that crap that so many folks think is clever.
I don't understand why anyone would want to autoplay videos on websites, but why in the world would a reputable developer reset his customer's preferences about such a thing during an update?
Why?

Were there any other preferences reset? Maybe the preferences bucket was just emptied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk