Drew my weapon TWICE on Saturday

Glock 17. Walking the neighborhood with the GF and our 2 dogs. Back street, small cabin inhabited by a couple of losers that have a mixed breed dog. Big sumbitch with a curly tail like a pig. Looks like part Chesapeake and Hog. Doesn't bother our dogs, but lunges towards me with snarled lips. Already had my hand on the 17 so out it comes. Pointed at Fido's noggin. I have bear sprayed this dog in the past. It backed up still snarling. I eased on down the road and put the Glock away. Further down the same street we have some dude living in a tiny cabin (living off the gvt for sure) He has a mixed breed male dog that I have also bear sprayed. Twice. In the past it has attacked the GF's dog and I put the boots to it big time. (GF wasn't with me on that occasion) No gun that time or I would have hosed it. Well this time her and I have both our dogs. They are about 40 yards ahead of us enjoying the walk. Dude with the aggressive mutt has been real good about keeping it on a run after the 2 bear spray events and the time I kicked the **** out of it. He was there to witness the **** kicking. Well the mutt hauls ass off the property and instantly tears into GF's dog. It gets hectic fast. GF is ahead of me, 3 dogs in a tangle. Mine isn't part of the fight though, just circling the mayhem. I pull the 17 again keeping it pointed at the ground, finger along the slide. Can't shoot from here with the GF in front of me and the mess of dogs. We both run (fast as old people can go) up to the dog fight. Hers is submissive and getting the **** bit out of it. Just as I get close enough where I think I can plug the mutt safely, dude comes running out and prones himself on top of his mutt and locks it in a choke hold. Lots of yelling by the GF and she goes to booting the mutt in the ribs HARD several times. Dude is yelling at her to stop, then looks towards me and spots the Glock in my hand. He knows from the previous events and my conversations with him that I wasn't planning on giving that dog another chance. He starts asking me to 'go' so he can handle his dog. I said not a word to him. I walked away keeping an eye on him and the dog hoping it would squirm away and come towards me. No more chances. WTF is it with people and their aggressive dogs? It's been a while since I hosed one, but kind of thinking maybe it should happen again, soon.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tadbart said:

I can't stand loose aggressive dogs, or their owners. Might do well to fog the owner with bear spray too, before bullets fly.

The owner is a weird sumbitch. Lives alone. No friends. No drivers license due to felony DUI's. Never works although he must only be in his 40's and looks fit. He cuts and hauls his own firewood. Should have a job but doesn't.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

The owner is a weird sumbitch. Lives alone. No friends. No drivers license due to felony DUI's. Never works although he must only be in his 40's and looks fit. He cuts and hauls his own firewood. Should have a job but doesn't.

:crazy:

you got large omnivores and scavengers. on second thought, choot both of those feral critters and haul em out for the bears. :shooting-two-guns:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tadbart said:

:crazy:

you got large omnivores and scavengers. on second thought, choot both of those feral critters and haul em out for the bears. :shooting-two-guns:

Another few weeks and the 17 will stay in the truck on the magnet mount. I'll be hauling a Redhawk on my hip when I go outdoors. Either the .44 magnum, .45 LC or my latest, the Toklat in Four Fifty (don't mess with me) Four

• Thanks 1

Damn, son. I typically outweigh my local bears by at least 50 pounds. But seeing those well-fed bruins at Katmai changed my perspective. I came back and bought a S+W .460 Magnum.

Line it up right, and I bet you can get dog and douchebag with a single round.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Glock 17. Walking the neighborhood with the GF and our 2 dogs. Back street, small cabin inhabited by a couple of losers that have a mixed breed dog. Big sumbitch with a curly tail like a pig. Looks like part Chesapeake and Hog. Doesn't bother our dogs, but lunges towards me with snarled lips. Already had my hand on the 17 so out it comes. Pointed at Fido's noggin. I have bear sprayed this dog in the past. It backed up still snarling. I eased on down the road and put the Glock away. Further down the same street we have some dude living in a tiny cabin (living off the gvt for sure) He has a mixed breed male dog that I have also bear sprayed. Twice. In the past it has attacked the GF's dog and I put the boots to it big time. (GF wasn't with me on that occasion) No gun that time or I would have hosed it. Well this time her and I have both our dogs. They are about 40 yards ahead of us enjoying the walk. Dude with the aggressive mutt has been real good about keeping it on a run after the 2 bear spray events and the time I kicked the **** out of it. He was there to witness the **** kicking. Well the mutt hauls ass off the property and instantly tears into GF's dog. It gets hectic fast. GF is ahead of me, 3 dogs in a tangle. Mine isn't part of the fight though, just circling the mayhem. I pull the 17 again keeping it pointed at the ground, finger along the slide. Can't shoot from here with the GF in front of me and the mess of dogs. We both run (fast as old people can go) up to the dog fight. Hers is submissive and getting the **** bit out of it. Just as I get close enough where I think I can plug the mutt safely, dude comes running out and prones himself on top of his mutt and locks it in a choke hold. Lots of yelling by the GF and she goes to booting the mutt in the ribs HARD several times. Dude is yelling at her to stop, then looks towards me and spots the Glock in my hand. He knows from the previous events and my conversations with him that I wasn't planning on giving that dog another chance. He starts asking me to 'go' so he can handle his dog. I said not a word to him. I walked away keeping an eye on him and the dog hoping it would squirm away and come towards me. No more chances. WTF is it with people and their aggressive dogs? It's been a while since I hosed one, but kind of thinking maybe it should happen again, soon.

Why aren't you reporting these incidences to the police and/or animal control? 

It could become very expensive to you.   

Edited by Duluth
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Were you in fear for your or the "GF's" life? If not, you did the $4,000 wave twice. Dog's don't matter. 

Sometimes the forces of chaos converge unpredictability in time and space.....the results are also unpredictable with outcomes that combine various elements of excitement and tragedy. You were repaired to moderate the outcome. It is fortunate the tour GF was not hurt, but how bad was her Dog injured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stand people who don't provide a fence for their dogs.  My GSD is behind a fence, both for his protection, and the protection of others.  The rat terrier will raise holy hell, and lives in the house.  He could squeeze through a fence and that is for his protection.  I have almost shot many a dog, that was aggressive and left loose without a barrier to keep it in check.  The most worrisome, was when I was engaged to my wife, and we decided to take a walk by the lake.  We found a path, and soon found out it was private and turned to leave.  Apparently, the owner raised hybrid Timber Wolves that they allowed to run free.  If you have ever been face to face with a timber wolf, they are HUGE.  I put my future wife behind me, pulled out my issued .40 and yelled at it, praying the all 12 rounds would do the job.  Between me yelling at it, and the owner yelling at it, the wolf decided it had other things to do, thankfully.  That damn thing was so tall and large it could have filled up the back of a regular sized pick up easily.

57 minutes ago, Frank_Drebin said:

You said you pointed your gun at the first dog and it backed down. Why would a dog back down from a stranger's gun or know whether that gun is even pointed at it?

Perhaps it recalled the time he pointed bear spray at it and remembered it did not enjoy it too much.  I'd imagine that the pointing of spray and pointing of a pistol look much the same to a dog.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Duluth said:

Why aren't you reporting these incidences to the police and/or animal control? 

It could become very expensive to you.   

There is no animal control in the Borough. If I call the Troopers they will do less than nothing. Several years ago my grand daughter was bit in the face by a dog on her way to the bus stop. I called the Troopers and wanted them to come out and make sure the dog had vaccinations. They refused until I informed them I was headed to the dogs residence and planned to shoot it. Trooper responded then.

My dog is on a leash when I walk it to get his dumbass out of the road when a car comes and to keep him from other dogs.  My dog is not at all aggressive but I don't want him getting into it with dogs that are.  If you had your dogs closer you could have plugged the mutt while it was enroute.

2 hours ago, TBO said:

There's still civil liability.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Good point. I haven’t had a dog in years, but my last, a rottie, was trained so well it was almost scary. I kept him on a leash because the law required it, but he sure didn’t need one. I could tell him to sit and throw any food you name down and he wouldn’t budge. Tell him heel and he was nailed to my hip, no matter what was going on.

Never worried about civil liability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

Good point. I haven’t had a dog in years, but my last, a rottie, was trained so well it was almost scary. I kept him on a leash because the law required it, but he sure didn’t need one. I could tell him to sit and throw any food you name down and he wouldn’t budge. Tell him heel and he was nailed to my hip, no matter what was going on.

Never worried about civil liability.

I have always said that I love critters.  But the most lovable of all I have had contact with have been two 80 lb. Rotties owned by my neighbors.  The dog would come over to visit (I told them that if they come they had to bring the dog) and we would cuddle all the time they were at my home.  they are the most lovable dogs.  Rotties are the best in the world in my estimation.  I don't have one because I didn't like the idea of shoveling poop from my yard frequently.  I never had a problem with attitude with them.

My Yorkie was my closest companion but it's a good thing they are so small with their determination to dominate everyone and everything.  My vet said he sure is "independent".  I agreed and told him that I raised my dog the same way I raised my kids.

• Like 2