Anyones Commute to Work Look Like This?

DrB

I worked in NC's RTP Park, in it's heyday.

I lived six miles from work.  I would always leave very very early,  to try to miss as much traffic as possible.

I once got to work (six miles, now) and realized that I had left something at home that I absolutely had to have.

I drove home, got it, and drove back.

I didn't get back to work until way after lunch.

That's 99% of the reason I don't live there any more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

I lived six miles from work.  I would always leave very very early,  to try to miss as much traffic as possible.

I once got to work (six miles, now) and realized that I had left something at home that I absolutely had to have.

You just needed a fast car my man.  See above. Problem solved..

Dave.

1 minute ago, DrB said:

You just needed a fast car my man.  See above. Problem solved..

Nearby, Richard Petty (old and long retired) made the news because he tagged some old lady's rear bumper and sent her spinning off into the ditch.

He said, "I'm so sorry.  It just happened. I'm sorry."

That's what RTP traffic does to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

Nearby, Richard Petty (old and long retired) made the news because he tagged some old lady's rear bumper and sent her spinning off into the ditch.

He said, "I'm so sorry.  It just happened. I'm sorry."

That's what RTP traffic does to you.

Well he knows how it's done. Get with the program....

I drove a roundy-round car.  Once.

There was a magnificent dregs-of-society bar up the road.  I knew the owners.  (The old man liked me.  The son was an *******).

Their junky car was junk,  but it had the name on it and they raced it at the local place every week.

They lost their driver.  And I volunteered.  They wanted their name out there and I was stupid enough to do it.

I showed up saturday,  and they actually let me do it on an empty track. (I raced moto-x as a kid)

(In this place,  you had to do, like, three beginner-beginner races.  And then three beginner races.  And then you were allowed to get killed by the pros.)

They all said, "OK.  Whatever.  Be here tomorrow.

Then I showed up, early, on Sunday, and they found someone else and told me to go away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I lived in north Houston and worked in south Houston.

I could get off work at 5:00,  drive home,  and get home at 7:30.

Or,  get off work at 5:00,  go to the corner bar until 7:00,  and get home at 7:30.

I'll take Option #2 for $300 Alex.

57 minutes ago, Duluth said:

I've been lucky. I've never had a job more than 3 miles from where I've lived. 

Wow!  My furthest commute was from Prescott Valley, AZ to Phoenix.  75 miles one way.  Did that for nearly 6 years.  Current commute is 14 miles one way.  I'd love to have a job that I could walk or bike to.

• Like 2

My commute was about 25 miles one way.  The kicker was that it took me through Minneapolis and then through St. Paul, so I fought two rush hour stupids.  I finally started for work at 5:30 AM, and it took about 1 + hours on good days.  I left work at 4PM to just lead the evening rush hour for home.  Usually managed 1 1/2 for good days.  I drove this for about 30 years.  I was never first to home and work, but I always made it.

MY worst one way trip was during a blizzard with 10 inches of snow on the ground right after I left work.  I got dark very early so it was touch and go with the visibility.  That evening took me 5 hours.  I had a 4X4 but I couldn't go faster than those in front of me.  

I watched many cars idling and creeping along so slowly that their alternator couldn't keep up with the headlights, the heater, and the engine load at low RPM's, and they slowly lost power and stalled.  I was thankful that I have changed the alternator on all my vehicles to Chrysler 115 Amp units, so I could handle the   high power transmitter I used in the trucks.  I ran 300 Watts mobile to talk with my wife at home on VHF.  So when others were losing power at idle, I was actually charging well.

• Like 1

I used to live at the top of the grapevine (Hwy 99) outside of Los Angeles and I had to commute to the oilfields just west of Bakersfield where I had a job as an oilfield electrician .  I lived about 10-15 miles from Highway 99 and it was a time of the year when what they called the tule fog along 99 was so bad visibility was only about 3 feet in front of you. Traffic was stop and go and it was easy to plow into the back end of a big rig that might be stopped.

To avoid driving 99 I would take Highway 95 to 166 to the Maricopa Highway and then take back roads to the job. It was about a 30 mile detour and it snowed at the elevation where I lived and the mountain roads were icy. I had to get up at 0-dark-hundred to get to the job at seven. After a couple of months I was able to quit the job because my wife got a job as a barmaid. eventually we moved to L.A. where she got a job at a cabinet shop and I got a job with general contractor where I had to drive all over the city. I liked living in the mountains a lot better than I liked living in the city, but you have to go where the work is.

I've only had one job where I was able to ride a bicycle to work, and that was when I worked for a gunsmith doing counter sales about 10 blocks from where I lived.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 9:12 PM, Huaco Kid said:

It's only gotten worse. I'm retired now, I don't miss it at all.