Old Pictures

Eric

Longhaired Lawman

While attempting to serve a warrant on horse thief Andy Cooper in Holbrook, Arizona Territory, Apache County Sheriff Commodore Perry Owens got in a shoot-out during which he killed three outlaws—Cooper, along with brothers Samuel Blevins and John Blevins—and wounded a fourth Blevins brother, John.

Less than a year later, in 1888, Emma Albright photographed the longhaired lawman in Albuquerque, New Mexico Territory.

82d40a44a0e13fab.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Texas Rangers. *The Hunters. :merica:

The first truly national and state police agency in America, the Texas Rangers date to the days of the Texas Republic, before its entry into the United States.

The Frontier Battalion consisted of six Texas Ranger companies, organized in 1874, and this excellent cabinet card shows Company F, circa 1885.

15b10b9bd2bb0b17.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New Mexico Territory Rustlers. *The Hunted~

These outlaw cowboys are identified only as “New Mexico Rustlers” on this circa 1880 cabinet card. Historians suspect the man standing could be John Kinney, who led a gang of horse thieves and cattle rustlers in New Mexico Territory during the 1870s-80s.

192b27ac182295dd.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Longhaired Lawman

While attempting to serve a warrant on horse thief Andy Cooper in Holbrook, Arizona Territory, Apache County Sheriff Commodore Perry Owens got in a shoot-out during which he killed three outlaws—Cooper, along with brothers Samuel Blevins and John Blevins—and wounded a fourth Blevins brother, John.

Less than a year later, in 1888, Emma Albright photographed the longhaired lawman in Albuquerque, New Mexico Territory.

82d40a44a0e13fab.png

You can't have too much ammunition.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, pipedreams said:

dbde2e470e0c0ac1.png

Went to a small "Soda Shop" in a small rural town long ago, and for soft drinks they sold what they had always sold.  We had our choice of Lemon or Lime Phosphates.

Place had those Sweetheart wire chairs.  Town was also "Dry".  It was a throwback in history.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 1:57 AM, NPTim said:

6660CB9B-CF9D-44DC-9A97-A117740BBB16.jpeg

For a short time in 1958 I served on a Net Tender in Key West, Fla.  The Tender stayed in port and would go into the harbor inlet to open the Submarine Net to allow normal shipping to enter the harbor.  Then they would close the net after the ship passed through.

We had nothing to do since the Harbor Nets were long gone.  We just were there.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:07 PM, pipedreams said:

66831785de23c798.jpg

I loved that Mustang style so much (64 1/2 through 68), that I changed cars so often (I was re-building cars so they were cheap) my insurance company cancelled my insurance just so they could start over get up to date on what I was currently driving.

• Like 4