Old Pictures

Eric

4 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Western Electric is long gone, and true rotary phones (not touch tone with a dial) are little more than memories and set dressing for movies and TV shows, but Old Ironsides is still afloat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a rotary with an additional audio amplification for hard of hearing users.  It's Ma Bell.  I got it years ago for my Mother In Law when she had trouble hearing on the phone.  To the dump, to the dump, ta da.

The Origins of Memorial Day (Decoration Day)  General Orders, No. 11, Headquarters, Grand Army of the Republic, Washington, D.C. 5 May 1868, proclaims ...

"The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country...." 

Arlington, Virginia, 30 May. Congressman James A. Garfield (later to become President) is first speaker at ceremony at National Cemetery at Arlington, Virginia. First official observance of Memorial Day.

https://history.army.mil/html/reference/holidays/m...

Screenshot_2019-05-31 Gab.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pilots of the 4th Fighter Group pose beside one of their P-51Bs, England, 1944. Note the Chinese-American pilot among them.  All ethnicities and races were integrated into our fighting forces except for blacks and, partially, Japanese-Americans.  Aside from the well-known segregated J-A 442nd Regimental Combat Team, Japanese-Americans served unsegregated in the Military Intelligence Service, the WACs, as commandos with Merrill's Marauders, and in the AAF.  Among the latter were Seijin Ginoza, who became a POW after his B-17 was shot down over Vienna, and Ben Kuroki, who flew 35 missions over Europe as a flight engineer and top turret gunner in a B-17, then went on to fly 28 missions as ditto on a B-29 over Japan.

bz-5ceadb6e3a642.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pretty risqué for the 50's.

Speaking for myself at the time as a 12 y.o. moralist, aficionado of beautiful women and a counter critic, I hereby declare that this woman is not only beautiful, but should be considered an icon of haute fashion and good personal taste!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, C_Hallbert said:

Speaking for myself at the time as a 12 y.o. moralist, aficionado of beautiful women and a counter critic, I hereby declare that this woman is not only beautiful, but she be considered an icon of haute fashion and good personal taste!

Yeah!  I would like her to be my "good friend" also!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In 1968 Valerie Solanas, the American feminist, author of SCUM Manifesto, attempts to assassinate Andy Warhol in 1968 by shooting him three times. She was later diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and pleaded guilty to "reckless assault with intent to harm" and served just a 3 year sentence.

zbx.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2