Trains

Eric

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Have a hard time understanding parking and walking away from locomotives. They weigh enough there is worthwhile scrap value. 

The feds gave the railroads huge land grants in the begining. 36 ft each side of a mainline is private property, through counties, states, jurisdictions, we have our own federal police force with US Marshal type authority.

the process if abandoning old track and equipment is very involved and can take years.

when Conrail was constituted, they set about abandoning hundreds of miles of “right of way” and it took decades

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

I caused a train wreck in my youth. I think I have posted about it before. I released the brakes on a bunch of box cars sitting on a siding in our logging town. Then they started moving....very slowly.....at first. They rolled through town just as all the loggers were coming home from work. Right past the office building and slammed into a speeder. There was quite a commotion about the whole affair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

6071f73e5a1aa9b5355285c9314c3f9e.jpg

Baird Creek Trestle near Mt St Helens. I walked over it in my youth (in the 1960's) while hunting in the area with my dad. We drove over several trestles in our pickup in the same area, but not sure if Baird Creek was one we actually drove over. One of the largest wood trestles ever built. 1130 feet long and 235 feet high.

Edited by Walt Longmire
  • Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Found out that this car has been preserved and restored and is on display in its home town of Englewood Colorado. 

I posted a picture of it in the museum, a post or two after I posted that one. Cool that they preserved it.