John McCain Dead at 81

Wyzz Kydd

As an Arizona resident, I am glad that we will soon have an appointed Senator that will be willing to represent Arizona in the U.S. Senate. McCain's obstinate refusal to retire after being diagnosed with a terminal condition and allow the Governor to appoint an interim Senator reinforced the opinion that McCain was an odious and self-centered individual, concerned only with his access to power and the nearest news camera.

He was nothing like his grandfather or his father.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, blueiron said:

As an Arizona resident, I am glad that we will soon have an appointed Senator that will be willing to represent Arizona in the U.S. Senate. McCain's obstinate refusal to retire after being diagnosed with a terminal condition and allow the Governor to appoint an interim Senator reinforced the opinion that McCain was an odious and self-centered individual, concerned only with his access to power and the nearest news camera.

I hope Ducey chooses someone other than McCain's wife. Maybe a real (R)?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blueiron said:

I was listening to several of his fellow politicians trying to be as gracious as possible last night on various news sites.  They all talked about his service and can-do attitude.

It became pretty clear that he was not a pleasant person to be around.  Some tried to spin his rudeness and selfishness into positive and charming attributes.  It was obvious he was a cranky old man.

I saw him once in Arizona during his Presidential bid during a rally with Hank Williams, Jr.

• Like 1

My sister Jeannie died of brain cancer 7 months after being diagnosed.  She underwent surgery, chemo and radiation, but none of it really helped.  She was a life long school teacher, mom, wife and one of the sweetest persons I ever knew.

Its been 8 years ago, and I still think of her almost every day. 

God speed John McCain.  I did not agree with your politics, but prayers for your family.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I was listening to several of his fellow politicians trying to be as gracious as possible last night on various news sites.  They all talked about his service and can-do attitude.

It became pretty clear that he was not a pleasant person to be around.  Some tried to spin his rudeness and selfishness into positive and charming attributes.  It was obvious he was a cranky old man.

I saw him once in Arizona during his Presidential bid during a rally with Hank Williams, Jr.

I find it it most ironic that the very media who vilified him as a Senator and especially that of a Presidential candidate, are now collectively proclaiming him as a worthy person. They insulted his naval service, his time in North Viet Nam, and many things about him. No one now mentions his involvement in the Saving and Loan scandal as a member of the "Keating 5" or his other issues. 

McCain was a rather contentious person. He had a rather short fuse and had a mercurial personality. I had occasion to meet him and he was dismissive, until he learned that I was a veteran. Only then did his attitude change, but to be moderated only. He was known for his arrogance prior to his time as a POW and that may well have evolved into his disdain for others afterwards.

In the past several decades, he spent little time in Arizona, except during his seclusive vacations at his northern Arizona estate.

He chose to become a U.S. Senator and for 36 years+, he represented Arizona poorly. As a elected politician is how I evaluate him and it is as an academic of political science and a constituent on which my evaluation is based.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2018 at 6:27 PM, Boogieman said:

Now that he's dead I wonder if he'll make it official and register as a democrat.

If he had of switched parties, it's my understanding the the AZ Governor would have to pick a Democrat to replace him!

I voted for John McCain every time he ran for the Senate and when he ran for President. As a Viet Nam era Navy Veteran I felt a certain loyalty to him. I often disagreed with his positions and contacted him many times to voice my displeasure. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona move from a solid conservative state to the other side. The influx of people from the west coast is changing the demographic. 

Yes, the governor is required by law to appoint a replacement from the same party. I would hope he would appoint my previous Congressman Matt Salmon. However given that the governor is running for reelection I doubt he'll choose a former Freedom Caucus member over someone seen as more moderate. I hope I am wrong. And of course flags are at half staff. Many at homes in my neighborhood as well. 

• Like 1

Is anyone else a little bothered by the 'outpouring" of kind words and "proud service" comments from the majority of the LEFT and MSM? Yes, thank you for your military service John McCain. However, how many on "THE LEFT" did everything in their power to discredit and malign his record and presidential bid in 2008. It makes me sick to my stomach! 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, c10bonanza said:

Agree or disagree with his politics, he spent over 5 years as a POW in harsh conditions.  Very few in our nation can say the same.  For that, I respect and admire the man.

I don't find the fact that he spent 5 years as a POW worthy of any respect above and beyond what he earned by virtue of serving honorably.  I don't think the fact that he was shot down and captured should be held against him, nor is it somehow a mark in his favor.  I give people credit for things they're responsible for.  So is he responsible for being taken prisoner?  If so isn't there some blame there too?  To me it's at best a wash.

To me he's a combat veteran and deserves respect for that.  He was also a rino who voted against repealing Obamacare despite the fact that he campaigned on repealing it.  That vote was clearly an act of personal pettiness directed at Trump.  He betrayed the people who voted for him on more than one occasion.

Bottom line he was a deeply flawed man who was occasionally capable of heroism, but was also egotistical, self centered and a liar.  The difference between him and Trump is that Trump is also egotistical, self centered and a liar, but given the opportunity he's pushing a conservative agenda, something I doubt McCain would have done given the opportunity.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I don't find the fact that he spent 5 years as a POW worthy of any respect above and beyond what he earned by virtue of serving honorably.  I don't think the fact that he was shot down and captured should be held against him, nor is it somehow a mark in his favor.  I give people credit for things they're responsible for.  So is he responsible for being taken prisoner?  If so isn't there some blame there too?  To me it's at best a wash.

To me he's a combat veteran and deserves respect for that.  He was also a rino who voted against repealing Obamacare despite the fact that he campaigned on repealing it.  That vote was clearly an act of personal pettiness directed at Trump.  He betrayed the people who voted for him on more than one occasion.

Bottom line he was a deeply flawed man who was occasionally capable of heroism, but was also egotistical, self centered and a liar.  The difference between him and Trump is that Trump is also egotistical, self centered and a liar, but given the opportunity he's pushing a conservative agenda, something I doubt McCain would have done given the opportunity.

Was he a deeply flawed man?  Yes, no doubt about it.  Aren't we all, in differing ways and degrees?  I also fault him on a great number of political matters.

How much in our lives are we, truly, directly responsible for?  Sure, our actions have consequences, both good and bad.  But I have yet to meet a person that planned and foresaw everything in their life and could claim responsibility.

I don't want to spend 5 years as a POW anywhere, regardless of whether it is by choice or if I am responsible for that outcome.  I respect and admire McCain because he did spend that time there.  No more, no less.

I didn't say you have to respect or admire him, just that I do.

Edited by c10bonanza
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I wonder how well some of the folks who are dog piling him would do if they were tortured like he was. Most would likely cave the first day. He was a P.O.W. for 5 long years.

We both know what that would look like.  They would most certainly fail.

Don't forget, btw, that the guys from that era were scorned and cursed as "baby killers", so after being tortured, he was unwelcome back to a country that forced him into that situation in the first place.

The world has become a me too, echo chamber, where the concept of original, objective thought is becoming rare.  The world is no longer a place of varying positives and negatives.  It's becoming a world of black and white.  "You're with me or against me" has become the rallying cry.

And now, 70 years after WW II, we again find the equivalent of Brownshirts, both on our left and right.  I don't fear for my country from the left.  I fear for my country for the self righteous.  It is they, the self anointed, that will take us down.  And that's the scary part.  Because my enemies are now politically bipolar.  I reject them both.  And they both fear me, and wish to silence me.

We are becoming western Soviets.  And the devicive tactics that the Soviets introduced into our society in the 1970's are coming to fruition.  We will consume ourselves, and Russia and China will split the spoils.

All because we couldn't politely, and effectively, communicate.

And I will now be condemned for not choosing the right side.........coming in three,...... two,........one.............

9 hours ago, jame said:

We both know what that would look like.  They would most certainly fail.

Don't forget, btw, that the guys from that era were scorned and cursed as "baby killers", so after being tortured, he was unwelcome back to a country that forced him into that situation in the first place.

The world has become a me too, echo chamber, where the concept of original, objective thought is becoming rare.  The world is no longer a place of varying positives and negatives.  It's becoming a world of black and white.  "You're with me or against me" has become the rallying cry.

And now, 70 years after WW II, we again find the equivalent of Brownshirts, both on our left and right.  I don't fear for my country from the left.  I fear for my country for the self righteous.  It is they, the self anointed, that will take us down.  And that's the scary part.  Because my enemies are now politically bipolar.  I reject them both.  And they both fear me, and wish to silence me.

We are becoming western Soviets.  And the devicive tactics that the Soviets introduced into our society in the 1970's are coming to fruition.  We will consume ourselves, and Russia and China will split the spoils.

All because we couldn't politely, and effectively, communicate.

And I will now be condemned for not choosing the right side.........coming in three,...... two,........one.............

Nobody forced him into that situation.  He asked to be admitted to Annapolis and volunteered to be a pilot.  I think his service is certainly worthy of respect, and I also think that he did many things in the Senate that are worthy of condemnation.  The first doesn't in any way excuse or minimize the second. 

Being a brave combat veteran doesn't give you a free pass for everything that follows in your life.

• Like 2