327 Magnum

Frizzen

4 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Well I see a simple solution to your ammo cost problem.  It starts with a "D" and ends with "ILLION".

I started reloading after buying my first Bren 10.  Even back then the Norma ammo was $1 a round.

What's a dillion?

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, crockett said:

And that's a statement that only can come from somebody with zero experiences in the caliber, and  reloading. The .327 Federal Magnum is designed for a 10,000 PSI higher chamber pressure than the .357 Magnum. It can easily loaded to the same energy levels. Revolvers chambered for .327 Federal Magnum can shoot 5 calibers all together. All this makes the .357 look like what it is: outdated.

Reading the last replies, the .327 would have been a much better choice for OP. Less recoil, very soft shooting .32 H&R Magnum loads, still being very leather, plenty of subsonic options, generally one more round in the same sized package.

It's true I have zero experience with the .327.  I do have a lot of experience reloading pistol ammo.  I started reloading for pistol when I got a 10 mm back in the early 90's.  I eventually came to the conclusion I don't need boutique calibers.  I stick with .45 ACP, 9 mm, 38 spl.  I no longer have the 10 mm.

I concluded I'd rather shoot guns using easy-to-acquire  ammo and spend my surplus spare time mountain biking and paddle boarding, etc.  

If working up excessive chamber pressure makes you happy, go for it.  :)

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2018 at 10:13 PM, MtnBiker said:

It's true I have zero experience with the .327.  I do have a lot of experience reloading pistol ammo.  I started reloading for pistol when I got a 10 mm back in the early 90's.  I eventually came to the conclusion I don't need boutique calibers.  I stick with .45 ACP, 9 mm, 38 spl.  I no longer have the 10 mm.

I concluded I'd rather shoot guns using easy-to-acquire  ammo and spend my surplus spare time mountain biking and paddle boarding, etc.  

For a true reloader there is no such thing as a "boutique caliber".

By the time you come back from the store with your average 9 mm ammo, I have cranked out 1,000 rounds in .327 (or any other pistol caliber I shoot) in one hour on my 1050, in a quality you won't find in any factory round.

Now, if you buy your ammo online like most do these days, you can get .327 (and all the other caliber) without any extra effort.

I reload a box of 50 high quality .327 rounds for $8.53. That's on par with low quality 9 mm, which provides less muzzle energy, less accuracy (by the way, the .327 is know for its flat trajectory), less velocity and less capacity in a comparable revolver.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine which operates at the same pressure levels as the 327 Fed and produces similar ballistics to the 327 Federal out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Back in the late 70's when I had this gun, mil-surp ammo was cheap and still fairly plentiful but I still reloaded for it and tried different bullets and powders.  The one problem was that with the Blackhawk, the cartridge head-spaced on the case mouth and I had to trim after about 5 or 6 full power reloads. Back then I had a single stage press and those who say reloading takes too much time are correct if you're talking about a single stage press.

But I'm someone who enjoys reloading as much as I enjoy shooting and I learned a great deal about ballistics, powders, projectiles and information about different cartridges an their capabilities and limitations from reloading. I also did a of experimentation with every cartridge that I reloaded.. One load I developed in the Blackhawk used a sierra 110 grain spire point which is a bullet that could never be used in a semi-auto 30 carbine but worked fine in the Blackhawk.

What was interesting was that using the same Powder (H-110 as I recall) the pointed sierra bullet developed significantly higher velocities than the same weight 110 grain FMJ's. This is because the front half of the Sierra jhp was completely hollow and the front half of the jacket compressed in the forcing cone of the barrel more easily than the conventionally jacketed roundnose bullet.

Another of my experiments involve a 30-30 single shot barrel for a Stevens single shot 20 gauge shotgun. I just happened to have some RL15 powder on hand for reloading 308 and decided to try it in the 30-30. I also had some 180 grain round nose bullets in 308 and I tied seating them out further to make room for more powder, a trick that I had learned with the 350 Remington magnum in a Ruger 77 where the 350 mag could be loaded to longer than the OAL required for the cartridges to feed in the Remington 660 and once I found the right powder, (IMR 4320) I was able to get about 75-80 additional feet per second out of my 250 grain Speer Hot-cor Spitzers

With the 30-30, seating the bullets further out and adding more powder, I was able to match 30-40 Krag ballistics (2,276 fps in the single shot 30-30 with the 180 grain bullets.

So yes, shooting reloaded ammo can save you money and allow you to do more shooting and allows you to shoot "boutique calibers" like the 30M1 carbine and the 350 Remington magnum, but shooting reloaded ammo is also a lot less BORING than shooting factory ammo.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, crockett said:

For a true reloader there is no such thing as a "boutique caliber".

By the time you come back from the store with your average 9 mm ammo, I have cranked out 1,000 rounds in .327 (or any other pistol caliber I shoot) in one hour on my 1050, in a quality you won't find in any factory round.

Now, if you buy your ammo online like most do these days, you can get .327 (and all the other caliber) without any extra effort.

I reload a box of 50 high quality .327 rounds for $8.53. That's on par with low quality 9 mm, which provides less muzzle energy, less accuracy (by the way, the .327 is know for its flat trajectory), less velocity and less capacity in a comparable revolver.

Image1.png.a39838694457326efc5e5a1f25fbdf82.png

And if you cast bullets as I did, and occasionally still do, your cost on bullets approaches pennies, reducing your cost of ammo to under $5.00/box.

To be honest, my biggest expense with reloaded ammo anymore is unfound brass.  If taken a fondness to the 1911 style pistol, and I have my own range out back, and finding brass is the grass in a bitch.

On a modestly unrelated note, AK Stick turned me on to the .300 AAC Blackout subsonic, and I have a rifle suitably set up for the caliber.  It may be considered "boutique" as well, but all the brass lands into one neat, tidy little pile.  That is very, very helpful.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:57 AM, jame said:

And if you cast bullets as I did, and occasionally still do, your cost on bullets approaches pennies, reducing your cost of ammo to under $5.00/box.

To be honest, my biggest expense with reloaded ammo anymore is unfound brass.  If taken a fondness to the 1911 style pistol, and I have my own range out back, and finding brass is the grass in a bitch.

On a modestly unrelated note, AK Stick turned me on to the .300 AAC Blackout subsonic, and I have a rifle suitably set up for the caliber.  It may be considered "boutique" as well, but all the brass lands into one neat, tidy little pile.  That is very, very helpful.

Casting can make things much cheaper, as long as you don't account for the time factor, specifically when comparing all this to the loading speed of a 1050.

Finding .327 brass won't be much of an issue. Besides a few Henry rifles it will only be shot out of revolvers.

For everything else I'm using the following, it catches basically all brass. They also come in large, ground standing versions.

Edited by crockett

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, MtnBiker said:

Yep, why not if you want a  magnum round just go to 44? 

What I'd like to see is someone neck down a 10mm auto to .310 caliber and create a semi-auto version of the 327 federal that could be used in the Glock 20 with a conversion barrel.

You could start with 9x25 Dillon brass which is the 10mm necked down to ,355 and neck it down to accept .310 bullets such as the 115 grain gold dot that speer offers for the 327 federal. The 9x25 Dillon has an internal case capacity of 22 grains of H20 and I can't find the exact case capacity of the 327 Federal but it's likely similar to the 30 carbine or the 32-20 which both have a case capacity of 21 grains. 

As far as "If you want a  magnum round why not just go to 44?" 2 reasons: Much less recoil and flat shooting at longer ranges.    A load that is considered flat shooting in the 44 mag is the 225 grain pointed flex tip bullet when loaded to 1400 fps, but recoil is very stout unless you're shooting it out of a 7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger Super Redhog. The 327 federal can be fired out of a much lighter, handier gun and has much less recoil than the 44 mag.  I consider the 7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger single-seven to be ideal for the cartridge, It's built on a frame originally intended for a 22 rimfire and is a much lighter gun than a Ruger Blackhawk but the long barrel helps with muzzle flip and gives you about 100 fps more velocity. 

I used to have a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine that had similar ballistics to the 327 federal and it had zero recoil but a huge amount of muzzle blast. But with double ear protection it was enjoyable to shoot and very accurate. Back in the 80's when I owned the Ruger mil-surp ammo was still available at low prices but I still reloaded for the gun.