327 Magnum

Frizzen

I would much prefer a Ruger SP-101 to any smith and Wesson made today. The S&W's have better triggers but that's what gunsmiths are for. the SP-101's come in 3 inch and 2.25 inch barrel lengths,  The 327 Federal has great ballistics. low recoil, but a YUGE amount of muzzle blast with full power loads. It's a cartridge you really need to be able to reload to do a lot of shooting with.

The 632 was ported which I supposed helped with recoil, but since the cartridge has less recoil than a 357 magnum so that really wasn't such a bright idea since it makes the muzzle blast worse.

I think the gun I would enjoy most in this chambering would be the Lipsey's limited edition Ruger Single seven with the 7 shot cylinder an the 7 1/2 inch barrel.

Ruger single seven.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/20/2018 at 5:36 PM, Borg warner said:

I would much prefer a Ruger SP-101 to any smith and Wesson made today. The S&W's have better triggers but that's what gunsmiths are for. the SP-101's come in 3 inch and 2.25 inch barrel lengths,  The 327 Federal has great ballistics. low recoil, but a YUGE amount of muzzle blast with full power loads. It's a cartridge you really need to be able to reload to do a lot of shooting with.

The 632 was ported which I supposed helped with recoil, but since the cartridge has less recoil than a 357 magnum so that really wasn't such a bright idea since it makes the muzzle blast worse.

I think the gun I would enjoy most in this chambering would be the Lipsey's limited edition Ruger Single seven with the 7 shot cylinder an the 7 1/2 inch barrel.

The SP101 currently comes in 3.0" and 4.2", no 2.25". The LCR comes in 1.87".

Then we have the GP100 in 4.2" and 6.0".

The GP100 with the 6" barrel is the ultimate .327 Federal Magnum frame. It swallows the little raise it produces properly, and won't add so much bulk like the Blackhawks do. This will be my 3rd and final .327 Federal Magnum.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

If the prices on Ruger's LCR in 327 ever come down, I'd seriously consider buying one.  As it is, there's no way I'd spend almost $500 on a plastic revolver.  And since I would want to use this for EDC, the SP101 is out.  

A very interesting round for sure, and I've been watching it for a long time.  Following my normal mode of buying another handgun, I'll just wait until they become "collector" items, and the price of empty brass is more than a six-pack of Bud.

I think the ballistics  of the 327 federal (1500 fps w/100 grain gold dot 500 fpe) could be duplicated simply  by necking down a 9x25 Dillon (10mm Auto necked down to 9mm) down to .312 and all you'd need is a conversion barrel for a Glock 20 and it could use standard 10mm magazines. I'd want a 6 inch barrel to be able to get the most velocity possible.

I don't know if you could neck down 9x25 to .312 in one pass, but it's possibility. But with forming dies you could make cases out of 10mm brass.  I've necked down just about every caliber belted magnum rifle case to the shorter 350 Rem mag case using carbide pistol dies and annealing the cases ands then using imperial sizing die wax. It's amazing what can be done when you can't afford the right tools for the job.  I've also made 7.62x 25 Tokerev brass from .223.  And I've also made my own neck sizing dies by cutting down dies that I bough t at gun shows with a carbide blade on a skill saw.

The other thing is that in strong gun you can duplicate 327 federal ballistics in the 32-20 and a Ruger Blackhawk  chambered in 30 carbine will also drive a 100 grain bullet or even a 110 grain bullet at 15-1600 fps but it will be a .308 diameter bullet rather than a .312.

I had a 30 carbine Blackhawk and really liked it. That's why I like the idea of a 7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger single seven in 327 federal because the singles-seven is built on the lightweight single-six frame originally chambered for 22 rimfire.  Speer even makes a 115 grain gold dot in .312 and they rated it at 1350 fps out of a 6 inch barrel. Out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel that would be closer to 1400

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Frizzen said:

Thanks Everyone,

I will check the Ruger GP100 and SP101.  Looking for one for my wife to use at  home.  4 to 6 inch barrel perhaps.

One drawback for home defense is the extreme muzzle blast of the 327 Federal.  It may not be any worse than a 357 magnum but I wouldn't want to fire a 357 magnum indoors either.  A 38 Special Plus+ P would have just about the same recoil as the 327 Fed without the potential for permanent hearing damage.  A seven shot GP-100 with a 4 inch barrel loaded with 158 grain Plus+P  LSWCHP's would be a better choice in my opinion. Or if that gun is too large, a 6 shot Kimber K6s 357 mag chambered with 38 Plus+P.  I've always thought that  the 45 ACP is the ideal home defense gun because of the noise factor.

Sound is measured in decibels (db), much like temperature is measured in degrees and speed in miles per hour. Like most other units, the bottom of the scale or 0 db, is an arbitrary setting, which by convention is set to be the level of the sound that we can barely hear, or at the  hearing threshold, as it is known.

But one major difference between the decibel scale and most of the other common units of measurement, is the fact that the decibel scale is not linear, but logarithmic. In a linear scale, like velocity, double the units of measurement result in double the speed.  But in a logarithmic scale, a sound which is only 3 db higher has twice the energy. For example, the 9mm Luger cartridge at 160 db has twice the sound energy of the .45 ACP cartridge which is measured at 157 db. And a 357 magnum at 164db has more than twice again as much sonic energy as the 45 ACP.

The standard 38 special cartridge produces 158 db, about the same as the 45 ACP, and the 38 Special Plus+P is likely only 1 or two DB higher but far below a 357 or 327 magnum.

Just something to consider when choosing a gun for home defense..

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the .327 seems to be a bit of a boutique gun. 

For a HD gun, I'd seriously think about what Borg said above regarding the .38.  In addition to the .357, the .38+P and the standard .38 rounds, there's also the .38 wad cutter.  Soft shooting, accurate at home defense distances (they're designed for competition shooting) and will throw 148 grains of lead at the BG. 

Also, .357/.38 revolvers are more plentiful than .327s.    

2 hours ago, PATCHMAN said:

To me, the .327 seems to be a bit of a boutique gun. 

For a HD gun, I'd seriously think about what Borg said above regarding the .38.  In addition to the .357, the .38+P and the standard .38 rounds, there's also the .38 wad cutter.  Soft shooting, accurate at home defense distances (they're designed for competition shooting) and will throw 148 grains of lead at the BG. 

Also, .357/.38 revolvers are more plentiful than .327s.    

Wadcutters have been used successfully for defense and are alos effective on small game. the blunt flatnose bullet pushes it's way though flesh and causes damage and imparts shock.  It works better than most Hollowpoints at standard 38 special velocities. Both Buffalo Bore and Underwood make a high performance wadcutter load that is standard pressure and yet the 150-grain hard cast bullet will produce an honest 850 feet per second from a 2-inch Model 60 revolver. Other tests have shown an average velocity of 870 feet per second from a 2-inch model 642. This results in 252 foot-pounds of muzzle energy.  From a 3 or 4 inch barrel it would develop even more velocity.

Underwood produces an Identical load and that's what I carry in my Airweight humpback smith and Wesson with the skinny factory grips an da Tyler T-grip adaptor which is perfect for pocket carry.

Here's' an article that goes into more detail about this load. I've used both Buffalo bore and Underwood in my gun and the perform identically. I chose the underwood because it costs less although I'm able to order buffalo bore from my local Cabelas and don't have to pay shipping but it's a half-hour drive to Cabelas and underwood will deliver to my door for less than ten dollars and shipping for two boxes is the same as for one.

As far as the 327, it's one of those cartridges that you really need to be able to reload for and if high velocity is your thing it does best in a long barreled revolver like the Lipsey's Ruger Single seven with the 7 1/2 inch barrel.  This gun is built on the smaller single-six frame and not on the larger Blackhawk frame and has a seven shot cylinder. The long barrel also keeps the muzzle blast a little further from you face.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

I owned, reloaded, and tricked out the .327 for many years, and I can promise you it's an absolute beast.  It's low recoils, and it hits as hard as a rifle.

What most don't count on is the blast effect.  Indoors, it would be incapacitating to those on both ends of the gun.  

Thanks for all your replies, especially Borg W.

We picked up a decent S&W M34 6 inch with after market grips.  It will be loaded with 38 Special +P 135 gr. Gold Dots.  

Don't know if the M34 is rated for +P but, it won't be used too much.  We got some practice in to get the feel and sights set.   It will be shot a couple times a year at a relatives rural home.

The revolver will be safely accessible at home.

Also picked up 2 HKS #10 speed loaders and 2 boxes of wad cutters for practice.

This seems like a nice home protection package for the "two" of us.  The long sight radius helps while sighting over the top in low light.

Snub nose revolvers were ruled out.  We were not looking for a carry piece.

Thanks everyone for guiding me away from the 327 Magnum.  It would have been too much for my wife to handle along with the flash and indoors hearing issues.  That counts for me also.

Frizzen ...

Edited by Frizzen
  • Like 2

On paper, the Ruger LCR .327 seems like a great gun, with its ability to shoot .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long and .32 S&W. Problem is, as far as I know, Ruger is the only company currently making .327 guns, and I don't think anyone is currently making guns in any of the other calibers. That means the ammo is going to be expensive and subject to shortages. That's why I won't buy that LCR.

Edited by Pistolay

8 hours ago, Frizzen said:

Thanks for all your replies, especially Borg W.

We picked up a decent S&W M34 6 inch with after market grips.  It will be loaded with 38 Special +P 135 gr. Gold Dots.  

Don't know if the M34 is rated for +P but, it won't be used too much.  We got some practice in to get the feel and sights set.   It will be shot a couple times a year at a relatives rural home.

The revolver will be safely accessible at home.

Also picked up 2 HKS #10 speed loaders and 2 boxes of wad cutters for practice.

This seems like a nice home protection package for the "two" of us.  The long sight radius helps while sighting over the top in low light.

Snub nose revolvers were ruled out.  We were not looking for a carry piece.

Thanks everyone for guiding me away from the 327 Magnum.  It would have been too much for my wife to handle along with the flash and indoors hearing issues.  That counts for me also.

Frizzen ...

38 special is a good choice but I  thought that a smith an Wesson model 34 was chambered in 22 Long rifle so I'm curious as to what gun you bought if it's a 38. Is it  5 shot J-frame or a 6 shot K frame? I would guess it must be a K frame if it has a 6 inch barrel. Is it a model 14 by any chance?

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, MtnBiker said:

A 327 sounds like another marketing ploy to me.  

And that's a statement that only can come from somebody with zero experiences in the caliber, and  reloading. The .327 Federal Magnum is designed for a 10,000 PSI higher chamber pressure than the .357 Magnum. It can easily loaded to the same energy levels. Revolvers chambered for .327 Federal Magnum can shoot 5 calibers all together. All this makes the .357 look like what it is: outdated.

Reading the last replies, the .327 would have been a much better choice for OP. Less recoil, very soft shooting .32 H&R Magnum loads, still being very leather, plenty of subsonic options, generally one more round in the same sized package.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Borg warner said:

38 special is a good choice but I  thought that a smith an Wesson model 34 was chambered in 22 Long rifle so I'm curious as to what gun you bought if it's a 38. Is it  5 shot J-frame or a 6 shot K frame? I would guess it must be a K frame if it has a 6 inch barrel. Is it a model 14 by any chance?

Thanks Borg,

My typo, the revolver is a S&W M14 6 shot 38 special k frame with 6 inch barrel.

I have also added Crimson Trace lazer grips.

Notice the wide trigger and hammer spur.

Below is our home defense package!

IMG_0820 3.jpg

IMG_0822 2.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Edited by Frizzen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frizzen said:

Thanks Borg,

My typo, the revolver is a S&W M14 6 shot 38 special k frame with 6 inch barrel.

I have also added Crimson Trace lazer grips.

Notice the wide trigger and hammer spur.

Below is our home defense package!

IMG_0820 3.jpg

IMG_0822 2.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Beautiful gun, If you still have the original factory grips for it, don't lose them. they are worth at least $100 bucks.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:12 PM, AZ Husker said:

I don't reload, and I just priced .327 ammo. Not for me thanks!

Well I see a simple solution to your ammo cost problem.  It starts with a "D" and ends with "ILLION".

I started reloading after buying my first Bren 10.  Even back then the Norma ammo was $1 a round.