Have you ever reported a crime?

XSIV4S

I have stopped a couple drunk driver's over the year and stuck around until police were present and helped at an accident scene or two, but this is different. What do you do when you know the people, there business is engaged in a large scale continuing fraud and it is an extreme betrayal of the public's trust (Particularly donated items)?

2 hours ago, XSIV4S said:

I have stopped a couple drunk driver's over the year and stuck around until police were present and helped at an accident scene or two, but this is different. What do you do when you know the people, there business is engaged in a large scale continuing fraud and it is an extreme betrayal of the public's trust (Particularly donated items)?

Large scale fraud is usually the domain of the FBI.  I'd talk to them.

My company was the target of national as well as international fraud ring. We did all the investigation down to names and addresses, called local PDs, and nada. They either didn't understand the scheme or flat out said that they don't have the resources. Called our local FBI office a couple times, nobody ever answered the phone, left a message, never heard back. And this was not some petty crime, wouldn't waste my time with that. Even called a LEO buddy but it was out of his jurisdiction. He gave me the number from another LEO in the correct county, and he also said that they are backlogged with fraud cases.

So if you call your case in, I'd really like to know if its going anywhere.

PS: when my neighbor back in Miami almost killed his GF, street cops arrived quickly, just in time. She was unconscious and there was blood literally everywhere. Neighbor was a Russian, and he beat the **** out of her. I heard weeks later from the Condo administration that I might have saved her life because I was the only one who called the screaming in at 2 AM. Supposedly she was in coma for several days. I was about to go in myself when the screaming was long gone and he was still smashing ****. By the time I made it up the fire stairwell, the cops just had kicked in the door and proceeded to take him down at gun point. Won't ever get the image of white marmor tiles and fresh blood all over the place out of my brain, that's for sure.

One reason why I have a lot of respect for cops working the streets. The further up it goes, and things seem to be politicized, complicated and delayed.

Edited by crockett

36 minutes ago, Tjs said:

You may need to go to the prosecutor, especially if the police consider it a civil matter

Nope, it's people going to prison big (9 or so tractor trailer loads). I guess I know the right thing to do; unfortunately, it is slightly complicated (No smoking gun) so I don't know how willing anyone will be to pursue it. JimBianci mentioned crime reporters which might be a good start.

I use to run the technical operation for one of the alternative long distance companies that sprang up after the break up of ATT & Bell, I did all the programing of the central switch, maintained the network of phone lines and trained & supervised the techs that installed equipment at business customers premixes. 

Anyway the computer guy that ran the inhouse network and the billing computer discovered a program that added time to the billable duration of calls, and we confronted the owner who told us it was his company and not to let the door hit us in the ass if we didn't like it, and that promises made to me were off. We were very well paid so stayed and did what we could the thwart other stuff, boss hated us and eventually we left.

I was one of the first people hired and worked my way into being the technician in the company and worked for starvation wages when the company started with the promise of a small percentage of monthly billing and 2% ownership in the company when it became profitable. Well because I was resisting him he reneged on all promises so I quit. About that time there was an article in a trade magazine about how hard would it be to manipulate the times and the DOJ and FBI were looking into it. I took the mag and went and knocked on the FBI's door. 

That started a 4 year journey, the FBI had no idea on how to proceed, where to get evidence, people to talk to etc. so I had to take the agent around to get physical evidence, introduce him to people etc.

Well it finally went to a Grand Jury and I had to testify and later had a meeting with the Assistant US Attorney handling the case and the US Attorney to go over the history of the case. At the end, the US Attorney said "I have a couple questions, they will not effect the case, just my curiosity. You perused this case for 4 years, just for revenge"? (During the investigation FBI Forensic Accounts estimated the promises he reneged on would have been worth1.5 to 2 million dollars over 10 years, hell yes I was out for revenge)

Me} Yes and for justice for the people he screwed

AG} Once the word started to get out, his wife got an anonymous phone call that lead her to catching him and his girlfriend leaving the local hot tub operation. Did you have anything to do with that phone call?

Me} Yes I did

AG} All of his inverters got anonymous letters detailing the legal jeopardy the company was in. Did you have anything to do with those letters?

Me} Yes I did.

AG} Well, with all the evidence and people you have brought to us you will never need to testify, no one will ever know it was you that did all this, my most junior attorney could win this case with out breaking a sweat.

Me} No deal! If this goes to trial I want to testify, I want to sit in the witness box and look him in the eye as I tip over his little red wagon. And while he is in prison I'm going to send him a box of his favorite Girl Scout Cookies with a note 'Hi X, I'm thinking about you. Are you thinking about me' at every cookie campaign while he is in prison. (He was screwing the local council of Girl Scouts who kept all their phone records and those records were a BIG part of the evidence.)

AG looking at the FBI Agent I was working with} X, if I ever start to piss this guy off, would you warn me in time to make my apologies.

Well with all the evidence he copped a plea (got off easy) and was sentenced to 24 months and did 18, which spanned 2 Girl Scout Cookie campaigns, and yes he got his cookies and love note from me both campaigns. He was worth about $15 million, his wife took half of that, he sold the company for $3 million when the FBI accountants estimated it was worth $10 million and spent what was left on his team of lawyers, he had NOTHING when he got out of prison.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, XSIV4S said:

You know it's going on, but do you have enough evidence for an investigator to work with, to be able to start an investigation?

If you don't, then it's not likely that it will go anywhere on just your word alone.

If you DO have evidence, then I don't actually know.

The only time I had to report a crime (in the civilian world) was when my (very recently) ex wife called me and asked me to come pick up my son early, because her boyfriend/father of her new baby was yelling at my son.  He met me in the parking lot, and spun me this story about how his daughter from a previous relationship that was with him for the day went to go say goodbye to my son because she was leaving, then came back to her daddy crying.  He lost his temper and yelled at my son for it.  According to him that was all that happened.  

I went to where my ex wife was hiding.  He had taken her car keys, so she was hiding in the apartment complex clubhouse.  

First thing my son did was come up to me crying that he saw (name redacted to protect the guilty) choking mommy.  She was scared to call the cops, so I called them, then waited for them to arrive.

While waiting for the police, (name redacted) took off, and kept her car keys.  he returned them several days later, then a few days after that turned himself in.  He didn't believe for the first 5 days that she had actually talked to the police about him or that they were looking for him.  He had also smashed some of her stuff in the past, and the TV he put his fist through was still in her apartment.

Last I heard was a month after it happened, he was still bouncing back and forth between a couple of county jails, but looked like he would be in jail for at least a year, as he choked her with both hands, and the only escalation from that is killing her.