Dramatic Pictures

Eric

Just now, pipedreams said:

Western Grebes

Photographer: Carol Greiner

Pyramid Lake, Nevada, July 23, 2017.

b-greiner-western-grebes.jpg

The eyes are reminiscent of the Loons we see frequently on Minnesota lakes.   Both types are beautiful birds.  It is fascinating to see Loons come up from a dive and watch the water roll off their feathers in transparent beads.  You can get quite close to them while you're both fishing.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

The eyes are reminiscent of the Loons we see frequently on Minnesota lakes.   Both types are beautiful birds.  It is fascinating to see Loons come up from a dive and watch the water roll off their feathers in transparent beads.  You can get quite close to them while you're both fishing.

I like the little one peeking it's head out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pipedreams said:

32d9c1a7e616dd82.jpg

I remember my earliest thoughts about water and swimming before I actually did it.

I remember that in my mind, the water was a layer on the surface and when you went below the surface there was air underneath.

Everybody in the "Land of Lakes" knew how to swim from a very early age.  'Cause water was everywhere.

When I first went into the city swimming pool, I got caught by the lifeguard in the deep end.  He said I could swim in the deep end if I would show him than I could swim the width of the pool.

Challenge taken!!

I damn near drowned, but by God with shear will and determination, I made it across.  I still can see his smile and saying it is OK for me to swim in the deep end.

A few days later us kids jumped into one of the myriad Granite Quarries around our town.  Straight walls, 90 or more feet deep.

Oddly, I remember no occurrence of drownings in the Quarries.  

• Like 2

• Eric featured this topic