Dramatic Pictures

Eric

Moon and Planets at Twilight
November 28, 2019

This week's ongoing conjunction of Venus and Jupiter may have whetted your appetite for skygazing. Tonight is the main course though. On November 28, a young crescent Moon will join them posing next to the two bright planets above the western horizon at twilight. Much like tonight's visual feast, this night skyscape shows a young lunar crescent and brilliant Venus in the western evening twilight on October 29.

The celestial beacons are setting over distant mountains and the Minya monastery, Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan, China, planet Earth. Then Mercury, not Jupiter, was a celestial companion to Venus and the Moon. The fleeting innermost planet is just visible here in the bright twilight, below and left of Venus and near the center of the frame. Tomorrow, November 29, the crescent Moon will also help you spot planet Saturn for dessert.

a9557aa7dc6d0355.png

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Ice skating under a starry sky

image.png.1c9ffecbadc812bf7a59765d4fbcb813.png

It's wonderful.  I have done this the first third of my life, and now near the end, I can't do it because of physical problems.  But, I do miss it so.  This is something you can do with children and both can enjoy it together.

At the very least, I would like to teach my Grand daughters how to do the "Grapevine". It depends on two edges on the skates.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

• Eric featured this topic