Dramatic Pictures

Eric

NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day

Atlas at Dawn
August 9, 2019

This single, 251-second long exposure follows the early flight of an Atlas V rocket on August 8, streaking eastward toward the dawn from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, planet Earth. The launch of the United Launch Alliance rocket was at 6:13am local time. Sunrise was not until 6:48am, but the rocket's downrange plume at altitude is brightly lit by the Sun still just below the eastern horizon.

56bd398886b16daf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
On 8/8/2019 at 12:59 PM, pipedreams said:

Bryce Canyon NP

7eaa64c511d1066a.jpeg

I was at Bryce Canyon a few years ago, at the tail-end of winter. There was still quite a bit of snow on the ground. It was breathtaking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I was at Bryce Canyon a few years ago, at the tail-end of winter. There was still quite a bit of snow on the ground. It was breathtaking. 

For all  the wonders at man's fingertips, Nature still remains leagues ahead for spectacular sights.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

323d05ab1b2300b846f7cd2d765ef930.jpg

We didn’t know what we had until we lost it

Nineteen different steam locomotives over twenty-eight years on Southern and Norfolk Southern rails... and guest appearances a few other places.

Do you mean the 110 degree cab or the black lung insurance, boiler explosions, and lack of air brakes

• Like 1

Do you mean the 110 degree cab or the black lung insurance, boiler explosions, and lack of air brakes

Think those issues were largely overcome well before the 28 year span covered by those excursions. With the possible exception of the cab temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Think those issues were largely overcome well before the 28 year span covered by those excursions. With the possible exception of the cab temperature.

Steam isn’t black, a Brakemans life expectancy was pretty short, 16 hour days and sleeping in the caboose to go to work again in 6 for 8 

not romantic...but cool engines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steam isn’t black, a Brakemans life expectancy was pretty short, 16 hour days and sleeping in the caboose to go to work again in 6 for 8 
not romantic...but cool engines

The cowboy’s life was nothing like the popular press made it out to be either. And in the case of railroads and cowboys plenty fell in love with the work... while for many more it was just a job, and not necessarily a pleasant one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2018 at 1:40 PM, Eric said:

Pretty much, but the Sovs loved the Airacobra. They kicked some serious ass with those things.

IL2-BM-Bell-P-39N-Airacobra-USSR-100GvIAP-01-Grigorii-DoLNikov-Russia-1945-V10.thumb.jpg.a6f314ced8f577ce7bc300a363c67e51.jpg

The Russians did love that Airacobra.  US couldn't do much with it but the Russians used the hell out of it.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:29 PM, ASH said:

mt saint helen 

UYcQ6ty.jpg

UYcQ6ty.jpg

10mm man........

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Eric featured this topic