Off The Beaten Path

Eric

• Administrators

What are some little known, maybe hard to get to places you have been in the continental US?

I’ll start off with Crown King, AZ. In the mountains of central AZ, more than forty miles from the nearest paved road. It was a mining supply village that managed to hang on when the mines dried up. It doesn’t require a 4X4 to get there, but it helps.

Sometimes the 4X4 won’t save you though.

8398F53E-AF00-4A40-9B1F-E829946B3A7E.thumb.jpeg.d48375a54e54b51012bd93ae9bc2234d.jpeg

The saloon. I very nearly dropped my then-three-week-old Kimber 5” CDP into their outhouse one time. It tottered on the edge for what seemed like 5 hours, before falling to the ground.

220E9BDC-22DC-428C-9BC1-B4CDFDEE3759.thumb.jpeg.1cbb1c2bb7c187c975eb84c35e2f8c5b.jpeg

The general store. That is the only gas pump for 50 miles or so, in any direction. The locals, there are a couple hundred of them, get around mostly on ATVs.

11ECCEA1-961C-415F-B1BC-DCE9D4ABD27B.thumb.jpeg.e01491f2450ecf8c20169d522f04d22d.jpeg

8D27E9A1-16F7-40C1-A267-9132D3C224E1.thumb.jpeg.5037a514c543e2d799fed56af8d9af29.jpeg

1AF98880-0ECB-4EB7-B4DC-31E0706C62DA.thumb.jpeg.1fbc1917774d2a8887dcaca447a4bed3.jpeg

So, what do you have?

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, SmokeRoss said:

Pretty much everything around here is off the beaten path.

That’s why I said the lower-48?. Everyone expects everything to be hard to get to there. It is interesting to find pockets of frontier left here in the middle of wall-to-wall civilization.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

That’s why I said the lower-48?. Everyone expects everything to be hard to get to there. It is interesting to find pockets of frontier left here in the middle of wall-to-wall civilization.

In that case. Holden Village, Wa off Lake Chelan. Take the Lady of the Lake ferry to Lucerne. Hop a cattle truck for the ride up into the mountains to Holden Village, an old mining town turned summer church camp. Great deer hunting and hiking in the mountains. 

• Like 2

Where I live is out there. 50 regulars and 250 weekenders.  Everyone carries and we all look out for each other. We have our own gun range, our own fire deparment, our own patrol and we can go for miles from our community to other communities on UTV trails. The 13 mile trek to the liquor store can be done on the trail.  We have no Wal Mart, no red lights, one franchised eatery and its on a floating dock and that’s how we want it.  

Taken on top of one mountain overlooking 40,000 acre lake in our community. 

DA9559F2-BB94-4273-9000-9DE8F3B78733.jpeg

Edited by Will Beararms
  • Like 1

brit  cemetery  not far from our beach house on Ocracoke  .   land in cemetery british owned . not so off the path but i got too many to list .

British Cemetery 2_OTIS.jpg

British-Cemetery-2.jpg

Edited by ASH
  • Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BigBull 301 said:

Winston, NM. Way in the **** out in the middle of no where.

I’ve found myself in the wilderness in the middle of Albuquerque. There are some spooky places in that berg. Anyway, there are definitely some very desolate areas in NM. I’ve spent quite a bit of time there.

It is interesting to fly from the southeast, west over Texas, then NM and AZ. You go from ground that is broken up into a jigsaw puzzle of land parcels, to untamed landscape in West Texas. You are over a whole lot of nothing for great tracts of land after that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

That would certainly count. Why couldn’t they build it someplace more convenient?:greensupergrin:

Because sometimes history is inconvenient... I’d much rather they put it in Arizona or NM. I haven’t been since 2007/2008... I would love to go back.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Gun Shark said:

Because sometimes history is inconvenient... I’d much rather they put it in Arizona or NM. I haven’t been since 2007/2008... I would love to go back.

Yeah, only the Democrats get to rewrite history. :greensupergrin:

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Eric said:

FT AP Hill, VA. I learned to hate that ****ing place. Pic is just a stock photo I found on Google. I recognize several of those trees though.

497E3B45-9435-49FB-B9E6-26E1032685F1.jpeg.6325f5ae97786e6e3df93199fb89636e.jpeg

This kind of swampy crap can be found in just about every training area of that damned military reservation. I used to hate slogging through that ****  

EB13E801-F0D3-4416-90A4-C55E1807B112.jpeg.a8d605685e2615c63bde1caef6f3c91c.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Gun Shark said:

Odds are that it will look exactly as it did in 2007/08 as the work on it is progressing VERY slow. The Ziolkowski family has very little incentive to finish it quickly because they don't want to lose their high paying jobs. 

• Administrators

Anyone from Northern Idaho or Montana that has heard of Upper Glidden Lake or Military Basin? We used to hunt there. Also on some of the ridge lines near the northern end of Moon Pass, a few miles south of Wallace. 

Hiking off the beaten path somewhere around Death Valley, in January 2009.

My little rock formation is most likely still standing. Well, probably not, that nasty wind will have knocked it down eventually.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2