Fireworks

Gun Shark

Both.

We've taken in two community shows this year.  Tonight, we'll have some friends over and put on a small show in the street for all our kids.

I used to just go and buy a multipack of fireworks from the pop-up sellers around town, but there's always too much junkie stuff that just sputters for a few seconds and then is done.  It turns into a lot of running back and forth to the street with the lighter and some disappointing results.

The last year or so, I've used coupons from the fireworks stores along the interstate.  Whenever they have a special during the year, I'll go buy some large repeaters on sale and store them away for New Years or the 4th.  Buy a few 500g Finale repeaters and you can spend more time enjoying and less time burning your fingers.

In fact, before tonight, I think I'll go and use the buy 1 get 2 free coupon that I just got in the mail.

My neighborhood becomes a full on war zone.     By the time midnight rolls around you can't see from the smoke.    I'm usually holed up by then just to not breath that stuff.   

That being said, I'm not complaining.   I enjoy it still.   

As far as buying stuff.  It's too expensive around here anymore.  100 bucks doesn't buy you squat anymore.     I kinda let everyone else do it now and take more of a backseat to it all.     Back 10 years ago we were doing a pickup truck load of mortars and we had to 4x8 sheets of plywood with about 16 mortar tubes on them.   Lots of fuse tying.    

Many towns in the area fireworks are illegal.    Here, we are still holdouts.   

I don't travel to see the shows.   Traffic blows around here and I don't go anywhere at all anymore let alone traveling to Tacoma or Seattle to watch some big show and stand next to people I don't really care for lol.  

Back in the day fireworks were a big deal. Spent a lot of money on them and had plenty for the entire year.

That was in a time when you could buy proper fireworks legally and nobody called the police on you when you had fun throughout the year.

"Firecrackers" looked like this... bought in big bricks...

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I worked for a while in an Emergency Room.  Seeing young men with fingers missing, hands screwed up or with problems seeing adjusted my attitude towards fireworks. When our boy was young we did maybe a few sparklers and some small noise makers.  We now see the stuff at a safe distance that the pros shoot off.

A lifetime ago when I was married with children, we would always go to the town display and have a few safe and sane samples for the kids to play with.

Now, I have had to work the 4th for the past few years on nights, so took a few minutes to go outside and watch the city display.

This year, I am off.  Heading down to the cabin by the lake with family and will be doing some lumberjack work and a lot of shooting.  Then a lot of drinking.

1 hour ago, Richardb said:

Seeing young men with fingers missing, hands screwed up or with problems seeing adjusted my attitude towards fireworks. 

Fireworks are like guns.  They must be respected and treated accordingly.     I've dabbled in a lot of things that would remove limbs,  or lift the roof off of a car.   Like many things in life, some people just don't get it.  or they're drunk.  

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Back in the day fireworks were a big deal. Spent a lot of money on them and had plenty for the entire year.

That was in a time when you could buy proper fireworks legally and nobody called the police on you when you had fun throughout the year.

"Firecrackers" looked like this... bought in big bricks...

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

China Böller? I had those in Hamburg as a little kid!

7 minutes ago, Andyd said:

China Böller? I had those in Hamburg as a little kid!

Yep, same here, that was back in Germany. Never saw China boellers in the US. It was fun sticking them into the snow or other things. We even wrapped some in paper and duct tape, and managed to set them off in water. One time we cracked the rain collection barrel at friends house. I wasn't allowed to come over for a while... must have been 14 or so... :D

Fun times.

Schoenen Gruss nach Texas!

• Like 1

Guy at work is an amateur explosives enthusiast.  Been making bombs since he was 8 years old.  He said he is going to have his annual 4th of July explosives display for friends and family.  Unbelievable amount of explosives, according to him.  He is a local tribal member of some Native American tribe so I guess he pretty much gets away with just about anything.

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

He is a local tribal member of some Native American tribe so I guess he pretty much gets away with just about anything.

Some of my craziest and most highly illegal "fireworks" errrrr explosives that were "store bought" have come out of the trunks of some local Native Americans cars.   

Well, these are the ones coming out of the back of my car for tonight:

IMG_20180704_165036397.thumb.jpg.cd45f15060be3e4d103adfa05c5a11ed.jpg

A few leftovers from New Year's, some picked up on sale over the last half year, and the previously mentioned buy 1 get 2 deal.

My kids like them, but mostly they make my wife happy.  Happy wife, happy life. 

We do them sometimes. The neighborhood is usually full of them on the 4th. Not this year. They have been banned in much of the county. Weeks with no rain, windy today and super hot. People's lawns have caught fire because they are so dry. One spark in a tree and it could burn houses down.