What have you prepared for?

What have you taken the time to prepare for? Have you looked at what the most likely events to occur and ranked them? 

It seems like some like to prepare for the exciting events, but neglect to take the time to really think about what may actually occur. Yes, a super-volcano could happen, but it isn't high on my scale of potential threats.

Here is my list of events that I see could effect my family:

1. Severe weather-thunderstorms, tornadoes, snow/ice storms
  2. Power outages/water outages
  3. Health event
  4. Criminal activity-break-in, robbery, etc.
  5. Fire
  6. Job loss
  7. Chemical/refinery release
  8. Civil unrest
  9. Earthquake

This is the list we have come up with over the years and have made our preparations for such events. The nice thing is that preparation for one event generally rolls over to other events. The number 1 event on my list is what actually got us started into preparing when a thunderstorm came through and left us without power for a week, followed six months later by an ice storm that left us without power for three days, which we were much better prepared to deal with that event than the first.

So, what does your list of events look like?  

• Like 1

My home preparedness is geared toward managing 90 days with ZERO services. 

My mobile preparedness is geared toward managing 3 days with ZERO services.

note- preparedness does include elements of self defense and personal safety.

When I say services, I am referring to:  food, water, elec, fuel, police, ems or fire

The longest I have gone without basic services was 12 days.  This was after a series of severe tornadoes knocked out a multi county power grid.  There were NO stores open for business, no gas stations, no businesses of any kind, no cell service and no internet of any kind, no power.  The grocery stores were emptied in a matter of hours, police enacted a dusk til dawn curfew as a safety precaution.  Thefts, looting and general disorder skyrocketed.  I think that I did pretty well and I considered 12 days to be a decent experiment into whether or not my preparedness plan was reliable in its current form.  A critical assessment of my plan did highlight a few demerits. 

1. I needed more fuel on hand

2. I needed a better method to receive general broadcasts and information

3.  I needed more batteries.

I have since corrected for these failings but it all continues to be a work in progress.

Edited by Paper Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had a few bad rain storms and snow storms that have isolated my area for a few days, so I am prepared for about 30 days without food services. Other than power to the well and fridge, I don't need power in my house to keep the home warm.

Mobile preparedness, I am a medic so I have to be prepared to be mandated for service during any disaster, and I will be expected to live at quarters through that period.

That's a fair list @BMyers, would be close to mine if I made one sans #7 and #9. Like @Paper TigerI plan less for a specific event, but more toward being to able to provide for and protect my family for an extended period of time without the normally available utilities, resources, and supply chains in place. Including normal fire, medical, or protective services. As I live in a wintry part of the country it is also necessary to prepare for extended periods of sub-zero temps as well. I will also add that growing up this was not considered preparedness, it was considered common sense.

for us, it's hurricanes and flooding. were ready for 3-5 days of no power, but we don't have any high water vehicle for evacuation. we sit fairly high up, so it would have to be catastrophic for us to have to bug out.

• 1 month later...

No matter the event, I know what to do. I got the needed knowledge, determination and resources at hand. Lake in the backyard with plenty of fish and ducks, water filtration system, generator, gas storage, battery backup, places to hunt within a mile, a 4WD diesel truck with large tank, plenty of firearms and reloading supplies.

The mostly likely event is loss of property by burglary or hurricane / flooding. Got insurance, and I sleep with a gun in my bed.

Other than that, I try to focus on actually living my life.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I plan for 30 days without electricity.

My water supply is a well and it has a 120 gallon storage tank of treated water in my basement on standby. Because it is part of the system, it is continually replenished. I usually have about 4-5 cases of bottled water on hand. Got 2 cases of MREs, various canned food, a coleman cookstove and a gas grill to boil water to make anything like spaghetti. 

As far as heat, NG gas log fireplace could keep the house warm enough in winter, would use the car to charge up any batteries that need it, some oil lamps for light.

Plenty of weapons on hand for protection of home when I am there.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:45 PM, ARP said:

I plan for 30 days without electricity.

My water supply is a well and it has a 120 gallon storage tank of treated water in my basement on standby. Because it is part of the system, it is continually replenished. I usually have about 4-5 cases of bottled water on hand. Got 2 cases of MREs, various canned food, a coleman cookstove and a gas grill to boil water to make anything like spaghetti. 

As far as heat, NG gas log fireplace could keep the house warm enough in winter, would use the car to charge up any batteries that need it, some oil lamps for light.

Plenty of weapons on hand for protection of home when I am there.

Sounds well prepared.

1. Severe weather-thunderstorms, tornadoes, snow/ice storms

I try to stayed prepared for storms. I live in Oklahoma, so tornados and ice storms happen. It is easier for us, because it is just the wife and myself. We have an extra room that we use for storage. We keep cases of water, grab bags, and back packs ready to go. We have gone a couple of weeks without power after a major ice storm and did fine. We keep our things that can't be replaced in a tote that we can cram down in the storm shelter. I have insurance for everything else.

1. Power outages/water outages

Same as above.

1. Health event

I broke my back in 2000. I found out real quick that life can change on any day. I try to keep money in the bank, so that I can get by for a while if I can't work.

1. Criminal activity-break-in, robbery, etc.

Guns, ammo, and a plan of action that we have practiced.

1. Fire

A few things that can not be replaced in a tote. Insurance for the rest.

1. Job loss

The job I am in right now was experimental. They did tell me up front that they would try it for a couple of years and did not know from there. Now our time is running out and it looks like they are not going to continue with it. It sucks, because I am possibly looking at being out of a job in a couple of months. They said that they will probably offer a transfer, if they close this down, but who knows where. Not quite sure what I will do. I have been pack ratting money the last few months. I have enough saved to pay the bills for a while. Hopefully I can find another job by then. Other then that, I keep faith that God will lead me where I need to go. 

1. Civil unrest

Guns, ammo, supplies to lock down for a while, and grab bags and back packs ready.

1. Earthquake                       
  2. Insurance.                                                      

As a wolverine fan I mostly prepare for heartbreaking freak losses to bitter rivals and then getting to read about it for years to come.

Oh-io[emoji16]

The Blizzard of 78 taught me the need for prepping and that’s about the worst weather wise I can imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other event that I didn't include on my original list, but my wife and I have done a LOT of preparation for is retirement. It is more of a planned event, but it is a major event none the less. Talking with our financial planner, it was a little surprising how few people actually plan for their retirement. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

1. Fire

2. H2S or other toxic release

.3. Explosions and other loss of containment related mishaps. 

I also have a decent rainy day fund that can get me through a year at current prices w/o counting unemployment and plenty of guns and ammo as well as being CPR/AED qualified - the basic level not EMT type. 

The items 1,2 and 3 above are due to my work in a refinery where a lot of things can go wrong and have gone wrong in the 21 years. Prior to that a friend of my died on the flightline in August of 1980 and a Rigger Apprentice died in 1982 @ Mare Island Naval Shipyard Graveyard shift after a steel cable snapped and broke numerous ribs and tore his liver severely. I do take measures for weather, earthquake and other events but people being shocked, suffering traumatic injuries etc are something I associate with work for the most part even though I have gone to the local fire dept to help fill sandbags during floods a couple times. 

That's ^^^ not trying to make it sound like I have an eventful life because most of the time it is just another day at work. 

Most days I'm not even prepared to climb out of bed, and it goes downhill from there.

I could probably survive a few months without any outside intervention of any type, barring any medical emergencies.

For medical, I can probably survive or help someone else survive some of the non extreme things that can come up long enough to get to proper medical help, but not during a major disaster.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

in Florida one is most always prepared for catastrophic weather events, we've ridden out numerous  hurricanes that disrupted power, water, transportation, the longest was eight days, my main concern is for the little lady, being a veteran I can deal with out the comforts of home, heck I lived in the most comfortable foxhole for awhile overseas,  one of my hobbies is back packing, camping so I put together a rather comprehensive survival pack, miniature gas stove, freeze dried foods, titanium cooking set, we put together a pretty good supply of canned foods, bottled water, flashlights, coffee maker ( she can't do without her coffee ) so we can go for quite sometime without power, we have learned how to conserve to make items last longer, for protection I keep my handguns where we can get to them quickly, the little lady is proficent with them also, just smart living and one will survive, have even just for kicks went and caught a mess of sunfish for a couple of the neighbors, we fried em up and had much fun, turned a stressful time into a fun time, but again this was limited timeframe events, when the SHTF that's another scenario that we will have to deal with,  hopefully never, I was a lot younger living in that foxhole,  now prefer my easy chair, soft bed, a Sam Adams octoberfest beer, life is good, we don't appreciate how we are blessed until a  catastrophic event disrupts our every day routine. Most people can't adjust or deal with it ...

• Like 1