Random Posting

Eric

Magazines - the reading kind...

More and more magazine publishers offer digital versions. Some offer them as add-ons to print subscriptions, with or without extra cost. Others offer them as stand-alone subscriptions, and some offer them as downloadable individual issues. 

How long before digital is the only choice offered for many titles?

I have a digital only subscription to a British monthly motor scootering magazine. Postage costs from UK to US for a print subscription is extreme - more than the magazine itself costs there.

A major US publisher of hobby magazines is converting one of its less popular model railroading magazines to digital only.

I receive email teasers - including selected articles - from at least one of the gun magazines. Each email offers an opportunity to buy the current issue as a PDF download for no more - and probably less - then the print copy would cost in the store.

Certainly digital magazines are easier to store and refer back to than print copies.

For me, PDF copies of magazines are the best choice as I can read them with the iPhone. Nook and Kindle allow ebook formats in addition to PDF to be read.

A few publishers password protect their magazines and require access to be only through their top down software - a bummer. 

• Like 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic