Monsoon storms

Kevin

It doesn't rain much in the lower desert of Arizona. Hardly at all, in fact. So it's a big deal when we do get rain.

We have some heavy rains and thunderstorms coming though right now. I'm in the garage with the door open enjoying it with a beer. I can't get enough of it. The temperature drops 30 degrees, the air smells crisp, nice cool breeze.

The only bad part will be the 106 degree temp with 80% humidity tomorrow.

Those of you outside of dry areas don't appreciate the rain the way we do.

• Like 3

It doesn't rain much in the lower desert of Arizona. Hardly at all, in fact. So it's a big deal when we do get rain.

We have some heavy rains and thunderstorms coming though right now. I'm in the garage with the door open enjoying it with a beer. I can't get enough of it. The temperature drops 30 degrees, the air smells crisp, nice cool breeze.

You're in Chandler, right?. I'm in Tempe (south) all Hell broke loose here. Yikes.

• Like 2

How many inches per year do you get. They call this a cold desert here in this part of Alaska. We get 18" per year and that is counting the snow if you melt it. I have lived in places that got 80-100 inches per year. Olympic Peninsula, Wa right on the ocean and S.E. Alaska on P.O.W. Island.

I didn't know exactly so I had to google it. We average 8 inches per year.

You're in Chandler, right?. I'm in Tempe (south) all Hell broke loose here. Yikes.

Yeah, Chandler. South tempe...you got hit hard by the storm last Thursday, huh?. I couldnt get on the 60 to get home after work due to flooding so I took baseline. Multiple trees down on the main road and water flooding over the curb. My 25 minute commute took 70 minutes.

Oh Jeez. Last Thursday was a mess!!! I had to pull over for 30-45 minutes. It was bad.

Luckily, I'm in a truck with good clearance. Everyone was avoiding the right lane due to the flooding but I just went right down it with no issues. The issues were the downed trees and broken traffic signals at damn near every intersection. Then once I thought I was past it all, there was a downed tree blocking the entrance to my neighborhood.

We (the state and cities) are never prepared for heavy storms.

Luckily, I'm in a truck with good clearance. Everyone was avoiding the right lane due to the flooding but I just went right down it with no issues. The issues were the downed trees and broken traffic signals at damn near every intersection. Then once I thought I was past it all, there was a downed tree blocking the entrance to my neighborhood.

We (the state and cities) are never prepared for heavy storms.

Yeah, I've never seen as many downed tress as I saw after that storm last week. I even saw palm trees down (which never happens). Saw one that snapped the top 1/3 of it off too. That was weird. Driving into Phx the next AM, saw plenty trees and other destruction up 40th street between Van Buren and Camelback too.

Yeah, I've never seen as many downed tress as I saw after that storm last week. I even saw palm trees down (which never happens). Saw one that snapped the top 1/3 of it off too. That was weird. Driving into Phx the next AM, saw plenty trees and other destruction up 40th street between Van Buren and Camelback too.

Yeah, it was quite intense. There was a confirmed funnel cloud in south phoenix that day.

Awww, humidity for a day. You poor things. I've seen 103 and 80% in Florida. 114 and 10% ain't ****.

My balls are stuck to my leg six months out of the year. Though I found your nice dry heat quite refreshing, I'd still prefer cold and dry, a la Colorado.

• Like 1

For half the year or so it is monsoon season here. This half of the state is basically a swamp so the water never really goes away but also never really builds up that much either. Maybe a couple feet here or there for a day or two but it is always localized. Well unless it is a hurricane. Last week a spot less than ten miles from here broke the record for the specific day with a bit less than four inches of rain. There was about 0.4 inches here.

When monsoons hit starting in late June, our temps are typically 105+, often 110+ (We had a pretty long stretch of 115+ this year). Humidity bumps up even though rain may take weeks to arrive and 115 with 15% humidity is tough, but kinda welcome after several weeks of bone dry 110's.

I've lived here my whole life so being excited about rain seems pretty normal.

Monsoons seem to be milder than they used to be, as a kid it was pretty routine that during monsoons, fences, roofs and trees would be tossed everywhere on deeply flooded streets. The storm from last Thursday was more common.

When monsoons hit starting in late June, our temps are typically 105+, often 110+ (We had a pretty long stretch of 115+ this year). Humidity bumps up even though rain may take weeks to arrive and 115 with 15% humidity is tough, but kinda welcome after several weeks of bone dry 110's.

I've lived here my whole life so being excited about rain seems pretty normal.

Monsoons seem to be milder than they used to be, as a kid it was pretty routine that during monsoons, fences, roofs and trees would be tossed everywhere on deeply flooded streets. The storm from last Thursday was more common.

jethro21, what part of The Valley are you in?

We have gotten a few up here are well but we do not get them as good as you do down there. I have been in a few AZ storms, they are fun. I like inclement weather unless I have to fly or drive in it. I will drive in it on purpose, I just don't want to have to get anywhere.

Luckily, I'm in a truck with good clearance. Everyone was avoiding the right lane due to the flooding but I just went right down it with no issues.

Don't be this guy...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"katrina_five_12.jpg","data-attachmentid":5102}[/ATTACH]

When I lived in AZ, I had to drive across the Agua Fria river every day to get to my house. Normally just a few inches deep at the crossing with a good rock base. I got really good at reading the river when the monsoons came and once nearly lost my car when I misjudged the power of water.

I've seen the river come up a few inches during the ten seconds it took to cross it. Also, that muddy water hides the holes it's created underneath. Water erodes earth and roadways very quickly and what may just be a few inches deep can suddenly be a few feet deep with no clues on the surface.

katrina_five_12.jpg.8c4144b940ecead1bc8f803dca252aa4.jpg

• Like 2