The Western Front

gwalchmai

I just saw a thing on the FB talking about Marie Curie using a portable X-Ray machine to save thousands of amputations "on the Western Front". But was it really the Western Front to the French? Wasn't it the French Eastern Front? 

BTW, Marie was the first woman to win multiple Nobel Prizes*

*Until Obama, who has won six or seven so far...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Long ago I watched, all's quiet on the western front, and thought it brought war into real prospective.  It's horrible and it's all about killing.  There is no good side to war, no real glamor to it.  Excellent movie but frightening as it should be.

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I just saw a thing on the FB talking about Marie Curie using a portable X-Ray machine to save thousands of amputations "on the Western Front". But was it really the Western Front to the French? Wasn't it the French Eastern Front? 

BTW, Marie was the first woman to win multiple Nobel Prizes*

*Until Obama, who has won six or seven so far...

It would have been the western front to the French because they would have been intent on retreating to the west.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Eric said:

It would have been the western front to the French because they would have been intent on retreating to the west.

Or as the French say "WE march away from the enemy and hope a different country will fight for us"...   

They have proved that over and over again.  I think the only War they ever one was their own civil war!  :)

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, GT4494 said:

Or as the French say "WE march away from the enemy and hope a different country will fight for us"...   

They have proved that over and over again.  I think the only War they ever one was their own civil war!  :)

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion." - Jed Babbin

• Haha 6

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Eric said:

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion." - Jed Babbin

This quote is often attributed to Norman Schwarzkopf, but he isn't the one who said it.

These words were spoken by Jed Babbin, a former deputy undersecretary of defense in the first Bush administration, during a 30 January 2003 appearance on the political talk show Hardball. The full comment (offered during the course of a discussion about differences between U.S. and European policy towards Iraq) was: " . . . you know frankly, going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. You just leave a lot of useless noisy baggage behind."

• Like 4