Tried something new

LostWife has a beef allergy and I got this bright idea to grind our own pork and turkey. The stuff is $3 to $4 a pound in these parts. Found a couple pork butts for $1.29 a pound and thought no time really better.

Ground 14 pounds of pork and saved a small section that will make a couple meals for us. We'll see how the experiment goes, but the grind looked really good. Packed and in the freezer for about the price of six pounds in the meat department..

I got the grinder a couple years ago for some reason for Christmas. That little grinder is a work horse. I bought a small kitchen scale, and the savings more than offset for the scale. I hope this works out, and turkey will be next when they go on sale later this year.

We'll try out some of the grind later next week.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Lone Star tick carries a nasty disease that causes Alpha Gal. It makes you sick if you eat mammal meat. One of our daughter's friends has it since last summer, and they do this with chicken, turkey, and seafood.  Better than having to go vegan. It killed my cat, and a few other neighborhood animals too. Be careful!

• Sad 4

No chance of that, in this case. She can eat venison, (deer, elk, moose), bison, and most other red meat. Weird, usually when you have a red meat allergy, it is all of it.

Learning to cook with turkey and pork was the big curve. It is a lot better now, and I can make things taste right. Good thing, her condition is really bad these days. Eating fries from the grease the restaurant cooked chicken fried steak really get her in a tailspin. It makes eating out very selective too, as your friends can probably attest.

I had never heard of this Alpha Gal condition. Sounds like a life changer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alpha-gal-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20428608

Its fucked up. They're all over Missouri now. In animals,  it's called Bobcat Fever.

That's Bad Ju Ju.

We have been dealing with her allergy for 15 or more years now. She could throw back a steak that would make near any man hang his head in shame in the day, all 115 pounds of her.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Ramjet38 said:

I like a good pork burger now and then.  Turkey burgers not that found of, but hey, it's still a meal I just use extra ketchup.

Butterball makes some frozen turkey burgers that we really like, and I'm pretty sure I like them better than beef. We like the Red onion flavored. Not sure I taste red onion in them, but they have a good flavor and aren't just a bland patty. 

Pretty cool, toss them on the grill or in the skillet frozen and cook as directed. Makes for a fast easy throw together meal, as a burger or Salisbury steak type meal with taters and gravy.

Plain ground turkey? It goes well in most dishes, but for a tasty patty you have to get your game on and spice it for any satisfying flavor.

• Like 3