Take Your Child To Work Day

6 hours ago, Mrs Glockrunner said:

unnamed (40).png

In my past. My oldest daughter took me to work with her.  She worked in a lab at the same company where I was on the Research Department staff.  We had a great time together.  All the rest of her group brought children.

• Like 2

I was a landlord. It was our family company. My kids got sick of “coming to work”. But they learned to really work and a lot of great skills.

A fun story about them working with me was when my sons earned their Home Improvement Merit Badge.

The requirements are simple skills like cut, sand and paint wood to make something like a birdhouse. Cut a piece of glass. Etc. Nothing too hard or dangerous but teaches them that they can do things for themselves.

They put together a portfolio of work they did when we remodeled four houses. Just tiny 750 square foot starter homes but their work was impressive. But they technically didn’t do any of the requirements in the book  

Welding, pouring concrete, laying bricks, installing pre hung windows,  interior and exterior doors, sanding and finishing hardwood floors, painting by hand and with a sprayer, repairing flat tar and gravel roofs, plumbing including copper soldering, cutting and threading black pipe, pvc, abs and pex. It just went on and on.

The merit badge counselor had to ask permission from the scout council if he could sign off on the badges because they didn’t follow the book. Council said yes and wanted copies of the portfolio’s. 

IMG_5113.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

I was a landlord. It was our family company. My kids got sick of “coming to work”. But they learned to really work and a lot of great skills.

A fun story about them working with me was when my sons earned their Home Improvement Merit Badge.

The requirements are simple skills like cut, sand and paint wood to make something like a birdhouse. Cut a piece of glass. Etc. Nothing too hard or dangerous but teaches them that they can do things for themselves.

They put together a portfolio of work they did when we remodeled four houses. Just tiny 750 square foot starter homes but their work was impressive. But they technically didn’t do any of the requirements in the book  

Welding, pouring concrete, laying bricks, installing pre hung windows,  interior and exterior doors, sanding and finishing hardwood floors, painting by hand and with a sprayer, repairing flat tar and gravel roofs, plumbing including copper soldering, cutting and threading black pipe, pvc, abs and pex. It just went on and on.

The merit badge counselor had to ask permission from the scout council if he could sign off on the badges because they didn’t follow the book. Council said yes and wanted copies of the portfolio’s. 

IMG_5113.png

My father was just like you.  He owned two apartment houses and his opinion was that I could do anything he told me to do.  I learned how to do many things just like your kids, including how to repair huge stained glass windows after the hail storm. 

Of all the things I learned from him, the most important thing was that I wasn't afraid of trying to do something new.  Something that I had never done before.  He gave me the self confidence and determination to do just about anything I set my mind to.

You gave your kids something better than wealth.  You gave them confidence!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

My father was just like you.  He owned two apartment houses and his opinion was that I could do anything he told me to do.  I learned how to do many things just like your kids, including how to repair huge stained glass windows after the hail storm. 

Of all the things I learned from him, the most important thing was that I wasn't afraid of trying to do something new.  Something that I had never done before.  He gave me the self confidence and determination to do just about anything I set my mind to.

You gave your kids something better than wealth.  You gave them confidence!

The difference in successful people and the non, is that successful people do things.  If you want to make money at it, you adapt your failures.

• Thanks 1